Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 4:08 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1919post #28771 of 374977/24/15 at 7:46ampost #28772 of 374977/24/15 at 8:55amThread Starterpost #28773 of 374977/24/15 at 9:32ampost #28774 of 374977/24/15 at 9:48amQuote:Originally Posted by Henry Carter
Not many people know this but at the knot section, a 3 fold and 6/7 fold is exactly the same on the majority of ties, unless they are made ye olde way with one piece of ancient thirst. The folds are finished by about halfway up the front blade, same at the back. They still make for a heavier tie of course, but the thickness at the knot is exactly the same. I've been meaning to pull an older 7 fold apart and take some photos to demonstrate actually, maybe this weekend if I get a chance.
I know the one you are talking about though, the brown neat right? It was a very thick and dry fabric that one and does actually have a thinner interlining, just that the thickness overrides it a bit. Back then I was doing almost all 7 folds though, but in hindsight should have done it 3 fold purely to get the weight down on it.
+10k cyber points for dredging up classic use of "ancient thirst"post #28775 of 374977/24/15 at 9:57ampost #28776 of 374977/24/15 at 10:00ampost #28777 of 374977/24/15 at 10:01ampost #28778 of 374977/24/15 at 10:03ampost #28779 of 374977/24/15 at 10:55ampost #28780 of 374977/24/15 at 11:04ampost #28781 of 374977/24/15 at 11:06amQuote:Originally Posted by Academic2
I also don't find purple ties as easy to pair with jackets as many other colors. "Not as easy" doesn't mean "impossible," of course.
Here's a grenadine stripe, safely paired with a charcoal suit.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I have a few ties that I probably wouldn't wear if I didn't own a charcoal suit.
That one is too LA lakers for me.
Edited by Monkeyface - 7/24/15 at 12:22pmpost #28782 of 374977/24/15 at 11:25ampost #28783 of 374977/24/15 at 11:28amI like the second tie very much. Burnt orange is an excellent, and under-used accent color for Fall/Winter in any gentleman's wardrobe. (In fact consider a pocket square with burnt orange accents, you will wear it a lot) . The tie's mossy green color also looks very seasonal, which is a plus. You probably already have the basic year round colors so yes go with this one and its very seasonal look.
Now, there is one limitation. You said you have a green donegal jacket. I can never get two greens to look good together. So don't count on this working with your green donegal. This will look great against browns, tans, blues, greys, etc., just about any Fall/Winter color except green.
Perhaps the most versatile stripe combination I've found for Fall/WInter is a navy and brown. It has a nice Fall/Winter look and goes with most navy and brown jackets as well as other colors including green jackets. I also have a heather blue and brown silk knit tie that gets a lot of seasonal wear. But heathered silk knits are hard to find.post #28784 of 374977/24/15 at 11:58amQuote:Originally Posted by WhereNext
What do people wear in terms of fabrics for jackets when wearing linen trousers (assuming it's not a suit)? Linen in a different pattern seems somehow odd to me (but I have no idea why). I'm not a huge fan of cotton jackets. Those seem to be the two obvious answers, so I'm wondering if there are other ones...
Is the correct answer to this just linen, cotton, or bamboo? Or are there other options that make sense?
My favorite is usually a mix of silk, linen and wool in a herringbone. The mix of fabrics doesn't wrinkle as much as 100% linen and the look of the herringbone contrasts nicely with the typical weave of linen.
I've also had silk jackets but their look varies greatly by the weave. To go with 100% linen pants it would usually mean a looser weave 100% silk in a pattern like a large POW pattern or a solid high contrast color such as a navy jacket and cream trousers.post #28785 of 374977/24/15 at 12:22pm
Nothing against the lakers, but they kind of 'own' that colour combination. Anything yellow/purple will make loads of people think of the lakers. It's a nice tie if you're going to watch a game (if you wear suits when you're doing that), but I wouldn't wear it regularly.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › FS: Peal & Company by C&J Dark Brown Country Calf/Harris Tweed Size... 6 seconds ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 1 minute ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 1 minute ago
- › NFL 2016-17 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice 4 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 5 minutes ago
- › FS: Trickers Piccadilly Beechnut UK size 12F 8 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 8 minutes ago
- › Ralph Lauren Purple Label Rossendale Dress shoes 10D/10.5D Crockett... 10 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 11 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...