or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1525

post #22861 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post
 

 

I've got some used IKEA furniture to sell you

They break if you try to move them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

 

Welcome to fashion. There are shockingly a few things that hold their value. Things that the market has to create a need for are not included in that.

Not just fashion. Think about cars. The drop in value as soon as you drive off the lot. How much would one be able to recover if the buyer decides to sell it just one week later? probably not 100%. It is the same car with everything functioning the same way before he drove it off the lot. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by europrep View Post
 

 

That is why it is worth spending time on B&S.  You will surely have some hits and misses, but the really good hits make up for it.  Knowing your measurements is very important for successful shopping.  That and don't be a d*ck and throw out low ball offers when you know you are getting good value (not saying you personally, just making a general comment).  

Ugh....don't get me started on low bawlers on B&S.

post #22862 of 37428
Any Carminas to be listed @europrep? smile.gif
post #22863 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post
 

How much would one be able to recover if the buyer decides to sell it just one week later? probably not 100%. It is the same car with everything functioning the same way before he drove it off the lot. 

 

Again, the difference is the incentive. What is the incentive for me to buy a brand new car for its full value from you rather than from a dealer? Anyone who can pay full price for that car can also go into a dealer and buy it.

post #22864 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren View Post
 

 

I've got some used IKEA furniture to sell you

They break if you try to move them!

 

post #22865 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

 

Again, the difference is the incentive. What is the incentive for me to buy a brand new car for its full value from you rather than from a dealer? Anyone who can pay full price for that car can also go into a dealer and buy it.


Exactly.  Consumer markets aren't driven by the intrinsic value of things, but by the perception of value by consumers.  How much of a discount do I need before I'm willing to take an after-market purchase rather than a retail price? 

 

I'm transitioning (thanks, Bruce Jenner!) from the philosophy of under-funded novices to menswear ("I'll buy it used 'cuz it's good, I don't have it yet, and that's a good price") to a much more picky consumer now that my wardrobe has grown ("I want/need this specific thing, and I'll pay a premium for the ability to get exactly that or return it if it isn't perfect").  B&S is still useful, though, if you have a clear understanding of what you want. 

post #22866 of 37428

I'm mostly at that point too. I need to feel comfortable in taking the risk of buying something used and only a good discount will do that. 

post #22867 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Not just fashion. Think about cars. The drop in value as soon as you drive off the lot. How much would one be able to recover if the buyer decides to sell it just one week later? probably not 100%. It is the same car with everything functioning the same way before he drove it off the lot. 

https://www.iei.liu.se/nek/730g83/artiklar/1.328833/AkerlofMarketforLemons.pdf
post #22868 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

I'd keep them both because reselling shoes is a losing proposition.

I do not believe in this. If something is not getting used, I sell it, loss or not. Because if Im not using it, its essentially an even greater loss than whatever money it could put in my pocket, regardless of what I paid for it. View it as a rental.
post #22869 of 37428

With clothes it also has to do with the retail price frequently not being the actual transaction price. Who would pay 50% off for a used Brooks Brothers suit when there's a thread on this forum dedicated to giving a heads-up next time you can get a new one from BB for 50% off?

 

With shoes it's because a fair proportion of the marketplace finds wearing another person's shoes to be off-putting.  

post #22870 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


I do not believe in this. If something is not getting used, I sell it, loss or not. Because if Im not using it, its essentially an even greater loss than whatever money it could put in my pocket, regardless of what I paid for it. View it as a rental.


I like this both for the reasons stated and for karmic reasons.  Clothing (especially clothing made with skill and craft) deserves to be worn and enjoyed. 

post #22871 of 37428

Also, I have spent more money on clothing this week than at any point in my life.  Yet I regret the two purchases I've made less than anything else I've purchased.  Took me a long time to accept that more money paid for exactly what I want will cause less regret/remorse than a marginal "bargain." 

 

Edit: @Claghorn, it's all been navy, too.  Hope you get an awesome green SC soon so that I don't feel too much like a sellout. 


Edited by heldentenor - 4/28/15 at 2:52pm
post #22872 of 37428
Glad I don't buy much of brand name stuff. That is where there is too much ballooning of prices simply based on the reputation. I really have to question if the massly produced name brand stuff are even close to the true value. It is pretty obvious the companys' are best interested in its investors, and not its consumers. I just blabbering on.
post #22873 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

I do not believe in this. If something is not getting used, I sell it, loss or not. Because if Im not using it, its essentially an even greater loss than whatever money it could put in my pocket, regardless of what I paid for it. View it as a rental.

Not me. It is far more valuable to have variety that to get some small pittance for my used stuff.
post #22874 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Glad I don't buy much of brand name stuff. That is where there is too much ballooning of prices simply based on the reputation. I really have to question if the massly produced name brand stuff are even close to the true value. It is pretty obvious the companys' are best interested in its investors, and not its consumers. I just blabbering on.

Dude. Everything you buy is brand name.

Formosa and Drakes are just as much brand names as Gucci and Prada. They just appeal to different types of people with different value sets.

This is not a dig, its just a fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

Not me. It is far more valuable to have variety that to get some small pittance for my used stuff.

Its too bad for you that you are wrong.
post #22875 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post


Not me. It is far more valuable to have variety that to get some small pittance for my used stuff.

 

That makes no sense if that variety is of no use to you...

Sunk. Cost. Fallacy.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


Dude. Everything you buy is brand name.

Formosa and Drakes are just as much brand names as Gucci and Prada. They just appeal to different types of people with different value sets.

This is not a dig, its just a fact.
 
 
Also, if you can claim value, I'm sure there's more of it from Formosa and drakes than from Prada and Hermes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)