looking for ad-block for chrome now...
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:46 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1771post #26551 of 373656/29/15 at 2:32pmpost #26552 of 373656/29/15 at 2:34pm
Absolutely. At work I am confined to IE so that's the only time I see the new "design". Yuck.
As for what CM said - yes, advertising drives revenue (I'd guess not much revenue in the case of these AE monstrosities but that's neither here nor there) but there's also a way to do it that doesn't turn off people and make them purposely not click anything.
This is probably the second worst way of advertising - the first being pop up boxes the second you go to a site.post #26553 of 373656/29/15 at 2:41pmpost #26554 of 373656/29/15 at 2:46pmQuote:
Adblock. Get it. No more ads ever. I've seen how this site looks without it, and it's by far the worst advertising I've seen on a forum ever. SF is turning into a quick money grab forum. Just from AVs they're pulling in loads of money.post #26555 of 373656/29/15 at 2:55pmpost #26556 of 373656/29/15 at 2:56pmThread Starterpost #26557 of 373656/29/15 at 2:58pmWhile Bill is correct, it's still just a forum that honestly doesn't cost much money per month to keep running. And as MonkeyFace said, there is decent revenue coming from all the AVs (and there are a lot now) alone. It's forced monetization which is why it looks so horrible. I really doubt many direct purchases will be made by clicking the ads so it's simply being designed to intentionally create tons of misclicks. That seems shitty to me.
And it's not a knock on anyone personally running the site. I think it's a flat out shitty way for anyone to design something.
If the people running the site want to treat it like a part-time job and draw a salary, that's fine. I just wish they'd do it in a more tasteful way.
Anyways, that's all I'll say about it. I won't beat it into the ground.post #26558 of 373656/29/15 at 3:03pmThread Starterpost #26559 of 373656/29/15 at 3:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by Claghorn
@LA Guy has complained to Huddler, I think, about the wall to wall ads. To no avail, I guess.
I've got nothing against site skins, and I thought that this one was done reasonably well, though I'm not fond of the "seconds" branding. I don't typically see the creatives until the last moment.post #26560 of 373656/29/15 at 3:10pmQuote:
It actually costs a lot to keep a site of this size, and a fair number of people, to keep this place running.
I will keep the comments about the quality of the creatives in mind, though, for the next go around.post #26561 of 373656/29/15 at 3:11pmpost #26562 of 373656/29/15 at 3:12pmpost #26563 of 373656/29/15 at 3:20pmQuote:
Just fwiw, the forum, in June alone, sent our editor-in-chief to Japan, where he gathered tons of material for upcoming newsletters as well as a really entertaining travelogue. He also paid a nominal sum for his guide and translator. We also paid for expenses for coverage of Pitti, and I went to Victoria to get photos for a story and to make sure that we would continue to work with Viberg, which is a highly sought after boot company with whom we are privileged to work (they turn away tons of clients.)
That's not including salaries for us, for our sales and account management team, nor hosting and technical services.
Just so that you know that a lot goes on under the hood. Obviously, you don't like the way the AE ads were presented, and that represents a failing on both the part of AE and Styleforum. But advertising does ensure that this place stays around and that we get to continue to do cool things.post #26564 of 373656/29/15 at 3:29pm
Your house, your rules, but juxtaposing these AE ads with your ability to "live the dream" might not be the best visual. Ads to keep the lights on would be something everyone understands, ads for sartorial vacations might prove slightly more controversial.post #26565 of 373656/29/15 at 3:32pmThread Starter
Just for reference, this is what everyone sees without adblock, right?
Fok, you've mentioned not liking this kind of stuff, right?
I realize this is technically better suited for the thread in GC, but we're all good natured fellows here, and this thread is no stranger to off topic conversations spanning a few pages.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Crusty's "What I wore on this Date in History" - a walk down memory... 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 13 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 17 minutes ago
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 23 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 26 minutes ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 29 minutes ago
- › Trump is #2 in GOP Field 32 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 34 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 34 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...