or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1950

post #29236 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

Has anyone ever moved their jacket button placement - Is it feasible/advisable? Wanted to move buttons up 3/4 an inch or so.


I've had buttons moved several times, however it is never by very much and always done to fine tune a fit where further alteration would be inadvisable or unnecessary. What are you trying to accomplish by moving your buttons?

post #29237 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post


I've had buttons moved several times, however it is never by very much and always done to fine tune a fit where further alteration would be inadvisable or unnecessary. What are you trying to accomplish by moving your buttons?

Tried on an old jacket, buttoning point is just below/at belly button. Normally like to have it a bit above that. Not a huge thing, was just wondering for aesthetics
post #29238 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post


Tried on an old jacket, buttoning point is just below/at belly button. Normally like to have it a bit above that.


So you are not only wanting to move the button but the button hole as well? If so I'd say no way. Impossible.

post #29239 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 


So you are not only wanting to move the button but the button hole as well? If so I'd say no way. Impossible.

Yeah I was wondering how they'd deal with a buttonhole

post #29240 of 37396

I've only had buttons moves slightly to the left or right. I can see moving them up or down if there is an improperly placed button that causes an odd ripple. I cannot imagine closing a button hole and creating a new one would ever look good.

post #29241 of 37396

I unfortunately had a tailor screw up a suit's sleeves because instead of shortening them at the sleevehead, she hemmed the end of the sleeves. Since the buttonholes were functional, now they sit way too close to the edge.

post #29242 of 37396

^^^ That might really bother some people but honestly it's not that big of a deal to me. If having a button close to the edge really bothers you then simply unbutton the closest one to the edge, walk around confidently, and tell anyone who asks that it is your own personal idea of sprezz.

post #29243 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

^^^ That might really bother some people but honestly it's not that big of a deal to me. If having a button close to the edge really bothers you then simply unbutton the closest one to the edge, walk around confidently, and tell anyone who asks that it is your own personal idea of sprezz.

Unfortunately, that's what I'll have to do. I'm kinda OCD about little stuff like that, though, and they're not even equally close to the edge, since one arm is a bit longer than the other.

post #29244 of 37396

Yeah, I completely understand being OCD about certain things. As would most here, I imagine.

post #29245 of 37396
I just opened and closed this thread exactly 17 times so I could move on with my day.
post #29246 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperexcelsius View Post

I unfortunately had a tailor screw up a suit's sleeves because instead of shortening them at the sleevehead, she hemmed the end of the sleeves. Since the buttonholes were functional, now they sit way too close to the edge.

Did you specify how you wanted the sleeves shortened?
post #29247 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post


Did you specify how you wanted the sleeves shortened?

Well, no, because I figured there's only one correct way when the buttons are functional. I guess I know better now.

post #29248 of 37396

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperexcelsius View Post

Well, no, because I figured there's only one correct way when the buttons are functional. I guess I know better now.


So as is par for this thread lately, 50%(or more) of the blame falls on you for not specifying.
post #29249 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post
 


 
So as is par for this thread lately, 50%(or more) of the blame falls on you for not specifying.

Yeah, you live and you learn. Not gonna get too worked up about it. Like CM said, it's just some sprezz.

post #29250 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ter1413 View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by semperexcelsius View Post

Well, no, because I figured there's only one correct way when the buttons are functional. I guess I know better now.


So as is par for this thread lately, 50%(or more) of the blame falls on you for not specifying.

Disagree. Perhaps he erred in his selection of alterations tailor, but a competent tailor would either assume adjusting from the shoulder or point out the impact of shortening the sleeve from the cuff end.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)