or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1793

post #26881 of 37396
I think I'm going to start getting trousers from Ambrosi because my odd jackets/trousers collection is weak. Since I'm too poor to get like 10 pairs all at once to cover everything, what color/type of trousers is the most versatile?
post #26882 of 37396

I'm looking for a little advice with regards to a suit I just picked up recently.  I bought this Zegna suit off of ebay recently.  It appears to be in good condition, and the jacket fits me well (I'm 6'3, so I think 3 button jackets work well for me).  However, what I failed to take note of before purchasing is that it has pleated pants.  I contacted a local tailor to ask if they can remove pleats, and they said they could, but it would be expensive ($150 on top of any other alterations) and it would take a long time.  My question is, would it be worth it?  Considering how little I paid, I could certainly afford to invest more into the suit, but I just wanted to make sure it's not a lost cause.  It seems my choices are to either remove the pleats, keep them as is and just wear it anyway, or put the suit back up on ebay.  I would be wearing this mainly in a conservative business setting.

post #26883 of 37396
I'd leave it as is. Who knows how it will turn out after the tailor gets done with it.
post #26884 of 37396
Why do you want the pleats removed? It's classic, and it's also coming back in fashion (if you care about such things).
post #26885 of 37396
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperexcelsius View Post

I think I'm going to start getting trousers from Ambrosi because my odd jackets/trousers collection is weak. Since I'm too poor to get like 10 pairs all at once to cover everything, what color/type of trousers is the most versatile?

Since you are looking for multiple pairs and money is somewhat a consideration, why are you wanting to go to one of the more expensive trouser tailors out there?
post #26886 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

Since you are looking for multiple pairs and money is somewhat a consideration, why are you wanting to go to one of the more expensive trouser tailors out there?
Because isn't he one of the best? I don't have trouble spending money in the long run as I build up a collection, I was just asking more from the point of view that I will have to wear the first pair or two more often and with more outfits until I acquire more.

However, if there's a tailor as good as Ambrosi for less, let me know and I'll definitely reconsider my choice.
post #26887 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperexcelsius View Post

Because isn't he one of the best? I don't have trouble spending money in the long run as I build up a collection, I was just asking more from the point of view that I will have to wear the first pair or two more often and with more outfits until I acquire more.

However, if there's a tailor as good as Ambrosi for less, let me know and I'll definitely reconsider my choice.

I've seen some beautiful trousers from BnT, NSM and Corcos. They're all less expensive than Ambrosi.
post #26888 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFV View Post

Why do you want the pleats removed? It's classic, and it's also coming back in fashion (if you care about such things).

I have pretty slim legs and I feel like the pleats make it look baggy.  They're double reverse pleats, if that makes any difference.  And at the same time, I'm really not looking for a super slim suit or anything like that.  I guess I'm just wondering if they'd make the suit look hopelessly dated.

post #26889 of 37396
I am so close to a Suit Supply store but I am stuck at a MadeWell(?) store that has no mens clothing.

Oh, and I walked into an Apple store and took a big #2 and just walked out.
post #26890 of 37396
Thread Starter 
My wife buys tons of stuff from MadeWell. I think it's her favorite store.
post #26891 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamgrinus View Post

I'm looking for a little advice with regards to a suit I just picked up recently.  I bought this Zegna suit off of ebay recently.  It appears to be in good condition, and the jacket fits me well (I'm 6'3, so I think 3 button jackets work well for me).  However, what I failed to take note of before purchasing is that it has pleated pants.  I contacted a local tailor to ask if they can remove pleats, and they said they could, but it would be expensive ($150 on top of any other alterations) and it would take a long time.  My question is, would it be worth it?  Considering how little I paid, I could certainly afford to invest more into the suit, but I just wanted to make sure it's not a lost cause.  It seems my choices are to either remove the pleats, keep them as is and just wear it anyway, or put the suit back up on ebay.  I would be wearing this mainly in a conservative business setting.

Leave the pleats. Wear it as it is. Pleats don't make a suit looks dated.

Next time don't get pleats. Problem solved.
post #26892 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamgrinus View Post

I'm looking for a little advice with regards to a suit I just picked up recently.  I bought this Zegna suit off of ebay recently.  It appears to be in good condition, and the jacket fits me well (I'm 6'3, so I think 3 button jackets work well for me).  However, what I failed to take note of before purchasing is that it has pleated pants.  I contacted a local tailor to ask if they can remove pleats, and they said they could, but it would be expensive ($150 on top of any other alterations) and it would take a long time.  My question is, would it be worth it?  Considering how little I paid, I could certainly afford to invest more into the suit, but I just wanted to make sure it's not a lost cause.  It seems my choices are to either remove the pleats, keep them as is and just wear it anyway, or put the suit back up on ebay.  I would be wearing this mainly in a conservative business setting.

How much do you dislike pleats? I can't remember the last time I bought anything other than flat front pants, but I tend to have things made and can specify such details. I will say that if you are to have pleats on something, a suit seems like a decent choice since you'll be wearing the jacket, making the pleats less noticeable, and won't be wearing the trousers separately (maybe if you take your jacket off in the office, but not deliberately as separates).
post #26893 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

My wife buys tons of stuff from MadeWell. I think it's her favorite store.
I just wish my wife would stop shopping. I mean, when was the last time I spent money on a suit. I can't even remember the last time I bought a suit
post #26894 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post


How much do you dislike pleats? I can't remember the last time I bought anything other than flat front pants, but I tend to have things made and can specify such details. I will say that if you are to have pleats on something, a suit seems like a decent choice since you'll be wearing the jacket, making the pleats less noticeable, and won't be wearing the trousers separately (maybe if you take your jacket off in the office, but not deliberately as separates).

 

That's a really good point and makes me a lot more comfortable with them.  Thanks!

post #26895 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamgrinus View Post

I have pretty slim legs and I feel like the pleats make it look baggy.  They're double reverse pleats, if that makes any difference.  And at the same time, I'm really not looking for a super slim suit or anything like that.  I guess I'm just wondering if they'd make the suit look hopelessly dated.

They definitely don't make the suit look dated. I've just looked at collections from a lot of the best suit brands in the world, and a lot of them are bringing back pleats to their trousers (and a lot of them never stopped making them).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)