or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1642

post #24616 of 37396

So, some good conversation, as hoped.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by heldentenor View Post
 

That's a really useful compilation, Mr. Six, since the light to mid-toned jacket is something lots of us are drawn to but challenged to pair.  Mid-grey and dove grey look good, as I had thought they would, but the greyish green is the surprise winner for me--I think it's a really subtle, pleasing combination.  

 

I'm glad it was useful. I thought that the Air Force blue/grey, brown, and green trousers were the best. The navy is better in person; the photo looks too stark to me. The greys were a little too low contrast even though ...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post
 

Sorry, I didn't have time to continue Round Whatever of the Charcoal Trouser Debate. I had to watch LeBron do LeBron things. But I do have this for you ...

 

Quote:

It would be great, if Mr. Six is up for it, to have a few shots of that beautiful Formosa with different trouser combinations, for all our edification.

 

I hate to excuse crap photos, so I'll just say that these are crap photos that I took quickly for myself, but I agree that it might result in some interesting conversation.
 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Greyish brown

 

Mid-grey

 

Sort of Air Force grey/blue

 

Greyish green

 

Cream

 

Grey flannel

 

Lighter mid-grey

 

Dove grey

 

Navy

 


This is a lesson for those that claim that grey jackets aren't versatile. Buy a textured and heavily patterned grey jacket and in theory it is even more versatile than navy since you can wear it with like colors. I have never seen someone wear a navy jacket on blue pants that looked good. Grey on the other hand

One more grey on grey example Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
IMG_5303mod.jpg

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

@kulata, Mr. Six's jacket does not grey to me, so unless it's coming in all wrong on my monitor, I think he's not proving that about grey jackets.

Also, I don't think Pliny's last two points have been debunked / are incorrect unless you assume that the word "always" is in there. While some outfits can look good when jacket is lighter than trouser, in a large majority of successful odd jacket fits, the jacket is darker. Contrast helps in most cases too.

 

... the jacket is actually light brown in person. Obviously the overall effect is grey-ish because of the pattern, though. (Plus, crap photos.) I think that grey sport coats are fine but difficult to do well. I have one that's easier because it's solid grey but textured. This one might be beyond my skills. Or just not totally to my taste. Or just not knocking me out with the trousers that I have available. But I'm going to think about it a bit longer because I want to figure this out for myself.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Mr. Six's trouser variety show convinced me that his jacket would look great with...

dark gray pants. smile.gif Any disputing this is just religious fervor.

Caustic Man, I can't believe you're letting Noodles' opinion about SuSu sway you at all. No Noodles hate, just suggesting that his aesthetic judgments are hardly the rock of Gibraltar.

 

As I mentioned above, the navy are better in person because the blue comes through more. You don't think that the photo of navy suggests that charcoal would be too stark?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

I just want to say that that photo essay by Mr. Six was one of the best things to ever happen to the GNAT.

 

Thanks, man! I'm curious, which combo(s) did you think worked best?

post #24617 of 37396
@Mr. Six thanks for taking the trouble to post those pics. Interesting indeed.
My personal favorites: the greyish blue, brown and.... navy!
post #24618 of 37396
Grey herringbone tweed is one of the best looking (and possibly the only good looking) grey odd jackets. Here's Vox wearing one:



Edited by Monkeyface - 5/28/15 at 12:52am
post #24619 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post

Grey herringbone tweed is one of the best looking grey odd jackets:

114146509508

 

Agreed! :) Your pic is missing?

 


Edited by EliodA - 5/28/15 at 1:43am
post #24620 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

Agreed! smile.gif Your pic is missing?

Fixed!
post #24621 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny View Post


Grey jackets aren't versatile because-

1. grey trews are  the most versatile trews
2. trews should contrast with the SC and
3  trews should be lighter than the SC.


So it's difficult to find a pair of trews that is both sufficiently contrasting and  lighter  to go with a grey SC.

I agree with Manton that  grey/grey combo that works  is a light grey plaid SC with dark grey trews.

