Point taken. And thanks for the link, I'll chexk the shop out. But the ET house label stuff is a good price, plus free shipping. Any thoughts on the purple gren?
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 11:54 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1705post #25561 of 373966/12/15 at 5:56pmpost #25562 of 373966/12/15 at 5:57pmQuote:Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
to answer your question though, you have a bunch of patterns. I would honestly just say to get four plain white shirts and four plain light blue shirts before you do anything else. This is pretty basic advice that you'll find all over the internet but I can also say that I personally disregarded it when I first started dressing for business and I wish I hadn't.
that's a 0.1
And you don't even need 4 white ones if you aren't dressing business conservative a lot.
There's a great thread on here about how people think a white dress shirt is basically a blank canvas and a lot easier to worth with than it actually is.post #25563 of 373966/12/15 at 6:14pmpost #25564 of 373966/12/15 at 6:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by jcmeyer
But I use them for shirts and slacks to what I consider good results, especially for the price. So hopefully a little extra guidance will make it all work out well! He just did a medium grey worsted.
And I started the engine on my pair of oatmeal flannels!
Nothing against Spoon. It seems like many have gotten good results from them. Is that the oatmeal flannel from NMWA? That's nice stuff. I had Panta make it up for me.
I'd say that the ET deal is pretty good for those of us who don't have pay VAT and when you consider the free shipping. Also, ET is one of the few vendors who carries Drake's ties in 9 cm widths. I grabbed a few things.post #25565 of 373966/12/15 at 7:01pmpost #25566 of 373966/12/15 at 7:08pmQuote:Originally Posted by JezeC
Looking for a pair of business casual cotton pants:a rotation of two or so pairs. Cuff or no Cuff?
Is this a good start?
Big no on that fabric. Look for a stone, olive, chocolate, or khaki color. Everyone will have a different option on cuffs...go with what you think you'll like.post #25567 of 373966/12/15 at 7:50pmQuote:
pretty close to chocolate
Metalpost #25568 of 373966/12/15 at 8:00pmQuote:Originally Posted by JezeC
pretty close to chocolate
I like the first one, but would prefer a lighter shade on the grey.post #25569 of 373966/12/15 at 9:23pmpost #25570 of 373966/12/15 at 9:30pmQuote:
My latest Luxire shirt. Fits okay and will make the following changes.
Changes after d/w luxire will be :
1. decrease shoulder slope by 0.25"
2. adjust for forward shoulders by 0.25"
3. decrease the waist at the back by 1.0"
4. reduce the yoke by 0.25"
Will also adjust length
But good point - I will go with one for now and see how it fits with the above tweaks for now.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #25571 of 373966/12/15 at 9:32pmQuote:
I will stick with one or two white shirts for nowpost #25572 of 373966/12/15 at 9:33pmQuote:
Nah, I meant I started the Oatmeal with Spoon. Or really they may just be light brown.
I have a light/medium grey from them that worked out pretty well, especially now that I've had them let out slightly
New pair will go through a couple fittings again though since I'm taking the rise up. So It'll be 6-8 weeks till they're ready no doubt. Also got side tabs instead of loops, won't taper them quite as severely, and will increase the cuffs from 1.5" to 1.75" to see if that works out.post #25573 of 373966/12/15 at 9:36pmRe: proper cloth vs Luxire
I have tried PC in the past - even gone to their BM location to get fitted. Did two shirts with two fittings and they came out so so. I liked PC because they were super fast. I took one PC shirt, wore it, asked for advice on here and from Luxire - the result from luxire was a much better fit.post #25574 of 373966/12/15 at 10:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by NickInTO
ET is having a great sale, and I've wanted a purple tie for a while. Is this purple grenadine TOO purple? Recommendations on how to pair?
Tie is fine. Not the most versatile thing in the world, but absolutely fine to wear. For best results, either a very light lilac shirt or a light blue shirt (includes light blue and white stripes and similar things). It won't be a staple, but it will make the occasional appearance.post #25575 of 373966/12/15 at 10:16pm
This brings up a potentially interesting consideration. I probably wear a plain white shirt on average twice a month, but sometimes I find myself in a "when it rains it pours" situation, where I need to dress conservatively for several days in a short period of time. If you almost never need to wear a white shirt, please feel free to ignore my comment, but if you wear them infrequently but sometimes encounter situations where they're really the best choice, it can be good to have at least 3 in the rotation. Most of the time you just take the one you wore to get laundered with your other shirts, but every so often you're glad to have a small reserve of white shirts. Just my two cents.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › RARE: Staple Rubinacci Grey Suit EU52/50 1 minute ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 16 minutes ago
- › A Fine Pair Of Shoes: Official Affiliate thread 22 minutes ago
- › RM Williams Boots - Everything You Wanted to Know 26 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 29 minutes ago
- › Is this polo hat real or fake? 44 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 53 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 58 minutes ago
- › WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style 58 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway