or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1433

post #21481 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien View Post

I'd avoid Brick Lane these days if I were you. Tayyabs is a better option.

 

Oh, why is that? Quality no good? Or too dangerous? (It certainly had a bit of a vibe to it even back then - perhaps Muslim radicalism has made matters worse?) Not that this should really affect RTC, whose ethnicity would give him "cover".

 

Admittedly, although the food always tasted fantastic, I do remember copping a vicious case of food poisoning from one visit there.

post #21482 of 37396
I ate at Lahori kebab house the other night and at a Thai place in an area where everything seemed to be Thai. Thai place and Pakistani place were both in Shoreditch. Crate brewery was probably my favorite stop so far.

Went sightseeing a bit yesterday and picked the most hilarious day for it since it poured on us a few times over and we were totally drenched.
post #21483 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

If i have limited time left in London and want to try on shoes etc, is liberty the best bet?

I can try walking around savile row and the area that monkeyface recommended, but i doubt i can spend much time in any store in that area since we have to be back in Camden by 1pm.

Jermyn street, no contest.

post #21484 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post

Oh, why is that? Quality no good? Or too dangerous? (It certainly had a bit of a vibe to it even back then - perhaps Muslim radicalism has made matters worse?) Not that this should really affect RTC, whose ethnicity would give him "cover".

Admittedly, although the food always tasted fantastic, I do remember copping a vicious case of food poisoning from one visit there.

Brick lane is a fun place, but it's extremely busy during the weekends. It's not really the place for curry anymore, as there's a much wider variety of cuisines there now, and the curry restaurants are a bit touristy. Brick lane mainly caters to the hipster crowd, but there is a very nice food market there on Saturday's and Sunday's.

I usually go when I'm in the mood for some day drinking while sampling lots of different foods. The whole area has been gentrified, for better or worse, but it does mean it's very safe now, so nothing to do with radicalisation. I believe a very small one bed flat around that area goes for around £1700/month, so definitely not cheap.
post #21485 of 37396

Ach, London rents.

 

I'll tell you something you'll find hard to believe. I once owned a two bedroom, double fronted, ground floor apartment on Fernlea Road in Balham. I sold it in 1997 for about £85,000. Imagine what it would be worth now. I'm such an idiot.

post #21486 of 37396

I had a two bedroom flat in Fulham I sold in the early naughties, I was going to rent it out but couldn’t be bothered with the hassle.

 

My Grandparents owned a town house on Upper Brook Street (Mayfair just opposite the US embassy) I hate to think how much that would be worth now!!

 

Back when I was a youngster and living in London mid 90’s the east end was a horrible place where you wouldn’t be seen dead. In fact I don’t think I ever went east of the city, and only east of Piccadilly if I was going to my mother office in the city for some reason.

 

Brick lane curries are just a tourist trap now.

post #21487 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post

Ach, London rents.

I'll tell you something you'll find hard to believe. I once owned a two bedroom, double fronted, ground floor apartment on Fernlea Road in Balham. I sold it in 1997 for about £85,000. Imagine what it would be worth now. I'm such an idiot.

Haha, I bet 85k wouldn't even be enough for a deposit on that apartment now. People have been saying the buble is going to pop for the past 5 years now, but I have my doubts.
post #21488 of 37396
I was going to recommend Brick Ln too. It was the go-to place for curry in the 90s, but I had a suspicion my advice would be out-dated.
post #21489 of 37396
Brick Ln is worth the detour just for the bagels (beigels...) fresh off the oven. Such a contrast with the giant fluffy bready stuff that is found in the US.
post #21490 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Brick Ln is worth the detour just for the bagels (beigels...) fresh off the oven. Such a contrast with the giant fluffy bready stuff that is found in the US.

Absolutely. Ideally piled high with slabs of salted beef :drool:

post #21491 of 37396
When I lived in Battersea in the late 90s, we used to make a giant detour all the way to Brick Ln from Brixton after a night out clubbing, just to wait in line and grab a bag of fresh beigels for the weekend
post #21492 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

When I lived in Battersea in the late 90s, we used to make a giant detour all the way to Brick Ln from Brixton after a night out clubbing, just to wait in line and grab a bag of fresh beigels for the weekend

They're still open 24/7, and prices are very fair. Now that there are many clubs in shoreditch it's a more convenient location as well. No need to make a detour from Brixton.

I lived a 5 minute walk from brick lane 2 years ago, and would religiously pick up either a salt beef bagel or a slice of carrot cake after a night out.

During the weekends the little bakery is so busy now that there's a line circling around the shop and all the way outside to shoreditch high street. There's no AC, so temperatures are unbearable during summer time inside the bakery. No idea how the old ladies behind the counter manage.
post #21493 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post
During the weekends the little bakery is so busy now that there's a line circling around the shop and all the way outside to shoreditch high street. There's no AC, so temperatures are unbearable during summer time inside the bakery. No idea how the old ladies behind the counter manage.

 

That's insane !   But it makes sense given how the night life has changed in the area.  Used to be totally dead at night. 

 

I remember that we used to hang out at the Columbia Rd flower market on sundays in spring & summer -  I wonder if it's still a nice place to spend a couple of hours

post #21494 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post
 

 

That's insane !   But it makes sense given how the night life has changed in the area.  Used to be totally dead at night. 

 

I remember that we used to hang out at the Columbia Rd flower market on sundays in spring & summer -  I wonder if it's still a nice place to spend a couple of hours

 

For some reason I read the bold in a Morgan Freeman voice ala The Shawshank Redemption.

post #21495 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

That's insane !   But it makes sense given how the night life has changed in the area.  Used to be totally dead at night. 

I remember that we used to hang out at the Columbia Rd flower market on sundays in spring & summer -  I wonder if it's still a nice place to spend a couple of hours

I haven't been, thanks for the tip! Basically, draw a big circle around the hoxton, shore ditch high street and old street stations and that's where its been gentrified the most. That market seems right outside the circle, so it has probably been affected by the gentrification. It's hard to tell whether that made it better or worse. It might have become a tourist trap, but I doubt it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)