or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1507

post #22591 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post

This. You silly academic types overthink everything

Yeah but this is nothing compared to the conversation Crusty was having in waywrn. They were all like "askance you, I'm a British saint, MF'er!" and I was like:
post #22592 of 37396
I've noticed on a number of more recently purchased SC's and outerwear items, the armholes are cut rather high and tight. This becomes quite evident when driving, for example, where movement feels a little restricted and slightly uncomfortable under the arms. Is it possible that over time the fabric and stitching around the arms will soften up or give a little, or am I relegated to being obsessively aware of this when wearing these items and/or leaving them in the closet more often than not? (none of the items in question has been worn more than a few times thus far).
post #22593 of 37396
I have found the same, more so in sportcoats and suit jackets than outerwear, and it is quite uncomfortable for me. It is one of the reasons that I prefer to stay away from ready-to-wear when possible for those things.
post #22594 of 37396

A lot of people have commented upon (and in some cases bemoaned) the narrowing of trouser legs over the last couple of decades.  Though less remarked-upon, I think there’s also been to some extent a narrowing of jacket sleeves and armholes (and of course a shortening of the jacket itself) in a lot of ready-to-wear brands which are trying to appear more ‘fashion forward’.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #22595 of 37396

This discussion is somewhat related to something I was thinking about. I paid a visit to my favorite vintage store today (and came away with a nice 1960s madras jacket, btw) and I noticed how well almost everything from the 1950s-1970s fit me. These were from various brands, all ready to wear, and in a myriad of styles. As I started to get into 80s and 90s stuff the fit just went to hell. I'm not trying to say there is any magic in these older garments but something sure seemed to have changed. As for modern stuff, well, as mentioned there is quite a lot of high armhole, wonky shoulder, tight fit stuff going on. 

post #22596 of 37396
All these slimming down of clothes are causing restriction of blood flow.
post #22597 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL View Post

I've noticed on a number of more recently purchased SC's and outerwear items, the armholes are cut rather high and tight. This becomes quite evident when driving, for example, where movement feels a little restricted and slightly uncomfortable under the arms. Is it possible that over time the fabric and stitching around the arms will soften up or give a little, or am I relegated to being obsessively aware of this when wearing these items and/or leaving them in the closet more often than not? (none of the items in question has been worn more than a few times thus far).

 

Interesting because I find the higher arms holes help with my movement.  You have more you need to sell :smarmy:

post #22598 of 37396
Tighter trouser thighs ftl. frown.gif
post #22599 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Man View Post
 

[...] I paid a visit to my favorite vintage store today (and came away with a nice 1960s madras jacket, btw) and I noticed how well almost everything from the 1950s-1970s fit me. These were from various brands, all ready to wear, and in a myriad of styles. As I started to get into 80s and 90s stuff the fit just went to hell.  [...]

 

Believe it or not I still have some shirts from when I was in high school.  My measurements haven't changed all that much in the intervening decades (my collar size has gone from 14.5 to 15, and I’ve put on and inch-and-a-half in my waist, but that’s about it), so I can confirm from the empirical evidence of what’s in my closet at this very moment that off-the-rack men’s shirts, for example, in the US have greatly increased in girth over that time period.  This is not surprising, since the average American male has also greatly increased in girth over the same period. 

 

Any American who goes shopping in Europe, Ireland, or the UK these days will usually find that the size inflation on that side of the pond hasn’t been as extreme (though I’m sure it exists).

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #22600 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Define "casual", heldentenor.

 

With blue or light brown jacket and fresco wool/linen trousers.  For suits, lighter-than-navy with snuff suede loafers.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post


This. You silly academic types overthink everything

 

We do.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Not only do I think that is a very nice tie, I think that it will work for both of your intended purposes, helden.

 

Thanks.  I hope so!

post #22601 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

"Sigh."
No, my dream has been to become a teacher at an elementary school at a rural part of Korea where they are in dire need of English teachers. But I am currently a slave to money.

To chime in; I know a few people who have dropped everything and taught english in China or Korea and haven't regretted a moment of it. Mind you, they did this straight out of school with no partners, children, or mortgages so it was much easier. I took a different route and fought hard for a teaching job closer to home and am just now getting to a place where I can say I'm enjoying myself. Teaching, if you truly want to do it well, is an incredibly demanding career that gets little thanks in return, much less a liveable paycheque. All of that said, I sleep pretty well at night... or I did before the baby was born. Money isn't everything and you really do learn to live without a lot of it. If both partners work, a couple our age (29) could easily make $100k together, which isn't the absurd money you get working finance, but is well above the average income.

Just means you wear AE and Suit Supply instead of Saint Crispin and Formosa. Shrug.
post #22602 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown85 View Post

Just means you wear AE and Suit Supply instead of Saint Crispin and Formosa. Shrug.

 

While I don't own the latter, I enjoy AE and SS odd jackets very much!

post #22603 of 37396
heldentenor, I think the tie would work for that purpose. (It's a nice tie, too.)
post #22604 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBrown85 View Post


To chime in; I know a few people who have dropped everything and taught english in China or Korea and haven't regretted a moment of it. Mind you, they did this straight out of school with no partners, children, or mortgages so it was much easier. I took a different route and fought hard for a teaching job closer to home and am just now getting to a place where I can say I'm enjoying myself. Teaching, if you truly want to do it well, is an incredibly demanding career that gets little thanks in return, much less a liveable paycheque. All of that said, I sleep pretty well at night... or I did before the baby was born. Money isn't everything and you really do learn to live without a lot of it. If both partners work, a couple our age (29) could easily make $100k together, which isn't the absurd money you get working finance, but is well above the average income.

Just means you wear AE and Suit Supply instead of Saint Crispin and Formosa. Shrug.

There are a few reasons why my dream is what it is.

1. I love kids and their energy. I like interacting with them and I like seeing them put into practice what I've taught them. I've never been a teacher but I've tutored throughout college. Because I am more open to kids, they tend to flock to me...well, at least kids from church and my nephews. 

2. I want to contribute to my homeland. I am not Harvard (insert any Ivy League school) educated but I think I can say (for now) that I've had a successful career (besides bombing the recent performance review).

3. I thought money would give me happiness but I've realized that helping others and doing what you enjoy gives me happiness, among other things.

This dream is something I am considering seriously. I guess I will have little use for suits then.  

post #22605 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

There are a few reasons why my dream is what it is.
1. I love kids and their energy. I like interacting with them and I like seeing them put into practice what I've taught them. I've never been a teacher but I've tutored throughout college. Because I am more open to kids, they tend to flock to me...well, at least kids from church and my nephews. 
2. I want to contribute to my homeland. I am not Harvard (insert any Ivy League school) educated but I think I can say (for now) that I've had a successful career (besides bombing the recent performance review).
3. I thought money would give me happiness but I've realized that helping others and doing what you enjoy gives me happiness, among other things.
This dream is something I am considering seriously. I guess I will have little use for suits then.  

I started teaching for the money and the power but stayed for the short commute.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)