Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:36 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 168post #2507 of 374052/13/14 at 4:08pmpost #2508 of 374052/13/14 at 4:27pm
Haha. Well then you'd be me. I personally like a pattern or something less boring. But if I was gonna own one I'd have a linen for spring/summer and something else for other seasons - hopsack for F/W or flannel for a cold winter I guess.post #2509 of 374052/13/14 at 4:40pmpost #2510 of 374052/13/14 at 4:54pmQuote:
I used to think a blazer was boring, until I realized how often I keep reaching for my navy blazer when I: (i) want to go a little more crazy with pattern or color in my shirt/tie combo and slacks and need a solid blazer to bring it all together; (ii) dress up a shirt and v-neck sweater; or (iii) in the Summer, throw the blazer over a more patterned/colorful shirt that I would not pair with a patterned jacket.post #2511 of 374052/13/14 at 4:55pmpost #2512 of 374052/13/14 at 4:56pmpost #2513 of 374052/13/14 at 5:13pmpost #2514 of 374052/13/14 at 5:22pmThread Starterpost #2515 of 374052/13/14 at 6:59pmGreat thread. I hope this is not out of place to post here, but wjll be starting a new job soon (hopefully). Business casual, tropical climate, though i will be in aircon the vast majority of the day.
I have odd jackets in navy, a light tan and mid-blue, cotton/hemp blend and a wool/silk/cashmere blend. All are unlined, unstructured and very light wearing.
I have the standard navy and mid-grey trouser. My main question is what ties i should purchase.
I am thinking a selection of solid coloured silk knots/grenadines plus one rep. I am on a tight budget.
Colours wise i was.thinking navy, brown, forest green. What am I missing?
As for shoes, I have mid-brown derbies, black derbies, horsebit mid-brown loafers and dark brown suede tassel loafers. Not ideal obviously. What should I go for next? I hate the derbies....
Shirts im happy with- basic white bkue etc. Button downs. Should i add another type.of collar?post #2516 of 374052/13/14 at 7:05pmThread Starterpost #2517 of 374052/13/14 at 7:08pmpost #2518 of 374052/13/14 at 7:10pmpost #2519 of 374052/13/14 at 7:13pmThread Starter
If you don't mind wrinkles, linen is the way to go. And you shouldn't mind wrinkles, because everyone else will be wearing linen as well. It's good that your jackets are unstructured and are hopefully loose fitting. Anything tight is not your friend. A few more gray trousers would probably be called for.
As far as ties:
Silk knits and linen would be the way I'd go. That way you remain congruent with the light clothing you'll be wearing.
If you are moving to a place where you need to take off your shoes a lot, I recommend chelseas (easy to take off, dressier than loafers). On the other hand, it may be pretty humid, and chelseas don't exactly breath, so....
Ah, been to the Philippines a few times. More thoughts coming soon.
Shoes: Given the conditions of the street and how much it rains, you'll want rubber soles. I'd look at monkstraps (maybe from Meermin) if you're on a budget. Very versatile and easy to take off. Something like this:
Pebble grain is a bit easier to care for and won't be too bothered by the rain.
I would jump on Henry Carter's sale ASAP. Several of his knits are half off. The chocolate and the green are definite winners.
Another summery tie on sale:post #2520 of 374052/13/14 at 7:22pmI was.thinking of a few pairs of linen trousers and shirts actually. Perhaps through kamakura and luxire. Many thanks clags.
Oh i didnt realisr those ties were still around! Have bought h.c in the past and loved it.
Edit: as for the shoes, I do love them, but feel like it would quickly become obvious i have a limited shoe collection as monks seem very memorable. Thoughts?
Thanks so much for the advice though!
Edited by lukejackson - 2/13/14 at 7:35pm
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Red Wing Iron Ranger Boots - what's the dilly yo? 8 minutes ago
- › Equus Leather - Bridle Leather Belts - Official Affiliate Thread 13 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 26 minutes ago
- › "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions 31 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 44 minutes ago
- › The Look goes on... 47 minutes ago
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 52 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 52 minutes ago
- › Watches for suits vs. Watches for casual 57 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 57 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...