or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1759

post #26371 of 37396

Am I the only one who married a woman who didn't want to be the center of attention? She looked amazing of course, but isn't one of those tiaras and ponies types. All she was concerned with was how everyone else was doing.

post #26372 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post

It's your wedding. I'd spend more for something a little nicer than Carmina. EG at $900 or so seems more appropriate.

joe I would but I feel like it would almost be a waste of money as I would get minimal wear out of these. I have worn by AE Park Aves maybe 5 times or so and had them 5+ years.
post #26373 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post


If he likes shoes, and he intended to wear them regularly, then by all means he should use the wedding as an excuse for something like EG/JL etc. But the wedding should only be an excuse to splurge. I don't think a wedding justifies spending that much money for something to be used for just that occasion. A very, very small part of that. The 5-600 dollar difference could go towards something else which would have a far more significant effect on the magic of that evening. Like hiring @Cleav
to freestyle.

Cleav freestyles?!

Perhaps we can barter a deal
post #26374 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post


If he likes shoes, and he intended to wear them regularly, then by all means he should use the wedding as an excuse for something like EG/JL etc. But the wedding should only be an excuse to splurge. I don't think a wedding justifies spending that much money for something to be used for just that occasion. A very, very small part of that. The 5-600 dollar difference could go towards something else which would have a far more significant effect on the magic of that evening. Like hiring @Cleav
to freestyle.

That's an interesting perspective that's somewhat orthogonal to how I do it. If there's something I like and use a lot, like shoes or briefcases, I'll spend up to get quality. If there's something I like but don't use much, like a bicycle, I'll spend for quality because I want my little free time to be as enjoyable as possible. It's only for things I'm totally indifferent to, like computers or cell phones, that I accept mediocre products. Is anyone on SF totally indifferent towards shoes?
post #26375 of 37396
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

Am I the only one who married a woman who didn't want to be the center of attention? She looked amazing of course, but isn't one of those tiaras and ponies types. All she was concerned with was how everyone else was doing.


Mrs. Claghorn didn't even want to be there.

 

In Seoul, we just went to a courthouse with my parents. Then we ate at the best pizza place (fancy, but still delicious) in Seoul. In the US, her family flew over here and a bunch of mine came to San Antonio for a celebratory lunch. We rented out a Mexican restaurant and everyone gorged themselves. Mrs. Claghorn found the whole ordeal to be stressful and exhausting.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post


 Is anyone on SF totally indifferent towards shoes?


Hi. Have we met?

 

But I agree with what you're saying for the most part. Though I think indifference exists on a spectrum. So being totally indifferent isn't requisite for not being overly concerned about something that won't get much use.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuP View Post


Cleav freestyles?!

Perhaps we can barter a deal


He was the "C" in Run DMC. That other guy was just a front because the record label didn't think a mixed race rap group would sell. Dude was lip syncing Cleav's flow.

post #26376 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
 


Mrs. Claghorn didn't even want to be there.

 

In Seoul, we just went to a courthouse with my parents. Then we ate at the best pizza place (fancy, but still delicious) in Seoul. In the US, her family flew over here and a bunch of mine came to San Antonio for a celebratory lunch. We rented out a Mexican restaurant and everyone gorged themselves. Mrs. Claghorn found the whole ordeal to be stressful and exhausting.

 


Idiosynracies: Hi. Have we met?

 

Yes, I can understand the stress. I will say this, however, I'm glad I married a woman who doesn't have to be the center of attention all the time (not saying anyone else's wife/fiancé is). Truth be told we are very quiet, boring people. 

post #26377 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuP View Post

joe I would but I feel like it would almost be a waste of money as I would get minimal wear out of these. I have worn by AE Park Aves maybe 5 times or so and had them 5+ years.
I bought a pair of AEs once, at Costco of all places, and I've probably worn them less than once a year as well! I'm a sentimental guy, and the idea of having a very special everything for my wedding really appealed to me.

If you don't get fat those EGs would last you your entire life, and every time you wore them they would be awesome (because they are) and would be a great reminder of your wedding. I guess I'm a buy for life guy.
post #26378 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

GuP. Congrats. Cummerbund with shawl, waistcoat with peak. No wing collar. I prefer plain toe oxfords with black tie.

Thanks archi.

Reading the black tie guide site - it notes waistcoat is more formal and it should ideally be 3 button, backless, two single welt pockets "tall enough to peek out beyond the lapels of the closed dinner jacket."
post #26379 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post

I bought a pair of AEs once, at Costco of all places, and I've probably worn them less than once a year as well! I'm a sentimental guy, and the idea of having a very special everything for my wedding really appealed to me.

If you don't get fat those EGs would last you your entire life, and every time you wore them they would be awesome (because they are) and would be a great reminder of your wedding. I guess I'm a buy for life guy.

hmmm you bring up a very good point...very tempting.

any particular EG or CJ in mind btw?
post #26380 of 37396
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

 

Yes, I can understand the stress. I will say this, however, I'm glad I married a woman who doesn't have to be the center of attention all the time (not saying anyone else's wife/fiancé is). Truth be told we are very quiet, boring people. 


Alright. How is not caring very much (by SF standards. By any other standards, I care about them a crazy amount. Reading about them, researching before making purchases, keeping them in shoe trees, owning 8-9 different types of shoe polishes/creams, etc etc etc) about shoes an idiosyncracy? It's not like I'm walking around in Aldo's. :) 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuP View Post


hmmm you bring up a very good point...very tempting.

any particular EG or CJ in mind btw?


I have these (Belgrave) in brown and I'm pretty happy with them. Only hurt one of my feet slightly.

 

Belgrave main image 

 

I've also heard very good things about Kent Wang's shoes:

 

Benchgrade captoe balmoral

 

Benchgrade plaintoe balmoral

post #26381 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
 


Alright. How is not caring very much (by SF standards. By any other standards, I care about them a crazy amount. Reading about them, researching before making purchases, keeping them in shoe trees, owning 8-9 different types of shoe polishes/creams, etc etc etc) about shoes an idiosyncracy? It's not like I'm walking around in Aldo's. :)


Well here we go again lol. He did say "totally" indifferent you know.

post #26382 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuP View Post

hmmm you bring up a very good point...very tempting.

any particular EG or CJ in mind btw?

These but black:
http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/products/edward-green-berkeley-dark-oak

The 202 last is a "looks good forever" design. The Vass OE would be a good, cheaper, option.
post #26383 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

Am I the only one who married a woman who didn't want to be the center of attention? She looked amazing of course, but isn't one of those tiaras and ponies types. All she was concerned with was how everyone else was doing.


Mine is the same way.

post #26384 of 37396
Man all of those brands are 3x more than AE/Carmina. Would have to try shoes on in person before splurging that much.
post #26385 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Am I the only one who married a woman who didn't want to be the center of attention? She looked amazing of course, but isn't one of those tiaras and ponies types. All she was concerned with was how everyone else was doing.

You make a lot of rather careless assumptions in one post.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)