or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1520

post #22786 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post

Local = fine
Shitty hack = not fine (no matter where they are)

A good independent would be almost always preferable to the production line treatment of most mid-level and below (think Rolex and Omega and below) manufacturer service centers. cheers.gif

Thanks! :slayer:

post #22787 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Good advice. We're planning on that as well. Clearwater beach is the destination for now. Unless you guys have better beaches.

I'd suggest going 20-30 mins south of Clearwater and go to Siesta Key.
post #22788 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Thanks! icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

I'm happy to share. I've loved watches forever and been seriously into collecting for over a decade (damn I'm getting old...).
post #22789 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post


I'm happy to share. I've loved watches forever and been seriously into collecting for over a decade (damn I'm getting old...).

I am guessing pictures of your collection are in your album?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms340 View Post


I'd suggest going 20-30 mins south of Clearwater and go to Siesta Key.

Oh, looking good. Is it more remote?

post #22790 of 37395
I'm pretty sure I've never given any clock related tips, I'm a total analphabet when it comes to watches. I only own 3 watches, and only really wear one of them regularly, it's a pretty basic old Omega (vintage from the 40s). I do however have some real watch geek friends who I turn to whenever I need to get a watch serviced.

I'm considering getting a new watch next year. Most likely an Omega Speedmaster, for no other reason than liking the design.
post #22791 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

I am guessing pictures of your collection are in your album?
Nope. Posting picture of expensive shit on an open forum is a good way to get a home invasion.
post #22792 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joenobody0 View Post


Nope. Posting picture of expensive shit on an open forum is a good way to get a home invasion.

Fudge...oh wait, I can't nothing expensive in my house. I almost had a picnic attack. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFV View Post

I'm pretty sure I've never given any clock related tips, I'm a total analphabet when it comes to watches. I only own 3 watches, and only really wear one of them regularly, it's a pretty basic old Omega (vintage from the 40s). I do however have some real watch geek friends who I turn to whenever I need to get a watch serviced.

I'm considering getting a new watch next year. Most likely an Omega Speedmaster, for no other reason than liking the design.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Omega is way over priced, but I like their watches. I think Tags look better. 

post #22793 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

I'll go out on a limb and say that Omega is way over priced, but I like their watches. I think Tags look better. 

The classic speedmaster is one of the best deals going, even with the stupid more expensive fancy box. It has all the history of any watch in the world (Daytona, PP Nautilus, APRO, whatever) and it's around $4,500.
post #22794 of 37395

Speaking of watches, I would love me a Vacheron Constantin Patrimony Contemporaine or Traditionnelle :worship:

post #22795 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms340 View Post

I'd suggest going 20-30 mins south of Clearwater and go to Siesta Key.
Oh, looking good. Is it more remote?

I don't know if remote is the correct word, but it has more of a quaint feel than Clearwater. The sand and beaches are superior on Siesta also.
post #22796 of 37395

Thanks man:slayer:

post #22797 of 37395
Stowa really is a pretty watch and a great value. Would theoretically kop.
post #22798 of 37395

I wait up for SF After Dark just to see what Stitch would say.

post #22799 of 37395
mwink[1].gif
post #22800 of 37395

@The Noodles, you can pick up that Portuguese Chrono for $4-5k used.  At which point I think it's way worth it for the history, distinctive design and yes, brand power.  I bet your man Stitchy can hook you right up.

 

Like the Stowa Marine Original above, it's based on 1930s "deck watches".  There are plenty of lookalikes - Hamilton and indeed Tag Heuer both make a watch that looks remarkably like the Portuguese Chrono, and plenty of others make a deck watch of some sort, with a big white dial and Arabic numbers.  But it's the ones that can hark back to a much older original that get my heart, and the IWC Portuguese is one of them.  With a current RRP pushing $10k, it's certainly a lot for a steel watch with movement that isn't especially original, or heavily modified.  But now that the new Portuguese collection is out with newer in house movements, these are getting easier to find under $5k in good order.  And for me, the design is strong and individual enough to justify it.  I'd pick the version you showed, too.

 

If you do want something cheaper (@mdancel ), don't get a quartz or unspecified Chinese something-or-other.  There are plenty of choices out there under $500.  From the Seiko 5 up to Tissot and Hamilton as suggested.  Given the liking for a German/Bauhaus design, I'd suggest looking at the Junghans Max Bill: great value for an automatic or manual wind watch with a strong design history.  For a bit more, I can personally attest to the quality of Stowa.  In between the two, Archimede might be worth a look: some interesting watches from a company that's best known for making high quality cases.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)