Well not first....I have other ties but I haven't bought a tie in like 5 years. Just gifts and what not.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 11:48 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1657post #24842 of 374825/31/15 at 8:46pmQuote:
stubby refers to...umm the stubbiness? not sure really - just going by how clags referred to the stubby tiepost #24843 of 374825/31/15 at 8:48pmpost #24844 of 374825/31/15 at 8:51pmThread Starterslubby (with an ell) refers to the texture.
I'd advice against getting that for two reasons, one general, one specific.
Specific: that's from their first batch of jackets when they were still working out some cut kinks.
General: don't buy two items from the same brand until you confirm the fit. Saves the hassle.post #24845 of 374825/31/15 at 8:58pmpost #24846 of 374825/31/15 at 9:01pmpost #24847 of 374825/31/15 at 9:07pmThread Starterpost #24848 of 374825/31/15 at 9:17pmnavy i suppose would be ideal to start with?
there is a suit supply nearby and i will be try to go in person within a week or so to try something on. i see suit supply has the "navy plain wool", while SM has the navy hopsack.
any comparison between SM vs suit supply?post #24849 of 374825/31/15 at 9:18pmpost #24850 of 374825/31/15 at 9:25pmQuote:Originally Posted by GuP
also found this: http://www.styleforum.net/t/490160/isaia-navy-blazer-jacket-40r-excellent-condition/0_100
not a huge fan of navy either. go slightly lighter than navy with some texture (no worsteds); hopsack, serge, wool/linen/silk, etc.post #24851 of 374825/31/15 at 9:27pmThread Starter
The Isaia looks like it's an orphaned suit jacket. Doesn't really bear any of the hallmarks of being a blazer or odd jacket. So definite pass.
As far as SuSu vs Spier and McKay: I don't really have any experience with SM's jackets and I do with SuSu's. Both, I suspect, provide a pretty decent bang for your buck. But given that you can actually try on SuSu jackets and that they are generally held to be a pretty solid purchase, that's probably your best bet. Though @spiermackay recently chimed in in a discussion about SuSu vs SM in their thread, and that's probably worth checking out.post #24852 of 374825/31/15 at 9:31pm
@GuP Here are my my comments on the Spier and Mackay Navy Hopsack jacket: They're spoilered below but you can click the link to follow the full discussion. http://www.styleforum.net/t/383376/spier-mackay-official-affiliate-thread/1485#post_7907411Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Wore my navy hopsack today for the first time (got it yesterday). Material was a little disappointing out of the box as I was hoping for more physical texture to the hopsack (see the hopsack BB I have listed for sale) and the material is rather flat physically but visually textured. It is maybe a half inch shorter than I prefer but the length of my 40R is identical to the SuitSupply Havana 40R so it's in-line with contemporary styling. Looked kind of off on me yesterday but I broke it in at home and then wore it to work today and really liked how it settled in as the wrinkles from shipping fell out and the half canvas started to break in. The buttons are nice and the color is year-round friendly without being deep navy. Overall I can see this working out to be my staple, main navy blazer as it's very professional, obviating the need for something like the worsted navy model 2 blazer also available for purchase. The best part, for me, have to be the sleeves and back. I believe Spier & Mackay adjusted the way the sleeves are set for the Model 2 and even with my forward sloping shoulders the sleeve/sleevehead looks totally normal and doesn't look like it's getting pulled. Similarly for an OTR purchase the back is surprisingly clean. I don't have photos to show right now but I'll try to take some when I wear it next week. One minor minor issue which probably won't be much of a concern for anybody else is that I wish there were less lining (or more linen - but this would probably keep it from being a work staple), so there are always tradeoffs! Walking around on a sunny low-80s morning today I felt pretty warm to be honest. But I also run a bit warm and there was no wind/it's Texas so it's always pretty hot.
Edit: The fabric has grown on me - I don't hate it, I just realize I was probably expecting a $500-600 fabric at a $280USD price. Honestly for the price this is a wonderful jacket. Highly recommend people buy before it sells out.
Go try on the Suit Supply offerings. Find your size in the Havana. That'll be your size in Spier & Mackay for future reference. I think the SS looks better and it has less lining which I prefer. For me, I wouldn't necessarily be willing to pay $100 more just for that, which is what the price difference amounts to. Also if you're a 38R I've got a Brooks Brothers 1818 Fitzgerald fit hopsack jacket for sale in the Marketplace at around the same price as the Spier & Mackay but with materials and finishing like the Suit Supply, it retails for around $600 I think.
Edit: Also I now have 3 brown and 3 green (2 olive, 1 is a true green) sportcoats but only 1 navy (the Spier & Mackay) because I've had to size up across the board and sell my other 3 navy jackets. This is my latest addition: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polo-Ralph-Lauren-Corneliani-Olive-Flax-Hopsack-Sport-Coat-40R-3-2-Roll-Italy-/151692479036?nma=true&si=7bYZWVufnG0TXo5jrwNoKf4BtMI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
I wear my Epaulet olive plaid wool jacket the same way I'd wear browns, same approach to this one I imagine? It's fully lined which is the only drawback. Has anybody ever had a tailor who did a truly bad job removing the lining (back panel only) from a jacket or will it be a fairly safe ask from my trusted tailor?post #24853 of 374825/31/15 at 9:35pmpost #24854 of 374825/31/15 at 10:03pmQuote:
If you narrow the forearms on the front seam, the pitch sleeve is slightly reduced. My diagram shows the effect somewhat exaggerated, but I guess you can see what happens.
It may or may not cause a problem, depending on the amount you want to slim and the original sleeve pitch. I had one jacket altered and then found this out the hard waypost #24855 of 374825/31/15 at 10:07pm
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Official Sales Alert thread 1 minute ago
- › Junkard Boots 2 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 3 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 3 minutes ago
- › Things you just don't get 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 4 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 5 minutes ago
- › Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread 6 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds x Massdrop Unlined Chukka Boot Review/Info 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...