or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1980

post #29686 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post

You give him way too much credit. I'm sure he'll like you stroking his ego though. Expect to see in it his Twitter soon.

Don't let your jealousy show too much. Was cox incorrect? Vox did elevate menswear and provided an inspiration for many. Sure he had tons of insider jokes and 'witty' remarks. Doesn't mean he wasn't one of the most influential posters to ever write on SF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post

This is just so beautiful. Anybody know the deets?

tumblr_nswarzwsGt1sod1eho1_1280.jpg

Jack purcells (converse)I believe
post #29687 of 37396
And yes, the goyser through Vass is pretty rustic, it's beautiful, but meant for rather casual, or business/casual shoes.
post #29688 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post


Jack purcells (converse)I believe

Thanks man!


Vox has been a great resource with fit pics and well thought out write-ups.
post #29689 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post
 

Come on. The guy's coherence blurb has become a bible. Very few of his fits are less than stellar (although there are some "old hands" who claim to remember some egregious failures in his early days - which only goes to prove my point).

can you link me to the coherence blurb? I've searched for it before but was unable to find it.

 

I've always thought his buttoning point was a bit high, but he does have style few can match.

post #29690 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperexcelsius View Post
 

can you link me to the coherence blurb? I've searched for it before but was unable to find it.

 

I've always thought his buttoning point was a bit high, but he does have style few can match.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120711003637/http://www.styleforum.net/t/287922/practical-thoughts-on-coherent-combinations-for-beginners

 

F Corbera was vox's second handle/username.

 

He left SF a short while after posting this, and the guide was removed

post #29691 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRaphael View Post
 

I'm searching for the following Drake's shantung tie, any idea where one might purchase it?

 

There's also its sibling, but I prefer the red/burgundy.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Ask one of the armoury guys, they can find out (do trunk shows with drakes, owned by same company,etc)

post #29692 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post
 

http://web.archive.org/web/20120711003637/http://www.styleforum.net/t/287922/practical-thoughts-on-coherent-combinations-for-beginners

 

F Corbera was vox's second handle/username.

 

He left SF a short while after posting this, and the guide was removed

Thanks! Didn't know he had a second username. I've always wondering his reasons for leaving—did he just get bored? It's clear he still lurks here sometimes based on his tumblr, though. I also never understood why he edited out so many of his posts.

post #29693 of 37396
SF kept going through the same endless cycles. The same people argued the same things into the ground - basically, the same thing that happens now except I think the old crew was more harsh with their wording. This is more like, as Bret Easton Ellis would call it, the Generation Wuss of StyleForum.

Anyways, a lot of the members who have long since gone or who only post in the unfunded liabilities thread most likely just got bored with the site after a while.

Foo, Vox, Doc, T4phage, Dopey, and a bunch of others all seem to fall into that category.
post #29694 of 37396
^ True, though I feel Foo for awhile was still starting one epic thread per year.
post #29695 of 37396

Lots of them move to non-CM forums.. I still see manton in a lot of the cooking threads. Foo is active in the architechture/threads about buying stuff for houses. T4Phage is in the meccariello thread, and some of the lesser known european makers.

post #29696 of 37396

Mr. Cox...any relation to Vox?

 

Anyhow,  re ''n.b. I do not peel my potatoes. Most of the nutrients and fibre are in the skin, and the above method maximally preserves those nutrients.''. Do you really eat the skin of every type of potato?

post #29697 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post

SF kept going through the same endless cycles. The same people argued the same things into the ground - basically, the same thing that happens now except I think the old crew was more harsh with their wording. 
 

I think lots of the old threads debate more about regional style and preferences than fit. See whnay good taste, lots of the epic threads about drape, etc. All about style.

post #29698 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

I think lots of the old threads debate more about regional style and preferences than fit. See whnay good taste, lots of the epic threads about drape, etc. All about style.
It was mostly my bespoke is greater than your bespoke or my tailor is the grand poobah of tailoring etc etc and a lot of people cheering. But within those drivel, you get a lot of useful information
post #29699 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Don't let your jealousy show too much. Was cox incorrect? Vox did elevate menswear and provided an inspiration for many. Sure he had tons of insider jokes and 'witty' remarks. Doesn't mean he wasn't one of the most influential posters to ever write on SF.
Jack purcells (converse)I believe

95% of his posts were "insider" jokes or reference jokes. So funny.
post #29700 of 37396

Personally, i never knew much (if at all) about glory-hole clientele until i came across FNB's post on it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)