or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1453

post #21781 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

Navy suit. White shirt. Silver/grey grenadine.

This does sound classic. 

 

OT but found this pic and I've seen this knot in tons of fits, what type of knot is this?

 

post #21782 of 37396
Thread Starter 
Hey, that's me!

Four-in-hand.

Early Claghorn days; unmarried, living in an apartment above a bar in Seoul in one of the college areas, taking pictures in the bathroom. Apartment was a piece of shit. But the area had amazing nightlife.
post #21783 of 37396

That's a four-in-hand knot with a nice dimple.  Easiest knot in the world to learn, but takes some practice to perfect.  It's the right knot for 98% of occasions.  

post #21784 of 37396

Real nice. I like it a lot actually, I think that's what I'm going to go for.

 

As far as the shade of grey, should it be a silver or more of a charcoal grey? 

 

I'm having a hard time finding grenadine ties here in the USA. Chipp is all out of stock. And Sam Hober is out of my budget....being in high school isn't easy when you're trying to look like a million bucks. 

post #21785 of 37396
Thread Starter 
Grenadines aren't cheap. Finding a decent silver/gray tie shouldn't be a problem though. Might not be grenadine.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/231518708271?nav=SEARCH

http://www.henrycarter.com.au/product/grey-pin-dot-macclesfield-bow-tie/

http://m.ebay.com/itm/331519583517?nav=SEARCH
Edited by Claghorn - 4/2/15 at 10:32pm
post #21786 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms340 View Post

Hey Noodlers -

I'll be attending a wedding next month and was planning on wearing this suit and probably this shirt: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The suit is a linen mix. Is the shirt optimal? If it is, what would be a good tie + PS combo? Thanks!

Edit: Uploaded the wrong picture.

I've got a cream/tan linen suit in the works and the guys here steered me to this one …



http://vandafineclothing.com/store/neckties/667-green-white-striped-grenadine.html

The quality is excellent and the fabric is awesome … it has structure, but light as a feather! They also do custom length/width and fast turnaround. A white chambray or linen shirt is what I plan to wear it with.
post #21787 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjedi View Post


I've got a cream/tan linen suit in the works and the guys here steered me to this one …



http://vandafineclothing.com/store/neckties/667-green-white-striped-grenadine.html

The quality is excellent and the fabric is awesome … it has structure, but light as a feather! They also do custom length/width and fast turnaround. A white chambray or linen shirt is what I plan to wear it with.


I wore this exact tie today, with an ivory linen suit. I second all the above opinions. The tie is light, ties a great knot, and has texture for days. The very subtle green color looks great against the ivory line. I wore it with a white shirt. I have a similar tie in a pale slate blue, also from 

Vanda. Definitely recommended.

post #21788 of 37396
I'm wearing cotton trousers and suede string loafers without socks to a wedding #yolo #whatsSFdogma #heathenstatus #amiostracizedyet #ankles
post #21789 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

Wow, how many pages about that purple puppy tooth shirt already? @bmwahba39
I have a very similar shirt like yours (I'm a sucker for puppy tooth shirts). An impulse buy, because I liked the hand and the slight sheen of the fabric so much. But... I hardly ever wear it because it's so difficult to pair it with a tie. I've found the only thing that works is a black knit (or grenadine, if you wish). Works with a navy suit as well  (though grey would be a bit better probably) and preferably your shoes would be black, not walnut. But don't let those details hold you back, I'm sure you'll be dressed better than most of your peers at the prom. And of course, there's many more ways to 'complement' your lady as well. Go out and have fun!

Try the shirt with grey ties. Dark will pass business scrutiny and light grey for more celebratory fits. Grey and purple is an awesome often under used combo. Green ties also work very well with purple based shirts.
post #21790 of 37396
guys I need your advice. I basically need a pair of shoes that can be worn very casually and with odd jackets. I was thinking about this suede oxford or this loafer.
I like the oxford more, and I understand it is suede so quite casual but I think it might too formal ( being an oxford)to be worn with chinos and a polo.
I'm also considering this loafer ( not in black, in brown or burgundy) which is nice and might be more versatile, just right with chinos and a polo, and ok with odd jackets.
I like the suede oxford more, but I realize the loafer might be more useful. Or maybe the oxford because is suede can be worn with anything ( even shorts and tshirt happy.gif ), I don't know.
loafer: https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=4494
oxford: https://www.meermin.es/articulo.php?idArt=2328#
Thank you in advance.
post #21791 of 37396
I'd consider a sleek Chukka in preference to either a suede oxford (not very casual) or a loafer.
post #21792 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy57 View Post


I wore this exact tie today, with an ivory linen suit. I second all the above opinions. The tie is light, ties a great knot, and has texture for days. The very subtle green color looks great against the ivory line. I wore it with a white shirt. I have a similar tie in a pale slate blue, also from 
Vanda. Definitely recommended.

Post some pictures, Andy! Bummed to see your going to be out of town for he next SF meetup.
post #21793 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms340 View Post

Hey Noodlers -

I'll be attending a wedding next month and was planning on wearing this suit and probably this shirt: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

The suit is a linen mix. Is the shirt optimal? If it is, what would be a good tie + PS combo? Thanks!

Edit: Uploaded the wrong picture.

Here's a few of the images I've been collecting for inspiration. Perhaps they'd be useful to you …

Cheers!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)













post #21794 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerP View Post

I'd consider a sleek Chukka in preference to either a suede oxford (not very casual) or a loafer.
I know chukkas are a popular suggestion, but I don't like them. Not saying they are ugly but not my taste..
post #21795 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slh View Post


I know chukkas are a popular suggestion, but I don't like them. Not saying they are ugly but not my taste..

 

I don't understand...?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)