Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:21 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1760post #26386 of 375376/26/15 at 7:30pmpost #26387 of 375376/26/15 at 7:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by The Noodles
How these shoes looking? Are the Rain lasts pretty...accommodating?
I am 8.5 UK with C&J, anyone have idea how this translates to Carminas?
I wear 8.5 UK Rain and 9US for whatever last the Polo Marlow Wingtip is on from C&Jpost #26388 of 375376/26/15 at 7:38pmpost #26389 of 375376/26/15 at 7:44pmpost #26390 of 375376/26/15 at 7:46pmpost #26391 of 375376/26/15 at 7:49pmpost #26392 of 375376/26/15 at 8:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by Monkeyface
Meermin takes forever to soften up. Maybe 10-20 wears, if not more. You can bend the sole by hand dozens of times to break them in without blisters.
You could also put the end of a broom or any stick in the heel area and push down in all directions to soften up the heel. Obviously I don't buy meermin anymore because of this. The only exception is their suede shoes, which tend to break in much faster.
Their regular line suede shoes are good value for money. Their regular line leather or their LM line leather shoes are not. You're better off buying Carmina. It's nice that Meermin LM is handwelted, but it doesn't offset the fact that shoes take forever to break in and the lack of quality control.
Yeah, I wanted to try them out for myself, and from a QC perspective the ones I received appear to be tip-top for the regular line. Honestly at that price it's cool if they aren't perfect and I'll mash the leather up good (thanks for the tips). I got ones with a rubber sole anyway so they could be the rainy day shoes. The Carminas I bought are clearly superior; those are suede - and $400 is pretty much my shoe ceiling for the moment so I'm not going any further than new Carmina or slightly-used/seconds from a higher-end line right now.post #26393 of 375376/26/15 at 8:40pmpost #26394 of 375376/26/15 at 8:51pmQuote:Originally Posted by GuP
I just googled and there is a CJ store in NYC, carmina are sold at the Armoury in NY and EG are sold by some place called Leffot.
Some oxfords: http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/shoes.html?limit=all&product_type=1549
GuP, I have a pair of patent leather captoes from C&J for black tie occasions. If you don't like to spend too much, patent leather is cheaper than calf and is traditional. Unfortunately, I can't remember the model name...post #26395 of 375376/26/15 at 10:15pm
I'm a little bit afraid to start caring about shoes (shoes and shirts are joint lowest on my clothing hierarchy). That's actually a little of what's holding me back from buying the Carmina polo suede chukkas I really covet: I'm afraid that once I've got Carmina, my current shoe rotation--which I'm currently pretty happy with--will lose its luster.
Elio, that's an incredible wedding photo and an even more incredible dress. Do you know how they are made (the dresses)? The care and craft that I imagine went into that just floors me.
Not that Caustic needs anyone to speak for him, but I didn't get a judgmental/dismissal vibe so much as a curiosity vibe from his question.post #26396 of 375376/26/15 at 11:16pmQuote:
Thanks, helden! Yeah, it's fascinating stuff, isn't it?Uninteresting stuff about wedding gowns (Click to show)
The dress is a modern interpretation of a kebaya, the traditional Indonesian wedding gown. My wife (a fashion designer herself) worked together with one of the country's famous kebaya designers for this one. It took almost 3 months to make. The amount of work that went into it is incredible. E.g., it features thousands of beads, all individually selected and sewn on by hand. That alone must have cost dozens of hours. The batik designs on the fabric are all specially made for this dress and applied by hand.post #26397 of 375376/27/15 at 12:11amQuote:Originally Posted by EliodA
Thanks, helden! Yeah, it's fascinating stuff, isn't it?
Uninteresting stuff about wedding gowns (Click to show)The dress is a modern interpretation of a kebaya, the traditional Indonesian wedding gown. My wife (a fashion designer herself) worked together with one of the country's famous kebaya designers for this one. It took almost 3 months to make. The amount of work that went into it is incredible. E.g., it features thousands of beads, all individually selected and sewn on by hand. That alone must have cost dozens of hours. The batik designs on the fabric are all specially made for this dress and applied by hand.
That dress is gorgeous. Your wife reminds me of Olla Ramlan (my wife's cousin).post #26398 of 375376/27/15 at 12:29ampost #26399 of 375376/27/15 at 4:37ampost #26400 of 375376/27/15 at 5:39amQuote:
it's 8.5% plus a processing fee fedex/carrier will hit you with. it applies below $200 as I recently paid on a $175 loafer from meermin. if you get carmina to ship via postal service you'll likely avoid the tax. in the last month I bought a loden suede loafer from meermin for 175+shipping+duties. meermin has fixed prices in usd for u.s. customers as
shoes are partially made in China and then finished in spain, I believe. this creates some FX issues for them. I also bought some Carmina oxfords for about 350 all in. far superior in make and comfort. meermin loafers are unreal stiff and tore feet up first few wearings. I have some Carmina loafers en route and will be able to compare directly to meermin soon.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 3 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 8 minutes ago
- › ***The Official Rick Owens Thread*** 13 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 14 minutes ago
- › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II 16 minutes ago
- › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know 19 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 21 minutes ago
- › Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll... 28 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 33 minutes ago
- › SPIER & MACKAY - Official Affiliate Thread 34 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › How to Buy a Women Dress Online That Puts on...
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway