or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1639

post #24571 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post


On the one hand I agree with you. However, the combination of "take a picture and we will tell you what to change" plus "if our suggestions produce a bad result you can't return it" puts a lot of the risk onto the consumer. That's fine if the buyer knows what he's doing (or pays a good tailor to comment on fit), but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself. I'd feel more comfortable with this value proposition where the risk shared via a modest tailoring credit. Formosa is $1,900 (after SF discount) and comes with a $140 credit. The KW stuff is about half that price in good fabrics, so a $70 credit doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

 

This isn't true at all. You have input on what you want to change also. He gives suggestions, but if you feel other things need to be changed, you can change it as well. Also, $70 on a $700 suit is 10% of their total revenue. You really don't think it isn't a lot.

 

They are plenty of non-MTM suits out there that aren't fully canvassed, MTM, well mad etc, and are 2x the price of Kent Wang.

post #24572 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

I hear you, but KW's stuff is priced to viable at a given price point sans tailoring credit. Seems to me he'd have to raise prices to offer the credit, which, while it might give the optics of risk sharing, defeats the purpose. I think it's up to each person to decide if the risk is worth it at a particular price point.

I agree totally. I think the KW suits are aimed squarely at the educated consumer who knows what he likes and how to achieve it... So not me, unfortunately. For that segment, it seems like a nice setup.

Does anyone know if KW offers a variety of styles as a baseline? It seems like not from a casual look through.
post #24573 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post

This isn't true at all. You have input on what you want to change also. He gives suggestions, but if you feel other things need to be changed, you can change it as well. Also, $70 on a $700 suit is 10% of their total revenue. You really don't think it isn't a lot.

They are plenty of non-MTM suits out there that aren't fully canvassed, MTM, well mad etc, and are 2x the price of Kent Wang.

I did not say you get zero input, only that they make the suggestions in abscence of your own. Is that incorrect? Also, those suits are nearer to $900 in better fabrics, which I clearly articulated.

On edit, I was less clear on the first point than I intended .
post #24574 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post


I did not say you get zero input, only that they make the suggestions in abscence of your own. Is that incorrect? Also, those suits are nearer to $900 in better fabrics, which I clearly articulated.

Okay... but 70$ on a 900$ suit is still a huge amount. . on a $900 suit it is still a 8% decrease in revenue, straight up. Not sure how you can define "seems reasonable' when you don't know his internal cost structure at all.

 

These suits aren't priced to incorporate a $70 credit. If you want, he could charge $70 more on every suit, and then give a $70 credit if that would make you feel better... its the same effect, you just don't 'see' the decrease.

post #24575 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox View Post
 

SuSu pants are the worst offenders re: sizing/styling. SuSu odd jackets are ok if you can figure out sizing (their lighter, unstructured summer/spring jackets)

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJen View Post
 

I have found their online dimensions to be accurate in the items I have tried. Perhaps Noodles is referring to the changes between a given size from one model to the next, which certainly is variable. The fabric quality is pretty clear, to me, based on the information they openly provide (mill/composition/etc).

Free shipping and free returns, too, if that helps.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox View Post
 

I have noticed a difference in size between two exact SuSu suits of the same cut (almost 1 inch in chest measurement; 1/2 inch shoulders).

 

Avoid their online size recommendation tool like the plague.

 

But with free shipping/pick up and returns, just order a bunch of different sizes and cuts

 

I'm so confused!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Caustic Man, I can't believe you're letting Noodles' opinion about SuSu sway you at all. No Noodles hate, just suggesting that his aesthetic judgments are hardly the rock of Gibraltar.
 
I loled.
post #24576 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post


On the one hand I agree with you. However, the combination of "take a picture and we will tell you what to change" plus "if our suggestions produce a bad result you can't return it" puts a lot of the risk onto the consumer. That's fine if the buyer knows what he's doing (or pays a good tailor to comment on fit), but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself. I'd feel more comfortable with this value proposition where the risk shared via a modest tailoring credit. Formosa is $1,900 (after SF discount) and comes with a $140 credit. The KW stuff is about half that price in good fabrics, so a $70 credit doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

it could be purchased at approximately $1,500ish. and I am not talking 2nd hand. okay, when they have a sale. 

post #24577 of 37497

Are most local tailor's so bad that it's better to order online suits? There's a tailor down the street from me, an older Italian gentleman,  who fixed the shoulder divots in one of my jackets (beyond a basic alteration I think?) and used a few tricks to make a $50 Ebay purchased Samuelsohn SC wearable. The Suits he has in progress in his shop show the full canvassing and the one SC that I've seen of his certainly passed my eye ball test. He has books and describes his fabrics as 'Not as good as Loro Piana but still pretty good." I imagine the fabrics would be be at least on par with KW, SuSu (just a guess, but a a very plausible guess). Probably my biggest hesitation to eventually having a Full Canvas SC made for $750-$800 Canadian is how few members on here seem to get their stuff from local tailors. 

 

 

The SC I mentioned:

 

 

and BTW, I can see that jacket pairing pretty well with some Charcoal pants :happy: 

post #24578 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dlwgosh View Post
 

Probably my biggest hesitation to eventually having a Full Canvas SC made for $750-$800 Canadian is how few members on here seem to get their stuff from local tailors. 

 

From a local tailor. If you have a good working relationship with this guy I wouldn't hesitate.

 

post #24579 of 37497

Are swan-neck captoes a good alternative to regular captoe oxfords for a primary brown shoe? There is a great deal going on these, and I still need to replace my AE Park Aves:

 

post #24580 of 37497

Caustic, does your guy actually sew everything himself or does he have staff? This guy sews everything himself which is part of the attraction. I'm sure I'd end up with a great fit and I trust his construction. I just don't know if he has his own 'go to' cut/style and if that cut would be what I would hope for.

post #24581 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dlwgosh View Post
 

Caustic, does your guy actually sew everything himself or does he have staff? This guy sews everything himself which is part of the attraction. I'm sure I'd end up with a great fit and I trust his construction. I just don't know if he has his own 'go to' cut/style and if that cut would be what I would hope for.


I can't say for sure. He has a very small staff so I imagine he does at least some himself. If your tailor is doing his own work I'd have even less qualms about doing a project with him. Just have a detailed conversation with him about what you want and I'm sure it will go fine. I would suggest jotting down a short note about what you want to discuss.

post #24582 of 37497

^I think I'd basically just walk in wearing my best fitting SC, the one from which he removed the divots, and ask if he can make me another one with that cut in a different fabric. I get the sense that this guy is pretty good and could charge more if he lived in a different market, but then he's the only real tailor I've ever had a conversation with.

post #24583 of 37497

That might be a good idea if you want to copy a jacket. I think if you do that, though, you might miss the best part about custom work, getting something with patterns made specifically for you. Unless you are just bringing it in as a guideline for the kind of fit you like.

post #24584 of 37497
Thread Starter 

Yeah, alright, I'm sold(ish) on the no tailoring credit. Still think it would be a good practice to suggest people also take the trial jacket/suit to a decent alterations tailor for feedback. I suppose this would require you mislead the alterations tailor somewhat though.

 

----

 

@Darkside where are those shoes from?

post #24585 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

it could be purchased at approximately $1,500ish. and I am not talking 2nd hand. okay, when they have a sale. 

For a normal sized staple solid? I'd give that a try!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)