or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1553

post #23281 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Noodlers: I am taking my children to Thailand for a holiday this summer - Phuket, lagoons area specifically.  I've never been before.  Inevitably I will investigate having a suit made.  Are there any of these tailors that would be worth my while? 

I don't think there are any good ones in the phuket area. There's one in Bangkok that's used by Western diplomats and the likes that is supposed to be ok, but it's also not as cheap and doesn't work as fast as the more touristy ones (I believe its called narin). Bear in mind that the house style in Thailand is a bit different than we're used to, and most suits will be fused. Narin does full canvas.

If you're willing to take a gamble that could result in an unwearable suit you could give it a try, but I wouldn't do it. Make sure they use British/Italian fabrics, as I've heard a lot of them tend to sell poly blend fabrics as all wool.
post #23282 of 37403

I was wearing bit loafers the first time I met @gdl203   :hide:

post #23283 of 37403
@The Noodles get the brown westfields
post #23284 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

Noodlers: I am taking my children to Thailand for a holiday this summer - Phuket, lagoons area specifically.  I've never been before.  Inevitably I will investigate having a suit made.  Are there any of these tailors that would be worth my while?

I have had a few suits and sport coats made in Thailand when family lived there. I can PM the name of the place I visited. Suits were about $700-800 made with VBC fabrics and four fittings. Half canvassed. They were fine and held up fairly well, but honestly I would save yourself the time and hassle and get something made in the US for a little more.

post #23285 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

@gdl203 or @unbelragazzo
Where do I go for group buying for Formosa suits. I am guessing you are not restocking on your website until the fall, right?

If you want a suit that's on the site just not in your size, either 1) it's seasonal and probably not getting restocked or group-bought, at least until next year 2) it's permanent collection and therefore getting together a group buy would be kind of pointless, especially since it might be restocked in your size before a group buy would be delivered anyway.

If you're thinking of trying to do a GMTO for a suit that's not on the site, you could post in either the No Man thread or either of the Formosa GMTO threads (fall spring) - they both have some swatch pictures, but mostly for SCs and some fabrics may not be available anymore. Probably about time to do another round of swatch suggestions.
post #23286 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post


If you want a suit that's on the site just not in your size, either 1) it's seasonal and probably not getting restocked or group-bought, at least until next year 2) it's permanent collection and therefore getting together a group buy would be kind of pointless, especially since it might be restocked in your size before a group buy would be delivered anyway.

If you're thinking of trying to do a GMTO for a suit that's not on the site, you could post in either the No Man thread or either of the Formosa GMTO threads (fall spring) - they both have some swatch pictures, but mostly for SCs and some fabrics may not be available anymore. Probably about time to do another round of swatch suggestions.

:slayer:

Thanks. I'll check out the site. 

I think I have gotten all I want from the permanent collection. 

post #23287 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by europrep View Post
 

I was wearing bit loafers the first time I met @gdl203   :hide:

 

Hopefully, I wasn't too rude with you ;)

post #23288 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox View Post
 

I have had a few suits and sport coats made in Thailand when family lived there. I can PM the name of the place I visited. Suits were about $700-800 made with VBC fabrics and four fittings. Half canvassed. They were fine and held up fairly well, but honestly I would save yourself the time and hassle and get something made in the US for a little more.

 

:puzzled:   Four fittings?

post #23289 of 37403

@Murlsquirl

I hate you...:violin: 

post #23290 of 37403
?Por que me odias?
post #23291 of 37403

@gdl203

 

I should have said four appointments (three fittings) - 1) measurements, select cloth and styling; 2) first fitting on skeleton baste; 3) second fitting with most major construction completed; 4) final fitting with buttonholes etc completed and collection.

 

I was conveying to @mimo that he would need to invest a bit of time wherever he goes. Most Thai tailors, especially those operating in tourist heavy spots like Phuket, will do it in just two sessions 1) fabric selection and meaurements, 2) collection - but I'm yet to see anything decent come out of these operations.

post #23292 of 37403

Gotcha.  That sounds like true, diligent bespoke.  Surprised that they would use half canvassed construction given the process - is that to achieve a lighter wearing garment?

post #23293 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
 

Gotcha.  That sounds like true, diligent bespoke.  Surprised that they would use half canvassed construction given the process - is that to achieve a lighter wearing garment?

I suspect so given the climate. I also insisted on that number of appointments, I'm not sure if it's standard practice for them.

post #23294 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
 

Gotcha.  That sounds like true, diligent bespoke.  Surprised that they would use half canvassed construction given the process - is that to achieve a lighter wearing garment?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox View Post
 

I suspect so given the climate. I also insisted on that number of appointments, I'm not sure if it's standard practice for them.

 

Since I live in a climate like Thailand, I'm always on the lookout for lighter wearing garments. So how would half canvassed be lighter wearing than full canvassed? I'd never have thought that. 

post #23295 of 37403
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post



Since I live in a climate like Thailand, I'm always on the lookout for lighter wearing garments. So how would half canvassed be lighter wearing than full canvassed? I'd never have thought that. 

Congrats on your win! If you need help spending your $200, I got your back.

http://www.styleforum.net/a/who-won-styleforums-first-ever-gallery-contest

Tira's custom title should definitely be "Swaggy T".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)