Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1515

post #22711 of 37662
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

Sooner or later, Bruce Jenner os going to be mentioned.

Then again, I only found out who he is two days ago.

I had to google him, but wouldn't feel any distress if he failed to make it into this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane View Post

Thanks for letting me know, I'm starting this wardrobe essentially from scratch so sorry for any ignorance on my part.


Wear 3-5 times per week. Working in an IT building. Dress code is casual, co-workers wear from jeans and polo's to chinos and buttons ups/downs (have yet to see anyone in tie or sport coat, but that's probably because it's Florida and 93 degrees out).

No strict budget in mind, just looking for reasonably priced, quality clothing. As with most things, clothing has diminishing returns on cost, so I was hoping to get pointed towards that sweet spot on the curve. If I had to guess, I'd say $50-100per for a few shirts and $50-150per for a few trousers sounds reasonable, but this is what I'm mostly looking for advice on.

I've heard of Brooks Brothers, Land's End, and Charles Tyrwhitt (have a few of their dress shirts for use with my suit, but they seem a bit too formal for pairing with chinos) as places to watch for deals (looks like Land's End is doing a 25% promo currently). Also, was considering trying either itailor.com, mytailor.com, or moderntailor.com if you guys would recommend any of those.

I did just order some Allen Edmonds shoes/belts in merlot and tan if that helps at all.


Thank you for taking the time to help. inlove.gif  

How many season are there where you live?
post #22712 of 37662
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssdc View Post


I had to google him her, but wouldn't feel any distress if he failed to make it into this discussion.
 

 

FTFY

post #22713 of 37662
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssdc View Post

How many season are there where you live?

 

2: Warm and hot, lol. :rolleyes:

It's bright and sunny year round, winters dip into the mid-high 60's on their worst days of the year (which you can count on one hand). Most of the year is mid 80's to mid 90's. However, I've lived here long enough that I can (and often do) wear long pants and long-sleeve shirts even in 90's. The heat doesn't bother me and I've never much been a fan of short pants or t-shirts outside of extremely casual environments.

post #22714 of 37662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post

FTFY

So I won't claim to be more up to date than Wikipedia, but the entry I read specified that he would continue to use male gender pronouns until some time in the future.
post #22715 of 37662
Sane, with your target prices, it shouldn't be difficult to find a wide variety of items to meet your needs. J Crew, Gap, Banana Republic, Lands End, Brooks, etc. will all have decent chinos and business casual shirts. Focus on fit. Stay away from excessively baggy or tight items.

You might actually want to ask this same question over in Streetwear & Denim for less mainstream suggestions which would be professional but offer a bit more character.
post #22716 of 37662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sane View Post
 

 

2: Warm and hot, lol. :rolleyes:

It's bright and sunny year round, winters dip into the mid-high 60's on their worst days of the year (which you can count on one hand). Most of the year is mid 80's to mid 90's. However, I've lived here long enough that I can (and often do) wear long pants and long-sleeve shirts even in 90's. The heat doesn't bother me and I've never much been a fan of short pants or t-shirts outside of extremely casual environments.

jcrew, uniqlo and brooks brothers are really good options when you catch them on sale. 

 

if you want higher quality, there are many SF affiliates that offer great products at a reasonable price.

 

for shoes, AE is a great choice, especially in the US since you can try a variety of sizes and last shapes in-store.  

post #22717 of 37662
I almost $hit my pants today. Went shopping and was supposed to go to just Zara but someone decided to take a detour to LV. The bag that this someone wanted was $4,400. This wud have been a 2nd bag from LV from that price range. Thank goodness I was able to yank her outta that store. But with that someone's bday looming next week, I might be doomed already.
post #22718 of 37662
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

I almost $hit my pants today. Went shopping and was supposed to go to just Zara but someone decided to take a detour to LV. The bag that this someone wanted was $4,400. This wud have been a 2nd bag from LV from that price range. Thank goodness I was able to yank her outta that store. But with that someone's bday looming next week, I might be doomed already.

You have fun with that. My wife flipped when I bought her a $300 purse....she said that was a crazy amount for a purse and returned it. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #22719 of 37662
My wife and I are both bargain hunters. We buy last season's stuff at highly reduced prices. That way we have enough money left that I can occasionally get her something like a diamond bracelet on a whim. She occasionally gets me guns. :slayer:
post #22720 of 37662

Geez, didn't even know LV can go that high. I thought 2k was as high as it goes for a typical bag. Most of their signature totes or whatever it's called is about one grand...

 

4 grand is pretty much chanel status....

post #22721 of 37662
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFV View Post

You forgot plumbing.

Forgot who posted that episode but the sight of those burst pipes cannot be unseen. Scarred for life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post

You have fun with that. My wife flipped when I bought her a $300 purse....she said that was a crazy amount for a purse and returned it. icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

She is a treasure. smile.gif
(She knows about Formosa, Ring and such? And is fine with it?)
post #22722 of 37662
We both hate Chanel. There are just way too many fakes out there. Now, she said that four grand on a LV is way too much and decided to pass on it. I think I will be okay with just a $1,500 Burberry for her bday. She usually shops are Zara and JCrew but sometimes she goes off a tangent and goes LV, Tory Burch, etc. Bday is coming and I am scurrrrrred
post #22723 of 37662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

She occasionally gets me guns.

This belongs in the 'Creepy Sartorial Images Thread', just without the images.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezeC View Post

Geez, didn't even know LV can go that high. I thought 2k was as high as it goes for a typical bag. Most of their signature totes or whatever it's called is about one grand...

4 grand is pretty much chanel status....

You know your stuff...
post #22724 of 37662
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSense View Post


This belongs in the 'Creepy Sartorial Images Thread', just without the images.
 

 

You're a dummy.

post #22725 of 37662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post

You're a dummy.

Lol. That's her (aka SWMBO) prerogative. wink.gif

PS: Have a look at post #4451 in that thread.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)