or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1427

post #21391 of 37428
I'd get navy/burgundy or navy/dark brown. Don't like block stripes that contrast too much such as Navy/Grey.
post #21392 of 37428
I'm going to be a contrarian and say i don't like split toe shoes.

Man I'm still hoping i can try some CJs in person while I'm here. Any recs for where to go?
post #21393 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotiris View Post

Okay block stripe ties - I don't have any. What's the most versitile color scheme? Navy/Brown? Navy/Green? Navy/Red? Somethng else?

Here are some from Drakes:

I have a few brown/blue ties and I find they go with most shirts and sport coats I have.

post #21394 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

I'm going to be a contrarian and say i don't like split toe shoes.
I didn't either, until I saw St Crispin's & EG's split (apron) toe in person. Not only are they beautiful, but they are my go-to casual shoe, especially for sport coats.
post #21395 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

I'm going to be a contrarian and say i don't like split toe shoes.

Man I'm still hoping i can try some CJs in person while I'm here. Any recs for where to go?

Savile Row and the Burlington Arcade is always nice for window shopping. I think C&J has a shop in the Arcade.

I usualky enjoy the walk from the top of Savile Row through the arcade towards Jermyn Street, where lots of shoe brands (including C&J), and lots of shirt makers have stores as well. Then you should walk a bit west for 5 minutes and have a drink at the American Bar at the Stafford.

I believe you wanted to check out SuSu as well, which is located in a side street off savile row (Vigo street). Drakes is in a side street as well.
post #21396 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post

Savile Row and the Burlington Arcade is always nice for window shopping. I think C&J has a shop in the Arcade.

I usualky enjoy the walk from the top of Savile Row through the arcade towards Jermyn Street, where lots of shoe brands (including C&J), and lots of shirt makers have stores as well. Then you should walk a bit west for 5 minutes and have a drink at the American Bar at the Stafford.

I believe you wanted to check out SuSu as well, which is located in a side street off savile row (Vigo street). Drakes is in a side street as well.

There's a C&J in Burlington Arcade (and a church's too). All the other major shoemakers have stores on Jermyn St or nearby (Princes Arcade etc). C&J have two stores on Jermyn St and Duke's hotel just off St James St has the best cocktail bar in London.
post #21397 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post


Savile Row and the Burlington Arcade is always nice for window shopping. I think C&J has a shop in the Arcade.

I usualky enjoy the walk from the top of Savile Row through the arcade towards Jermyn Street, where lots of shoe brands (including C&J), and lots of shirt makers have stores as well. Then you should walk a bit west for 5 minutes and have a drink at the American Bar at the Stafford.

 

Sounds like my perfect afternoon. I'm down in town the week after Easter, so might have to finish early one day and induldge myself. Though I prefer Dukes

post #21398 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowball View Post

There's a C&J in Burlington Arcade (and a church's too). All the other major shoemakers have stores on Jermyn St or nearby (Princes Arcade etc). C&J have two stores on Jermyn St and Duke's hotel just off St James St has the best cocktail bar in London.

Yeah, Dukes is good too. I prefer the atmosphere of the American Bar though.
post #21399 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post

Yeah, Dukes is good too. I prefer the atmosphere of the American Bar though.

Part of what I love about duke's is how very much a hotel it is. The bar and the restaurant (amazing food in a less than amazing venue) are completely happy to be transient and hotelish rather than swanky and cool.
post #21400 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowball View Post

Part of what I love about duke's is how very much a hotel it is. The bar and the restaurant (amazing food in a less than amazing venue) are completely happy to be transient and hotelish rather than swanky and cool.

I understand, it's part of the appeal of the American bar as well. It's by no means a cool place. There are tons of cool cocktail bars that do innovative things, but sometimes the atmosphere of a good hotel bar and an excellent old fashioned is just what you need.
post #21401 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post


I understand, it's part of the appeal of the American bar as well. It's by no means a cool place. There are tons of cool cocktail bars that do innovative things, but sometimes the atmosphere of a good hotel bar and an excellent old fashioned is just what you need.

Will have to give Stafford's a go, its not somewhere that's appeared on my radar so far. My brain kind of linked American bar with the Savoy.

post #21402 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post

The one suede shoe: What's yours?

I'd eventually like to add a pair to my rotation and all opinions are welcomed.

 

For me, the one shoe would be a brown or dark tan calf brogue.  I don't think suede is the right one shoe in itself.  But if calf shoes are covered, I'd say the soft informality of suede would point me at a monk or a tassel loafer: that easy slipper feel is nice for lazing in chinos at a coffee shop, or just as well as a monk with a sports jacket - from autumn tweed to summer linen; anything with texture.

post #21403 of 37428
Sweet, looks like i know what I'm doing one of these afternoons!
post #21404 of 37428

@The Noodles do you have any more pics of the Formsoa blue plaid?

 

Everyone - which would be the most practical addition to my wardrobe, the navy plaid Formosa or the grey flannel Formosa. Workplace is on the slighter more casual side of CBD (i.e. suit/tie every day, but freedom to go beyond charcoal/navy) Bear in mind this will be for average temperatures ranging from 50 - 80. I currently have:

 

Navy wool birdseye

Grey wool birdseye

Charcoal wool

Light blue wool/linen

 

Thanks!


Edited by sebastian mcfox - 3/27/15 at 12:14pm
post #21405 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post

The one suede shoe: What's yours?

I'd eventually like to add a pair to my rotation and all opinions are welcomed.

 

Vass' mid brown and Carmina's polo suede are both fantastic, rich colors if you like the hint of red.  Carmina's 5 eyelet chukka on Rain last could be perfect for your use. easily pairs with SC or on the weekend with jeans.  Here are mine in tobacco suede:

 

 

And the Vass

 

 

 

I would also consider a double monk for use with slacks and SC.  

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


Under utilized? I probably have 40 shirts in my closet from STF. Its my go to place for shirts. And yeah, Ian is one of the nicest guys out there.

 

 

haha, i guess not under utilized by all.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)