or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1624

post #24346 of 37482

Didn't fool anyone! Oh, snap!

Paranoid_1.gif.gif 

post #24347 of 37482
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

@cakv, pockets on both are fine.

Okay, thanks. Cause honestly, it seems more protective/beneficial for the wearer to have flaps in the event of amateur pick pocketing. It seems silly to outright say no to flaps on patch pockets. I'd find a picture of an SC without gold buttons but I can't.

 

220227-MM9995.jpg 

post #24348 of 37482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

People worrying about mid to light gray trousers being orphaned trousers are crazy. Unless that shit has mohair or is charcoal, it isn't really an issue in my opinion. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Anyway, close up of the fabric

While we're talking about odd/potentially orphaned trousers, why does mohair in the mix make them much more likely to be orphans? Is mohair (well, mohair/wool mixes) inherently only a fabric for suits?

post #24349 of 37482
Also, Noodles, if you want a navy blazer, get a navy blazer. Only you can decide how to prioritize this versus the suits you so desperately need more of, but you should generally assume that your suit jackets will not make good sport coats. Exceptions can be discussed later, but I do not think any of your current suit jackets would look good odd.
post #24350 of 37482

It's alright Noodles.  I broke the rules pretty hard as well on Friday with a similar OJT combo.  Orphaned jacket? Check.  White shirt? Check.  Black shoes? Oh yes.

 

However, I was aware of all of these rules, I was simply constrained by what was in my suitcase at the time.

 

post #24351 of 37482
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereNext View Post
 

While we're talking about odd/potentially orphaned trousers, why does mohair in the mix make them much more likely to be orphans? Is mohair (well, mohair/wool mixes) inherently only a fabric for suits?

 

Mohair is typically a little shiny, more slick, usually used in suits/evening wear.

post #24352 of 37482
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

Also, Noodles, if you want a navy blazer, get a navy blazer. Only you can decide how to prioritize this versus the suits you so desperately need more of, but you should generally assume that your suit jackets will not make good sport coats. Exceptions can be discussed later, but I do not think any of your current suit jackets would look good odd.

Oh, I got the trousers (in pic) because my suit trousers got a beating and got a hole by the zip fly. 

I am definitely focused on building up my suit collection and probably will not invest on a SC. Although, I do have a HUGO BOSS SC at home. 

 

I guess that jacket cannot be converted to a SC?

post #24353 of 37482
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post
 

Oh, I got the trousers (in pic) because my suit trousers got a beating and got a hole by the zip fly. 

I am definitely focused on building up my suit collection and probably will not invest on a SC. Although, I do have a HUGO BOSS SC at home. 

 

I guess that jacket cannot be converted to a SC?

 

TBH, put the flaps in the pockets, and get a tailor to put different buttons on it, it will be serviceable. (assuming this is a navy jacket)

post #24354 of 37482
No Noodles, plus investing more in your beaters is throwing good money after bad.
post #24355 of 37482
The suit jacket grey pants combo is okay in my books. Wear without care
post #24356 of 37482
Quote:
Originally Posted by venividivicibj View Post
 

 

Mohair is typically a little shiny, more slick, usually used in suits/evening wear.


Yep, but that's what I'm wondering: do those characteristics say "suit" much more strongly? I'm an interested observer: I have two pairs of wool/mohair trousers for summer wear. One pair is very light grey and the other quite a bright blue; they would make for very bold suits in those colors, but I'm now wondering if wandering SFers will look askance at me next time they're in South Africa.....

post #24357 of 37482
I don't really see the issue with odd trousers that have a bit if mohair. Unless they're navy or dark grey, I'd happily wear them.
post #24358 of 37482
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereNext View Post
 


Yep, but that's what I'm wondering: do those characteristics say "suit" much more strongly? I'm an interested observer: I have two pairs of wool/mohair trousers for summer wear. One pair is very light grey and the other quite a bright blue; they would make for very bold suits in those colors, but I'm now wondering if wandering SFers will look askance at me next time they're in South Africa.....

 

(I wasn't the one who said no mohair). But as long as it isn't in a  typical suit color it should be fine (light light grey and a vibrant blue are good)

post #24359 of 37482

Here's a SC that I found in my office. This would do well with navy trousers?

post #24360 of 37482
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post
 

I guess that jacket cannot be converted to a SC?

Noodles, it looks fine, indeed good.  

 

Please note the difference between advice and norms. If you wear loafers and no socks to a funeral, you've arguably broken a norm (and deserve to be given additional grief over it). 

 

If you wear what you're wearing in the last combo, you've paired a navy suit jacket with what someone might think as the bottoms of a worsted grey suit. The horror: orphan upon orphan.

 

But who cares outside of this thread which is focused on more acute pronouncements? 

 

The advice is that when building one's wardrobe, it is preferable or advised to go with elements that clearly separate odd pieces from suits. If you want, change the buttons on that navy jacket, but honestly not worth the time. As I said earlier, I have a navy orphan that I use. It has dark buttons and flapped pockets. I wouldn't post it in WAYWRN, but I wear it often, and with smooth worsted mid grey trousers at that. I would prefer now to have elements that are more clearly not suiting fabric, but whatever. You make the best of your situation. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)