or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1637

post #24541 of 37396

Just go with Kent Wang if you've considered Suit Supply.

Wait a minute...I feel like I am a @Claghorn wannabe. 

I seem to be lead by him in the SF spirit.

He mentions Sam Hober has the best grenade ties, then I find myself buying truck loads of them.

He mentions Kent Wang, then all of sudden I find myself order stuff from KW website.

Doh!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

In that price range, what else would you suggest Noodles and CM?

^KW

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJen View Post
 

I have found their online dimensions to be accurate in the items I have tried. Perhaps Noodles is referring to the changes between a given size from one model to the next, which certainly is variable. The fabric quality is pretty clear, to me, based on the information they openly provide (mill/composition/etc).

Free shipping and free returns, too, if that helps.

I can only speak of my own experience. I was trying out just Lazios and didn't bother with other lines.

post #24542 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

In that price range, what else would you suggest Noodles and CM?

Kent Wang perhaps?
post #24543 of 37396

I have noticed a difference in size between two exact SuSu suits of the same cut (almost 1 inch in chest measurement; 1/2 inch shoulders).

 

Avoid their online size recommendation tool like the plague.

 

But with free shipping/pick up and returns, just order a bunch of different sizes and cuts

post #24544 of 37396
Mr. Six's trouser variety show convinced me that his jacket would look great with...

dark gray pants. smile.gif Any disputing this is just religious fervor.

Caustic Man, I can't believe you're letting Noodles' opinion about SuSu sway you at all. No Noodles hate, just suggesting that his aesthetic judgments are hardly the rock of Gibraltar.
post #24545 of 37396
While I love KW and have ordered from him multiple times in the past, his suits start at about $850-900 while you can get one from SS at around $500.

I'm sure KW's quality is better, but that's not an insignificant price jump,especially if you are on a budget.
post #24546 of 37396
Thread Starter 
Self help self wealth books make me shake my head in shame.

RANT (on an iPhone)

On a related note, I watched a presentation on Richard Kiyosaki by some students. Glorifying this idea that we should strive for wealth with the minimum amount of effort (and of course, part of the sales pitch is framing anyone who wants to work for a living as a chump--the part I felt was really abhorrent).

Growing up the child of two productive workaholics who also managed to be wonderful parents and now wonderful friends, I admittedly glorify hard work. I don't necessarily think it is its own reward, and I don't begrudge anyone the desire to get rich as quickly as possible with as little work as possible (work on average...so starting a business just so at some point you can step back from it, retire early, and enjoy the profits...the ideal I think this Kiyosaki guy advocates), but I do take some umbrage at this motivation being the primary impetus behind an individual's business/financial decisions. I think it speaks poorly of him/her.

But then again, both my parents are super hard workers (solar physicist and AP English teacher) and all four my grandparents worked all their lives (two high school principals, a lawyer and a farmer/businessman, with two being immigrants and one being one of those rags to riches stories you hear about...granted those riches came when she was in her late 50s/early 60's...and they came from property investment rather than hard work...but those investments were made in the hopes of security, not an easy life, and she continued teaching long after they started making returns). So this biases me.

Or maybe I'm just too American. I know we work like fiends over here, often with little to show in terms of added productivity (though we aren't anywhere near as bad as Koreans, though that's an unfair comparison since their organizational culture, specifically the reason for working long hours, is so very different from ours).

End rant.


@TheNoodles

And I hope you don't feel led astray. Those pants are perhaps the best fitting I've seen on you, particularly the thigh area.

But in general, I give very safe, uncontroversial advice.

Also, you still are very Noodles. How many times have I suggested you get a SuSu Lazio, and how many do you own?
post #24547 of 37396

And can someone get this guy off their website?!

He annoys the heck out of me with his goofy poses.

Why didn't they select @Coxsackie instead of this goofball?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Suit_Blue_Plain_Jort_P4010I
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Suit_Blue_Plain_Jort_P4016I
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Suit_Grey_Birds_eye_Jort_P4017I

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Mr. Six's trouser variety show convinced me that his jacket would look great with...

dark gray pants. smile.gif Any disputing this is just religious fervor.

Caustic Man, I can't believe you're letting Noodles' opinion about SuSu sway you at all. No Noodles hate, just suggesting that his aesthetic judgments are hardly the rock of Gibraltar.
giphy.gif

Edited by The Noodles - 5/27/15 at 9:04am
post #24548 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post

While I love KW and have ordered from him multiple times in the past, his suits start at about $850-900 while you can get one from SS at around $500.

I'm sure KW's quality is better, but that's not an insignificant price jump,especially if you are on a budget.

 

 

RTW vs MTM is a big jump also. If you're going for the MTM vs MTM, prices are similar. Also I dont think the cheapest SS are fully canvassed.

post #24549 of 37396

I prefer a model who has fun with his job over the army of depressed-looking robo-mannequins on most sites

 

See this: http://dieworkwear.com/post/118786781862/how-models-should-pose

post #24550 of 37396
Haha ... I've always thought those pictures were really stupid. Good to hear someone else say it.
post #24551 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post

Fix your monitor! smile.gif

Point #2 we have an entire season (summer) and entire regions (tropics) where low contrast pants and jackets are in some cases tradition.
Point #3 is censored.gif ....Do we have to do this again???

I guess that's what I get for looking at photos on my phone. I don't disagree with your comment on point #2; that's why I said contrast is generally useful (it is; the fact that it is not always necessary does not mean that it can't be generally useful). Summer involves wearing lighter colors which narrows the potential range of contrast, meaning low contrast looks are more likely to occur. That just makes sense to me, though sometimes the low contrast looks can be tough to pull off. I really have no interest in re-litigating point 3 any further at this time; I thought my comment on it was pretty nuanced and balanced a generally useful rule with acknowledgement of a reasonable number of exceptions.
post #24552 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post
 

And can someone get this guy off their website?!

He annoys the heck out of me with his goofy poses.

Why didn't they select @Coxsackie instead of this goofball?

 

 

He's somewhat famous in Holland, the country where SuSu comes from.

post #24553 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post
 

 

He's somewhat famous in Holland, the country where SuSu comes from.

Still, he looks dumb. What can I say.

 

v This guy is somewhat famous in Korea, the country where B&T comes from.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
giphy.gif

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
 

@TheNoodles

And I hope you don't feel led astray. Those pants are perhaps the best fitting I've seen on you, particularly the thigh area.

But in general, I give very safe, uncontroversial advice.

Also, you still are very Noodles. How many times have I suggested you get a SuSu Lazio, and how many do you own?
 
The Claghorn Savings Summary:
(Do we really have to do this again?)
* At least a dozen navy ties returned to NM for a full refund ($200 x 12 = $2,400)
* $3,500 Isaia suit returned to NM for a full refund after 6 months (I thank them for that)
 
post #24554 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post
 

Still, he looks dumb. What can I say.

 

v This guy is somewhat famous in Korea, the country where B&T comes from.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
giphy.gif

 

 

LOL. He's the gangnam style guy, isn't he? Hope he won't be modelling for B&T any time soon :D 

post #24555 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox View Post

Avoid their online size recommendation tool like the plague.

I think their sizing algorithm is "figure out the correct size, then suggest 4 inches smaller". Their 'site sized me as a 34 back when I regularly wore 38's without excess fabric. patch[1].gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)