I am an engineer. Formal methods was my thing for a while. Not sure how to take the surprisingly, though ;)
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 8:50 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1442post #21617 of 375334/1/15 at 11:47amQuote:
Yes, seems like this is common. One professor actually claimed that a class full of students asked him to give them quizzes on the reading periodically because otherwise they wouldn't do it. Those are some moto students, right there.post #21618 of 375334/1/15 at 11:47amQuote:Originally Posted by heldentenor
TweedyProf, that Vanda brown challis is awesome--reminds me of probably the best tie Henry Carter has made to this point.
One way to brighten up winter fits while still staying seasonal is with good ancient madder. I've doubled down on brown wool and cashmere recently, but my next tie for fall/winter is this: http://www.pantaclothing.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=mad14
If you aren't one of those people who hate paisley, this Calabrese from NMWA is a steal:
If my fall/winter wardobe weren't so dominated by green already, it would be mine.
Great collection that you have already!
Madders are nice though for me that green is a bit too bright but it might be the lighting in the photography.
The NMWA is great, I'm just waiting to see Stitches post a fit with it and then all of us will be trying to buy it. The paisley's are small enough that I would consider it though I've yet to see a genuinely (large scale) paisley tie I like (with one exception).post #21619 of 375334/1/15 at 11:48ampost #21620 of 375334/1/15 at 11:50amQuote:
Student to Colleague: Can I postpone my exam? I don't feel like studying.post #21621 of 375334/1/15 at 11:51ampost #21622 of 375334/1/15 at 12:06pmQuote:Originally Posted by SeaJen
Quote:Originally Posted by TM79
There's the tailor's advice thread which I think used to have more posts by Despos and someone else (a Philly based tailor, maybe?), but is still a pretty good source.
Looks like Despos still posts there.
It's a valuable resource, for sure, but I was wondering if the pertinent advice was aggregated more succinctly. A cliffs notes of it, as it were.
To the best of my knowledge there is no tailoring equivalent to the "Coherent Combinations" thread. The tailoring thread is intended not as an introduction to the subject but as a way of getting advice about particular fits, which is quite different.
I think for the most part the information in the Coherent Combinations thread is non-controversial. I wonder if the same degree of unanimity could be achieved in a tailoring thread, given, for example, the tendency toward tighter trousers and shorter jackets in recent decades. I suspect there might be generational differences of opinion regarding what looks good. That’s purely speculative, of course.
Acpost #21623 of 375334/1/15 at 12:06pmpost #21624 of 375334/1/15 at 12:08pmpost #21625 of 375334/1/15 at 1:14pmpost #21626 of 375334/1/15 at 1:15pm
I have that brown Vanda challis and it's pretty great.
Regarding fit, there's the thread on how trousers should fit. There's also this archived article by Manton: https://web.archive.org/web/20090204180928/http://www.ctda.com/newsite/why-2.htm. Unfortunately, it doesn't have photos like the Coherent Combos or trouser fit threads. It does have a useful verbal description of fit, however.post #21627 of 375334/1/15 at 1:18pmQuote:Originally Posted by Mr. Six
I have that brown Vanda challis and it's pretty great.
Regarding fit, there's the thread on how trousers should fit. There's also this archived article by Manton: https://web.archive.org/web/20090204180928/http://www.ctda.com/newsite/why-2.htm. Unfortunately, it doesn't have photos like the Coherent Combos or trouser fit threads. It does have a useful verbal description of fit, however.
Pic please (of the challis).post #21628 of 375334/1/15 at 1:20pmpost #21629 of 375334/1/15 at 2:08pmEchoing Greg's sentiment on Tweedy's winter tie assortment.
A2, agreed. I think there is far more variation when it comes to fit than there is to coherent combinations. Much harder to define. As a quick example, Id say that both O/O's and Nick P's clothes fit just right and yet they are miles apart. And those are just 2 extremes, there is plenty of room in the middle too.
Its just harder to define within specific set guidelines. The best way to learn is to post pics and get feedback on issues. My 2 cents anywayspost #21630 of 375334/1/15 at 4:16pm
As the process of purchasing my suits for my rotation is well underway, I am starting to look at shoes.
Some suggestions have already been made earlier in this thread. It seems calfskin captoe oxfords are the workplace staple. As I effectively have NO FORMAL SHOES at the moment, I will be looking to purchase two pairs of high quality staples. Ideally, one black and one brown.
Loakes has been suggested to me as a starting point.
Can I wear brown suede shoes in the workplace?
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Vanda Fine Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 4 minutes ago
- › Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general 4 minutes ago
- › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Rock Your Socks- show your sock, shoe & pant combos 7 minutes ago
- › Wolf vs Goat Appreciation Thread 7 minutes ago
- › **The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.** 13 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 18 minutes ago
- › Cars We Drive! 20 minutes ago
- › The Ultimate Toronto Thread 25 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › The Current Popular Menswear Pieces
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway