or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 157

post #2341 of 37427

CSB:  Picking up the RL Suit Thurs night/Friday morning for a fancy Valentines day dinner with the Wifey.  I'll probably be paying more attention to the suit than her but I'll try no to.  :lol:  God that thing feels amazing.  That is probably one of the nicest things I own.  Close second is that Coat JRD.  I'm hoping that will work out.  I ended up needing the sleeves lengthened and with the buttons already there, we're trying to work some magic but it looks like there is fabric there so thats good.  Fingers crossed because that's an amazing Jacket.  I'll know next Weds. on that one.  

post #2342 of 37427
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Quote:
why would you want to waste time and money on things that are sub-optimal?
smile.gif
Quote:
Please. A sleek example is perfectly fine with a suit. This is America, dammit.

This is Styleforum, dammit.  Why would we suggest he buy anything that's "perfectly fine"?  "This is America" (or insert country of choice) is an invitation to the average.  No, sir, Noodles must be elevated beyond.


"This is America" indicates that our standards for what is acceptable dress (as in proper) differ from yours. I know that himself doesn't care for derbies with suits, but they are perfectly acceptable. Which is not synonymous with average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2breformed View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

Queestion.

For CBD, navy suits are my staple.

Do I get a black pair of oxfords or a dark brown oxford? Which wud be more versatile?

I think that Milton(?) Thread starts off with FOR CBD BLACK IS MORE FORMAL.

Black oxfords first. I think this is especially true for how CBD you are. It's Manton not Milton lol. You could stand to go to his profile BTW and just read through nearly every thread he's every started. He is very CBD and knowledgeable.


Noodles, you like brown. Get brown.
post #2343 of 37427
^ The issue with the whole derbys vs. oxford debate IMO is that we shouldn't be using "good enough" as a criteria for expensive goods we are buying. It's one thing to tell someone who owns a bunch of derbys that they are good enough and work with suits and he need not go out on a panicked shopping spree, but when we're talking about new shoe acquisitions, this approach does not seem to work as well since there's no reason to not just buy what is more correct.
post #2344 of 37427
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

^ The issue with the whole derbys vs. oxford debate IMO is that we shouldn't be using "good enough" as a criteria for expensive goods we are buying. It's one thing to tell someone who owns a bunch of derbys that they are good enough and work with suits and he need not go out on a panicked shopping spree, but when we're talking about new shoe acquisitions, this approach does not seem to work as well since there's no reason to not just buy what is more correct.

 

 

I understand and appreciate your point, but SB's whole argument is that derbies are not simply "good enough" but rather an equally viable alternative option.

post #2345 of 37427
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2breformed View Post


I understand and appreciate your point, but SB's whole argument is that derbies are not simply "good enough" but rather an equally viable alternative option.

I read his post as saying they are acceptable, which would not be the same as an equally viable alternative option. I'd disagree with the notion that they are truly an equally viable option.

Most of the best dressed people I've met in various major US cities wear oxfords with their suits. My personal experience; feel free to take it or leave it.
post #2346 of 37427
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post


"This is America" indicates that our standards for what is acceptable dress (as in proper) differ from yours. I know that himself doesn't care for derbies with suits, but they are perfectly acceptable. Which is not synonymous with average.
Noodles, you like brown. Get brown.

 

The bolded is what made me think otherwise, but I can see how the term acceptable would make you feel the way you do. I suppose I'll let the man explain himself.

 

FWIW I prefer bals w/ suits. So much so in fact that I struggle with the value of a suede bal (as evidenced earlier in this thread) even though I think they look awesome.

post #2347 of 37427
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post
 

Also, are you on team round toe or team square/chisel toe?

 

 

 

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 100

 

 

 

 

I must say that I really like these two tips.

post #2348 of 37427
Shoe circles are so 2013.

ba9a4ura.jpg
post #2349 of 37427
^ icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gificon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #2350 of 37427
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

I will be meeting Mr. Noodles later today. That is all.

FIELD TRIP!!!



Also, a Mr. Fields trip?
post #2351 of 37427
Nice meeting you Stitchie.
Let's try to do lunch next time and lets keep in touch.
post #2352 of 37427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

Nice meeting you Stitchie.
Let's try to do lunch next time and lets keep in touch.

my dood that was awesome.

ill be in touch for sure.
post #2353 of 37427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
 

Glad to hear that we're going here...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
73885999.jpg

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


plain.gif
 

 

No. With the estitchmeister you will end up here:

 

 

 

 

Or here

 

 

Or at least here

 

 

C'mon estitchy, educate Noodles in terms of watches. :D

post #2354 of 37427

Awesome, guys. Any kops for either party? (I know stichy is a little light from his recent suit splurge).

post #2355 of 37427

Betel, 

 

Z.E.N.I.T.H.

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
movadobaby_2269_69815787
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)