This was a while ago, more than a year, certainly.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:29 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1773post #26581 of 375336/29/15 at 3:56pmpost #26582 of 375336/29/15 at 4:01pm
(1) Of possible interest to the management: I’ve bought a number of things from affiliate vendors, but I have never bought anything through an ad.
I don’t click on ads, pretty much ever, here or elsewhere. Aesthetics has nothing to do with it, it’s about security. Of course I've no idea how typical I am in this respect.
(2) I use Firefox. If I get irritated enough, I can eliminate ads on the side of the screen just by hitting control+ as many times as needed to enlarge the screen image to the point that the sides get 'cropped out', as it were.
But mostly I'm pretty good at just ignoring irritating stuff on the 'net.
Acpost #26583 of 375336/29/15 at 4:09pmQuote:Originally Posted by LA Guy
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Just fwiw, the forum, in June alone, sent our editor-in-chief to Japan, where he gathered tons of material for upcoming newsletters as well as a really entertaining travelogue. He also paid a nominal sum for his guide and translator. We also paid for expenses for coverage of Pitti, and I went to Victoria to get photos for a story and to make sure that we would continue to work with Viberg, which is a highly sought after boot company with whom we are privileged to work (they turn away tons of clients.)
That's not including salaries for us, for our sales and account management team, nor hosting and technical services.
Just so that you know that a lot goes on under the hood. Obviously, you don't like the way the AE ads were presented, and that represents a failing on both the part of AE and Styleforum. But advertising does ensure that this place stays around and that we get to continue to do cool things.
Thanks for popping into the thread to reply to this and other things as well.
I stated my opinion about how the layout looks without the presence of an ad blocker and I won't prattle on about that. Not my style.
I do appreciate you being open about where some of the money goes.post #26584 of 375336/29/15 at 4:09pmpost #26585 of 375336/29/15 at 4:12pm
I don't see myself ever wearing Black Derbies with anything but my one grey Sports Coat. Even with a navy SC I see brown, light brown or burgundy better options than black for me. Vass is my sweet spot of price, quality and accessibility here in Toronto but I don't think I'd want to spend Vass money on Black Derbies. Am I off about the 'place' of the black derby in the rotation? Also, I'm seeing a lot of Derbies with Dainite soles, is it some sort of standard that Derbys have Dainite instead of leather soles?
I've never spent time in SoCal but compared to WV/Kentucky/Ohio, Toronto and Vancouver are an entirely different level.
Edited by Bill Dlwgosh - 6/29/15 at 4:37pmpost #26586 of 375336/29/15 at 4:14pmQuote:
This happened to me once. It was when I was working on a security detail for a high profile client. The guys and I were chilling in the break room playing pool while the boss finished his meeting. A ball dropped on the ground and I bent over to pick it up. RIIIIIIIIIPPPPP! Thankfully for me he didn't want to do a walking tour, otherwise his security would have been showing their boxers the whole time. The good thing, of course, was that it was a cheap Middle Eastern suit. I would have died if it was Formosa.post #26587 of 375336/29/15 at 4:15pmTo answer the clothing question, I always opt for brown shoes over black if I'm not wearing a suit.
And even some suits will look nicer with brown shoes ...
If you aren't going to wear them often, and Vass is the top of your price range, I wouldn't spend Vass money on black derbies. You can come down in price a little for a shoe that won't see a lot of wear without totally punting the quality of it.post #26588 of 375336/29/15 at 4:17pmpost #26589 of 375336/29/15 at 4:18pmpost #26590 of 375336/29/15 at 4:20pm
Caustic, is that jacket also by your local tailor? I like the fit, especially the shoulders. I'd still prefer Dark Oak there though, as my particular preference, although I do see what you're doing there with the tie.
Edit: The EGs that I just missed the delivery guy tonight, am hoping they will fit:
The Carminas (Pic via Skoak) that I am considering 'settling' for as I don't expect to wear black derbies more than a couple of times a year, save possibly with jeans:post #26591 of 375336/29/15 at 4:21pmpost #26592 of 375336/29/15 at 4:22pmQuote:
No, it's a Black and Brown jacket from Lord & Taylor. I really like the fit of it though.post #26593 of 375336/29/15 at 4:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by sugarbutch
I didn't mind the ads until they got to the point that pages wouldn't load because of them. I broke down and installed Adblocker, and StyFo performance was transformed. I would feel bad about it except that I've never clicked on an ad. On the other hand, I have purchased from vendors who advertise based on actual forum content.
I installed Adblocker today because of the AE ad. It was causing the site to lag when I scrolled and was getting irritating. After enabling Adblocker the lag went away.post #26594 of 375336/29/15 at 4:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by TM79
To answer the clothing question, I always opt for brown shoes over black if I'm not wearing a suit.
And even some suits will look nicer with brown shoes ...
If you aren't going to wear them often, and Vass is the top of your price range, I wouldn't spend Vass money on black derbies. You can come down in price a little for a shoe that won't see a lot of wear without totally punting the quality of it.
Black and any sort of blue never looks optimal for me. Dark brown, or burgundy, just always looks better.post #26595 of 375336/29/15 at 4:36pmQuote:
Having lived in Athens Ohio for 4 years, Columbus for 10 years, and Ohio for 35, I once considered Buckeye tailgates to have been a mecca for attractive women... then I spent 5 minutes in Toronto. Canada is having its melting pot years right now, as we 'speak', out my window. There is an international infusion to these cities that Lexington and Parkersburg and Dayton will never be able to compete with. It's not their fault, but the fact remains... Toronto in the Summer is a not so hidden gem.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 1 second ago
- › Navy suede loafers U.S. size 11 by Ermenegildo Zegna 2 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 6 minutes ago
- › 2017 50 Book Challenge 10 minutes ago
- › NWOT BARBA NAPOLI SKY BLUE WINDOWPANE SPORT COAT EU54R FITS EU52 /... 13 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 14 minutes ago
- › Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0,... 14 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 14 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › The Current Popular Menswear Pieces
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway