Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:23 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1633post #24481 of 373655/26/15 at 8:21pmpost #24482 of 373655/26/15 at 8:22pmQuote:
When I wonder what to do with charcoal I think of the value scale from my past art classes. Make the charcoal seem lighter by going darker .
Interesting point. And I think that shade of blue for a jacket goes well with charcoal pants.
For me as a short guy, I try to avoid too much contrast between top and bottom half to avoid cutting the silhouette in half. So I tend not to mind darker trousers in general.post #24483 of 373655/26/15 at 8:29pmpost #24484 of 373655/26/15 at 8:31pmpost #24485 of 373655/26/15 at 8:32pmpost #24486 of 373655/26/15 at 8:33pmpost #24487 of 373655/26/15 at 8:38pmpost #24488 of 373655/26/15 at 8:53pmThere are no shortage of examples of charcoal trousers being paired well with a jacket and tie, and like most "rules" here, saying that is a 100% all the time no go, is foolish. That said, I personally do not enjoy wearing charcoal trousers with a jacket and tie. The most usual reason is that I generally find I have a better alternative, but I am not a believer that just because there is a better option does that mean that a fine option should be shelved if a person feels like choosing that. I think I just dont personally enjoy that particular pairing.
I wear them almost exclusively in the fall and winter with a sweater. But thats just me.post #24489 of 373655/26/15 at 8:58pmBack from the dead-
I think stitches has a good point. Yes you can possibly pair navy and charcoal worsted with an odd blazer or whatever, but if you're trying to optimize an outfit, there are (most of the time) better options. Could the charcoal match? Yes. Might it look a little off? Yes. But ultimately, you won't be featured on fashion police on E TV.
If you want to optimize the outfit though... That is where the fun (and most of SF) begins.post #24490 of 373655/26/15 at 9:01pmpost #24491 of 373655/26/15 at 9:10pmI guess so. The question is how much value is in the opportunity cost? I think for people it varies. I know this has been talked about, and what it boils down to is how important is it to you that every time you get dressed you are making the most optimal choices possible.
For some that is a must. For others there are times where they decide there is something they like and really want to wear, and the fact that there may be a more optimal option is not a deterrent if the pairing they chose is acceptable, or even quite good, and it allows them to wear something that for one reason or another really appeals to them. For the first group they would likely just end up limiting the use of that particular item, because even if they love it, it will irk them if its not optimally used.
I dont think there is a right or wrong there personally.post #24492 of 373655/26/15 at 9:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by in stitches
There are no shortage of examples of charcoal trousers being paired well with a jacket and tie, and like most "rules" here, saying that is a 100% all the time no go, is foolish. That said, I personally do not enjoy wearing charcoal trousers with a jacket and tie. The most usual reason is that I generally find I have a better alternative, but I am not a believer that just because there is a better option does that mean that a fine option should be shelved if a person feels like choosing that. I think I just dont personally enjoy that particular pairing.
I wear them almost exclusively in the fall and winter with a sweater. But thats just me.
I think it comes down to optimization as Veni says above (i.e. something else would just look better) in most cases.
When it comes to discussing rules and how to follow them, I think it matters how advanced the person we're talking about is. Certain rules can be broken with great success, though one would probably still look pretty darn good following them. I would say that if you gave a newbie 25 of SF's dearest "rules" (real ones plus a few that are pure groupthink), he would look much better slavishly following them than he would if he was not aware of them at all. Someone who is already familiar with the rules and who is trying to branch out and define their own sense of style, however, is going to be interested in the exceptions and what rules to push the envelope of / ignore at times.
I'm not saying that we should all slavishly follow or regurgitate rules here. I don't believe that. That said, the fact that there are exceptions and that many rules are not valid in 100% of cases from an aesthetic standpoint (I ignore social norms here) doesn't mean that they aren't very useful pieces of information or that most dressers are probably better off following them than ignoring them.post #24493 of 373655/26/15 at 9:16pmAlso, re Stitch's comment that was posted while I wrote the above, I agree with the spirit of it. I'd also add that closet size matters (rarely used or non-optimal items that can be fun to use from time to time are a lot easier to justify as one's wardrobe grows in size). I don't know if anyone on here is a pure optimizer (must always have the most perfect combination); if they were, they'd probably just wear the same thing everyday. That said, I can see how perhaps something small like a tie or square might vary in how optimal it is based on moods while I'm not sure the same is true for trousers (I've had days where I really wanted to wear a particular tie; never really felt like wearing charcoal pants).post #24494 of 373655/26/15 at 9:19pmpost #24495 of 373655/26/15 at 9:21pm
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 19 seconds ago
- › Maison Martin Margiela MMM Blacked Out Calf Leather 5-zip 19 seconds ago
- › Random health and exercise thoughts 21 seconds ago
- › Leather Jackets: Post Pictures of the Best You've Seen/Owned? 2 minutes ago
- › Camel hair or cashmere? 4 minutes ago
- › The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread 4 minutes ago
- › The Official RRL Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 7 minutes ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 7 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 8 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...