I disagree with the statements in bold. If you have a heavily patterned grey jacket and a textured but plain grey pants, then you have the required visual break between jacket and pants that is within reason and you will never confuse the combo for a suit fit. This only seems to work for grey though, I can't think of any other color where this works (Tan? Nah!).
Mr. Six's gives examples where grey jackets works with a variety of colored pants; tan, green, blue, brown etc. So why are we having an argument on it's versatility? biggrin.gif

I can understand if you simply don't like grey jackets but let's not extend it beyond personal preference. The issue with grey jackets in IMO is picking the right type of jacket.

Point 3 has been debunked time and time again so I'll file that under personal preference

Grey jacket with brown example Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
IMG_2233%20-%20Copy.JPG

 

 

I'm not a fan of Northern lites, and I'm hardly  a maverick as far as that goes:  not many are because it's just not part of the MC canon.. 

I invariably like your fits tho, largely because you do follow the conventions, and you do it well.   That one above is not one I like, sorry.  The jacket is smashing, and the tie combo too.

post #24622 of 37396
Quick question to all Noodlers.

I recently ordered a navy SC, since I really liked the finish and model (3r2, 2 patch pockets, washed mohair/wool mix + all the usual stuff). It's from LBM 1911, who's jackets I know fit me well.

What I hadn't noticed before ordering though, was that it had elbow patches. Now, I kinda like elbow patches on tweeds, but never on navy SC's, and certainly not in summer weight SC's.

The problem is that if I remove them, there will most likely be darker rings where they used to sit, due to the washed finish of the jacket. What do you think I should do (I've already had it altered and removed the tags, so no returns), remove them or keep them on?

post #24623 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFV View Post

Quick question to all Noodlers.

I recently ordered a navy SC, since I really liked the finish and model (3r2, 2 patch pockets, washed mohair/wool mix + all the usual stuff). It's from LBM 1911, who's jackets I know fit me well.

What I hadn't noticed before ordering though, was that it had elbow patches. Now, I kinda like elbow patches on tweeds, but never on navy SC's, and certainly not in summer weight SC's.

The problem is that if I remove them, there will most likely be darker rings where they used to sit, due to the washed finish of the jacket. What do you think I should do (I've already had it altered and removed the tags, so no returns), remove them or keep them on?


If you can, remove a couple of stitches, and look underneath for any colour difference. If there is, stitch it back up, otherwise remove it. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if you have to keep them.

Depending on the fabric you might still see the holes, but probably not.
post #24624 of 37396
If it's garment-dyed, there pretty much zero chance that you won't see a difference in the shade of blue underneath.
post #24625 of 37396
Questions:
1. I will be wearing a suit while playing a guitar every week. This means a guitar strap will come over my right shoulder and supress that part. Will this do some damage?
2. If I purchase a chestnut and polish the shoes, can't I not turn it into a dark brown?
post #24626 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Questions:
1. I will be wearing a suit while playing a guitar every week. This means a guitar strap will come over my right shoulder and supress that part. Will this do some damage?
2. If I purchase a chestnut and polish the shoes, can't I not turn it into a dark brown?

1. I'd take the jacket off while playing the guitar. Unneccessary fraying and damage to potential pick stitching. Same logic goes for seatbelts. If I expect to be driving for more than, say 15 min I usually take off my jacket.

2. Probably not by using polish alone. Still considering Westbournes, I suspect?

post #24627 of 37396
I always take my jacket off while playing. If you want to recolour a pair of shoes, it's better to do it with Saphir's leather dye.
post #24628 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

If it's garment-dyed, there pretty much zero chance that you won't see a difference in the shade of blue underneath.

Yup. I was just wondering what's worse (in a general SF consensus kind of way), darker elbows or patches?

I think that by just writing this out, I've come to the conclusion that keeping the patches is the lesser evil.
post #24629 of 37396
I'm with you

Another solution is to replace the patches with somr other fabric (or suede) that will make you happier than the tone on tone. A mid grey marled fabric could look good. A brown suede maybe?
post #24630 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRaphael View Post

1. I'd take the jacket off while playing the guitar. Unneccessary fraying and damage to potential pick stitching. Same logic goes for seatbelts. If I expect to be driving for more than, say 15 min I usually take off my jacket.
2. Probably not by using polish alone. Still considering Westbournes, I suspect?
Yes, westbourne, I likes. Chestbourne only, they have.

Ugh...everyone (singers) Keep their jackets on when praising the LORD.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)