or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1795

post #26911 of 37396

Hey Noodlers, I have a question regarding lapel pins, with a long pin back.  Is it a matter of preference to have the lapel pin terminate above the lapel or even make a short and brief appearance on the top of the lapel?  I see this from time-to-time and it makes me wonder if I am wearing mine properly.  

 

Personally I always hide the pin on the back side of the lapel.  However I'd like to get the what the vibe is amongst some of the best dressed.

post #26912 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

No, she's been doing a makeover. The bootcut jeans are not her work.
Do you have input into how your wife dresses?
post #26913 of 37396

I'm very happy with my pleated trousers, which are mostly double forward pleat by Polo Ralph Lauren (Corneliani). Posted a couple of pictures about a month ago in this thread when Noodles was considering them/suspenders. With a jacket, nobody can tell except me, who is very happy to have the comfort and appearance they provide.


It's gotten to the point that I'm rather quickly trying to phase out my low-rise wool trousers (think Banana Republic, J Crew, etc.) for mid and higher-rise pieces, and even with those I often wish they had a single forward pleat (which I have never worn but seems like a tremendous idea) because with my bigger thighs and posterior a standard flat front trouser doesn't look as good IMO.

post #26914 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperE View Post

Hey Noodlers, I have a question regarding lapel pins, with a long pin back.  Is it a matter of preference to have the lapel pin terminate above the lapel or even make a short and brief appearance on the top of the lapel?  I see this from time-to-time and it makes me wonder if I am wearing mine properly.  

Personally I always hide the pin on the back side of the lapel.  However I'd like to get the what the vibe is amongst some of the best dressed.

The best dressed don't wear lapel pins.
post #26915 of 37396
Thread Starter 
I have a good amount of input as to how my wife dressed. The reverse isn't true, though she's developed very good tastes in squares and ties (to the extent that she can purchase gifts for me without worry)
post #26916 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post

Do you have input into how your wife dresses?
She dresses well since she studied fashion in Paris for 3 years. But I do have my input via frowns and shaking my head in disapprovements.
post #26917 of 37396
Looking to be more efficient with closet storage. Does anyone use pant trolleys? Seems like an ideal solution because the trolley would fit in a section below my wive's dresses.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/woodlore-pant-trolley/118840
post #26918 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

In general, do suits make you look old? Or is the more appropriate description mature?

In general a conservative suit will make a younger guy look more mature and authoritative. In my late 20's and early 30's I use to notice how I was treated differently when dressed up.

But, you can also dress up and look like an frumpy old guy or a security guard.

As, one of the more "mature" guys here, I try to avoid certain default looks of ancient Baby Boomers (Blue blazer, brass buttons, full cut medium grey trouser with rubber soled loafers) because everyone who is 80 is wearing that when they dress up. With a bit of flair, style and updated tailoring, a navy blazer or navy suit mixed with a few interesting items can actually make you look younger. IMHO. It's all about how you do it. But it isn't just your suit. Its also your hair cut, your eyeglasses (or sunglasses) , the style of your shoes and the attitude you project that gives people an impression of your age.
post #26919 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsbebc View Post

Looking to be more efficient with closet storage. Does anyone use pant trolleys? Seems like an ideal solution because the trolley would fit in a section below my wive's dresses.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/woodlore-pant-trolley/118840
I use a clamp hanger and hang my trousers upside down straight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusW View Post

In general a conservative suit will make a younger guy look more mature and authoritative. In my late 20's and early 30's I use to notice how I was treated differently when dressed up.

But, you can also dress up and look like an frumpy old guy or a security guard.

As, one of the more "mature" guys here, I try to avoid certain default looks of ancient Baby Boomers (Blue blazer, brass buttons, full cut medium grey trouser with rubber soled loafers) because everyone who is 80 is wearing that when they dress up. With a bit of flair, style and updated tailoring, a navy blazer or navy suit mixed with a few interesting items can actually make you look younger. IMHO. It's all about how you do it. But it isn't just your suit. Its also your hair cut, your eyeglasses (or sunglasses) , the style of your shoes and the attitude you project that gives people an impression of your age.
Thx for the feedback. I think it just is my wife. Wonder what she will say to JCrews suits.
post #26920 of 37396
Walked into a NM.
I was happy that no one botheres me until I had a question. I tried on the usual Zegna and the Isaia suits and they looked bad. So I asked a SA if they had suits with British influence. He said Tom Ford. First off, is he right? Anyways, I was surprised to hear this and quickly ran over to Tom Ford section to try on a size 41 D line and here is what I have to report back. The shoulders are awesome. The tapered waist kills any hints of a pear shape. Thoughts?


post #26921 of 37396
Those shoulders are pretty spot on for you. Tom Ford is awesome. I always thought he was a mix between English and Italian though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

No, she's been doing a makeover. The bootcut jeans are not her work.

I have expressed strong rejections at her suggestions for casual wear. But she recommends stuff from jcrew. I asked why don't I wear a nice patterned pale blue dress shirt roll up the sleeves and wear with a grey trousers? She said that would still make me look old. So I am putting on t-shirts and polo shorts. Sigh

Wear j crew chinos. Boot cut jeans rarely look good, especially without boots.

I'm way younger than you and i wear unconstructed cotton sport coats with chinos or jeans all the time.
post #26922 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post


Ohhhh, is that what we think?

 

In my experience, non Americans seem to think that all Americans think alike even though there are 330,000,000+ of us who can't agree on things like who should be allowed to get married and whether or not we'd like health care for free. On the other hand... Non Americans are 7,000,000,000+ people who I just accused of all thinking alike, sooo...

post #26923 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Walked into a NM.
I was happy that no one botheres me until I had a question. I tried on the usual Zegna and the Isaia suits and they looked bad. So I asked a SA if they had suits with British influence. He said Tom Ford. First off, is he right? Anyways, I was surprised to hear this and quickly ran over to Tom Ford section to try on a size 41 D line and here is what I have to report back. The shoulders are awesome. The tapered waist kills any hints of a pear shape. Thoughts?
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

I don't like the slim lapels on that one, but TF does have some very nice cuts. Most of them are very structured with roped shoulders, and do look awesome when worn right. Too bad they're very expensive though. Bespoke pricing for RTW.

 

Anyways, go burn that orange polo and buy a nice one. They aren't that expensive, and would instantly make you look much younger, if that's what you want.

post #26924 of 37396
Obviously there is no way that I will spend 5000 USD on that suit. But I kept on looking at the lapels and thought TF doesnt do narrow peak but seems like he does. Lapels aside, is the fit on this good? Much better than ( )? I am not sure why but it seems the pear effect is non-existent. How is the fit besides the lapels? Should I pursue this type of styling?
Thx RTC for the feedback and good to see you back(?)
post #26925 of 37396
^ Nothing wrong with TF, noodles. Looks good

TF is actually Zegna made. The highest level of construction they do
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)