To be fair, mine is much lighter that it is easier to find contrasting pants to wear it with, and it has a strong pattern so it's much more informal
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 5:53 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1837post #27541 of 374977/12/15 at 11:03pmpost #27542 of 374977/12/15 at 11:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by venividivicibj
Speaking of light grey, I was thinking about a jacket in this, from Moonbeam
That would work with dark grey flannels, sure. A light (color) grey odd in a plaid is fine with dk grey trews imo I think I (and other more eminent SF members) have said it elsewhere.post #27543 of 374977/12/15 at 11:55pmA grey herringbone jacket is best when it's a large scale tweed and medium grey. Not as dark as this one. It'll have enough textural contrast with light grey trousers to prevent the suit look. Looks great with denim and chinos as well.
It wouldn't be in my top 5 though, and maybe not even in my top 10.
Edited by Monkeyface - 7/13/15 at 12:13ampost #27544 of 374977/13/15 at 12:16ampost #27545 of 374977/13/15 at 12:40am
This is my first post in this thread.
I would like to get some opinions on interview ties.
Some background info:
1. I moved to the San Francisco Bay Area. Since I'm interviewing in the high-tech world, the business dress is quite casual--even for executives and salespeople. Gingham shirts, sneakers, and selvedge cuffed jeans EVERYWHERE, even at the 'big' and 'college-grad-dream' companies.
2. I think too formal, i.e. double-cuffs, coordinated silk pocket square/tie, and/or wingtips are seen as intimidating--even by VPs and hiring managers.
3. I am early 30s, looking at management track careers in high-tech sales.
My initial thought is a conservative cut charcoal gray suit.
White barrel cuff, point-collar, oxford cloth shirt.
White linen pocket square in a square fold.
Which tie would you go with?
...or none of the above?
Would any of you go with something with a more interesting print, e.g. Hermes?
I'm thinking in my head: Hermes geometric or animal print = fun team player in high-tech world.
Or conservative, traditional interview tie = intimidating, no fun, pretentious.post #27546 of 374977/13/15 at 12:47amNothing pretentious about wearing a conservative tie for your first interview. It just shows that you actually bothered preparing both sartorially and mentally (we hope) for the interview, that you care.
Oh, and I'd go with tie #3 in the second picture. It's got a bit of texture (grenadine?), but won't steal too much attention away from yourself.post #27547 of 374977/13/15 at 12:56amQuote:Originally Posted by Monkeyface
A grey herringbone jacket is best when it's a large scale tweed and medium grey. Not as dark as this one. It'll have enough textural contrast with light grey trousers to prevent the suit look. Looks great with denim and chinos as well.
It wouldn't be in my top 5 though, and maybe not even in my top 10.
My herringbone SC sees the most wear after plain navy hopsack. Plenty versatile IMO, can be dressed up as well as down.
One of my favourite ways to wear it is with dark denim and chocolate chelsea boots.
Edit: @timhortons, what EFV said. Perhaps you could try a light blue shirt to make it look less severe?
If you're going to work in sales, I believe it's just as important that your mode of dressing is acceptable to your target market, as it is to fit in with your company culture.
Good luck with your interviews !
Edited by EliodA - 7/13/15 at 1:09ampost #27548 of 374977/13/15 at 3:15ampost #27549 of 374977/13/15 at 3:31ampost #27550 of 374977/13/15 at 5:56ampost #27551 of 374977/13/15 at 6:06ampost #27552 of 374977/13/15 at 6:18ampost #27553 of 374977/13/15 at 6:20ampost #27554 of 374977/13/15 at 6:33am
This. Plus the texture of the second jacket makes it far more interesting. And are those metal buttons on the first jacket? Metal buttons on a non-navy odd jacket are not a good idea (assuming you have not won a particular major golf tournament).post #27555 of 374977/13/15 at 6:39amQuote:
I believe they are light brown horn
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Scent/Fragrance of the Day thread 1 minute ago
- › Cars We Drive! 2 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 4 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 6 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 13 minutes ago
- › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice 17 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds x Massdrop Unlined Chukka Boot Review/Info 26 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 26 minutes ago
- › Yohji, Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Looser Fit... 32 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...