or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1887

post #28291 of 37392
Just some interesting observations from work.

My boss wears menswear house suits and AE/Aldens. Then there is me. Finance dudes wears Macy's suits and ferragamo shoes. My team wears josabanks with Kenneth Cole shoes.

Everyone thinks I wear really expensive items. Hence the incident when someone from another team asked if I wore Prada shoes. Then I told him they were C&J and I got the deer in the head lights look.

I did take couple guys from my team to a local susu and they did get suits while I sat in the high chair and didn't get anything. #dumb
post #28292 of 37392

There is a distinct thinning of goodnaturedness in the air.  If I might offer a spritz:

 

Dressing like a boss, and dressing as the boss, are different things.  

 

Wearing a suit that fits well - tailored or off the peg - and made of good cloth, wearing good shoes that are appropriate and fit, choosing tasteful accessories and a crisp, unobtrusive shirt with a good collar, is dressing like a boss.  It can be very expensive.  But it needn't be expensive at all.  Unless you're an SF nerd, the qualitative difference between a nice pair of black calf oxfords from Barker or Loake, and a pair from Edward Green or John Lobb, is infinitesimal.  To most people, even people who dress well, it is in fact invisible.  Likewise, a plain charcoal or navy suit from Suitsupply's clearance for $350 that happens to be the cut that fits you best, is indistinguishable in quality to even a reasonably educated eye, from a Gieves & Hawkes MTM in a cloth of similar weight and weave.  Add a plain square, half a dozen semi-spread collar light blue and white shirts from TM Lewin, and a half price bargain Drake's madder from the ET sale or wherever, and a thousand bucks goes a long way.  In short, dressing with quality and style - like the boss you want to be - need neither be expensive, nor offensive.  But it will make you look very good.

 

Perhaps that is also how your boss dresses.  Perhaps it's also how the boss of bosses dresses.  It doesn't matter, even if you're  a snot-nosed intern or new entry-level graduate recruit.  A decent navy suit, black captoes, plain shirt and tasteful tie are offending nobody.  They just make you look serious.  A plain white square might be just enough to make people think you're trying.  At worst.  But when it comes to dressing as  a boss, it's relative.  If most people don't wear double cuffs, your doing so steps it up.  If most people wear plain suits, going for a fat chalk stripe is a statement.  A three piece is dandy.  Adding red braces or socks to all of the above and you're downright shouting.  And when you're a director or VP aiming for the top, maybe you can get away with looking that aggressively "city".  So that's the judgement call: doing enough, or making a statement?  A lot depends on your personality, as well as your company and your position within it.  Like a boss might be enough, might even be wise, as the boss will be right when it's right.

 

In the mean time, I can't think of any scenario where it would be a bad idea to show up to your new office in a comfortable navy suit with polished black captoes, a light shirt and a madder neat.

post #28293 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

Re: funeral attire, I have always gone with a charcoal suit, white shirt and black tie. [...]

 

Me too.

 

In my experience in the U.S., charcoal is always appropriate at a funeral, whether one is a relative of the deceased or just there to extend condolences.  Something like a state funeral would be an exception, but that's an international, not a national convention.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #28294 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post

 

Me too.

 

In my experience in the U.S., charcoal is always appropriate at a funeral, whether one is a relative of the deceased or just there to extend condolences.  Something like a state funeral would be an exception, but that's an international, not a national convention.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

 



Resolved: have different colored suits for different solemnities in different countries, steer clear of finance nerds, luxuriate in not having a boss, continue shopping.
post #28295 of 37392
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post
 

Ok, I'm going to wear a bespoke three piece suit and tie with a pocket square on Monday, because apparently I'm wrong. I'll report back with feedback. Dress for the job you want, right?

I too wish to work in menswear.

post #28296 of 37392

One can always menswear at work.

post #28297 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
 

I too wish to work in menswear.

 

You'd probably raise some eyebrows if were to work in womenswear.

post #28298 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
 

I too wish to work in menswear.

 

 

“Hi.  Welcome to Claghorn Bespoke.  We ask all new clients to fill out this short survey.  It helps us determine what shade of dark blue is best for you.”

 

Cheers,

 

Ac  :)

post #28299 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Just some interesting observations from work.

My boss wears menswear house suits and AE/Aldens. Then there is me. Finance dudes wears Macy's suits and ferragamo shoes. My team wears josabanks with Kenneth Cole shoes.

Everyone thinks I wear really expensive items. Hence the incident when someone from another team asked if I wore Prada shoes. Then I told him they were C&J and I got the deer in the head lights look.

I did take couple guys from my team to a local susu and they did get suits while I sat in the high chair and didn't get anything. #dumb


Out of sheer morbid curiosity, how do you know where your bosses/co-workers buy their suits/shoes? Is this a thing that's commonly discussed at work? I'm genuinely curious about this, as I can't remember having any brand-specific conversation among colleagues about clothes. Which may be because I'm anti-social, of course....

post #28300 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereNext View Post


Out of sheer morbid curiosity, how do you know where your bosses/co-workers buy their suits/shoes? Is this a thing that's commonly discussed at work? I'm genuinely curious about this, as I can't remember having any brand-specific conversation among colleagues about clothes. Which may be because I'm anti-social, of course....
They tell me and ask me for advice. Then they also aSK what I wear.
post #28301 of 37392
I know where my bosses and coworkers buy their stuff. Primarily because I sell it to them LOL
post #28302 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

They tell me and ask me for advice. Then they also aSK what I wear.

Are you the one helping them with their picnik attacks?
post #28303 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereNext View Post


Out of sheer morbid curiosity, how do you know where your bosses/co-workers buy their suits/shoes? Is this a thing that's commonly discussed at work? I'm genuinely curious about this, as I can't remember having any brand-specific conversation among colleagues about clothes. Which may be because I'm anti-social, of course....

I've had some guys at work ask me to help them pick out a tie for a wedding or interview on the DL haha ... that's about it.

I've had women stop me quite a few times around Boston asking for details about a specific item, though, because they want to look for something similar for their boyfriend or husband or whatever.
post #28304 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post


I've had some guys at work ask me to help them pick out a tie for a wedding or interview on the DL haha ... that's about it.

I've had women stop me quite a few times around Boston asking for details about a specific item, though, because they want to look for something similar for their boyfriend or husband or whatever.


Yeah, I've gotten asked at work a few times for advice, but not full on "where do you buy your stuff" conversations. In South Africa, interestingly, I've been stopped by a few men on the street as well, with either a "nice *insert item of clothing*" comment; much more so than I've gotten in the other countries I've lived in. It does happen with women as well, but that's always so depressing when they then add in the "I want to get something like this for my boyfriend/husband"....

I did have one of my MBA students ask me where I bought my stuff and, before I could even answer, he said "Nah, you probably get that stuff made". When I said "yes", his immediate response was "I have to move to London!"

post #28305 of 37392

@Monkeyface lol thanks for the GNA. I wasn't planning on wearing anything obnoxiously above my position (red suspenders, three piece chalk stripe, loud pocket squares, etc.). But it's good to know that you can pretty much wear whatever navy, charcoal suits, white and blue shirts, etc. that you want as long as you don't advertise it. Thanks to everyone else who offered up their perspectives as well!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)