Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:33 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1389post #20821 of 374923/21/15 at 4:51ampost #20822 of 374923/21/15 at 4:56amQuote:Originally Posted by Monkeyface
Either way, going to Naples for a couple of days just to get a suit doesn't make sense. Not now, not a year from now, not ever. No matter how much money you have, you'll still be wasting valuable time just to get a suit. As much as people hate traveling tailors, they do make sense from a convenience standpoint. Although most convenient would be to just get a suit from a local tailor.
Like Thom Sweeney or Steed. Styleforum's craze for all things Napoli can be bothersome.post #20823 of 374923/21/15 at 4:56amQuote:
Yeah, it's not my favourite Italian city, that's for sure. Naples definitely doesn't make my list of top 50 weekend trip destinations, perhaps even top 100. It says a lot that non of my Italian friends would ever recommend Naples if you want a fun weekend trip.post #20824 of 374923/21/15 at 5:07amQuote:
Apart from the tailoring, Naples boasts the best coffee in the world, the best pizza and mozzarella obviously. Superb pastry like sfogliatelle or delicious roadside snacks like carciofi alla brace. Nearby Sorrento and the Amalfi coast are the most beautiful scenery you'll encounter anywhere. And if you're into history, there's Pompeii and the city itself is chock-full of churches full of masterpieces.
And then there's the mess and the pickpockets and petty thieves. But just keep your wits about, leave your Rolex in the hotel room safe and enjoy Napoli.
You don't go to Naples for a bespoke suit because it's convenient. Ordering online from Suit Supply is convenient, like ordering your pizza from Pizza Hut.post #20825 of 374923/21/15 at 5:59amNapoli is a beautiful city with a lot of potential but full of problems...
I would advice to visit Sicily and Palermo in particular, similar to Naples in some way. Chaotic and confusing, but fascinating.
Better to visit during summer, even though the weather is almost unbereable ( 30-35°C and very humid). If you like neapolitan tailoring, sicilian tailoring has a very similar concept: soft tailoring, soft shoulder and lightweight fabrics. Also way cheaper than Napoli, 700-800€ for a jacket, 1000-1200€ for a suit. Obviously full canvassed and with quality fabrics.post #20826 of 374923/21/15 at 6:24ampost #20827 of 374923/21/15 at 6:34am
How does one go about commissioning something in Sicily, for example? It seems difficult if you don't speak Italian without a translator. I will likely be in Italy towards the end of the year, with free accommodation in Rome..Was thinking the money I save in that leg could be put towards a new suit. But perhaps on a limited budget it would be just as fruitful to look for RTW on a discount, especially since a lot of stuff usually fits me well without alterations. For me though, I struggle to find suits with trousers where I actually like the cut and details. E.g. I hate flat fronts, most RTW stuff doesn't have a high enough rise for me etc.post #20828 of 374923/21/15 at 6:44amQuote:
What's wrong with sticking out?
If you're in a very conservative business environment, then I'm sure you wouldn't be considering this. Otherwise, get them because you love them. The colour is inherently subtle, the contrast between the textures doesn't leap out at first glance. I think you can wear them just like you would, say, a country derby instead of a brogued oxford: less formal, but still very smart. Go on, get them because you love them and wear them to death.post #20829 of 374923/21/15 at 6:49am
Pictures of what you want definitely help. Of course they must be realistic pictures for your body type. And then just sprinkle in some Italian phrases like "spalla piu larghe" for wider shoulders (this I would personally recommend) and "spalla morbida" for soft shoulder and "spalla rotunda" round shoulder. Probably would need to know a few words to figure out a schedule for fittings. Additionally from what I've read about the Sicilian tailors they like making their pants low rise and slim... so might need to learn Italian to say you want a high rise and pleats. Sleeveheads guide to Sicilian Tailoring seems like a pretty good reference (I bought and read it myself). May not be worth the hassle for you if you already like the fit of rtw suits.post #20830 of 374923/21/15 at 6:50ampost #20831 of 374923/21/15 at 6:53ampost #20832 of 374923/21/15 at 7:16amThread StarterNot to the extent that Naples is romanticized though.
If I recall, your trip worked out very well for you (though I don't know how you managed to spend time with gianni cerruti without kicking him in the shin for dressing like a clown and stealing the money of a number of SF members...might have been before your time).
But it isn't representative of a lot of people's first bespoke experience.
Vietnam has better coffee than Naples.post #20833 of 374923/21/15 at 7:24ampost #20834 of 374923/21/15 at 7:27amThread StarterYeah. He was really helpful to WM, though, I think (sorry if I'm confusing you with someone else, WM).
Gianni the tie dude who sold a bunch of people modern "vintage inspired" silks and said they were vintage and upon leaving SF failed to deliver ties to a number of people who had already paid (generally months previously, before the scandal broke).
Way to ninja edit Noodles so I sound like a crazy person responding to a question no one asked.post #20835 of 374923/21/15 at 7:28amQuote:
I think that people who purchase "Neapolitan" suits with italian sounding names, designed by a pre-IPO Dutch corporation and made in China, probably contribute more to the romanticized image of Neapolitan tailoring than those who decide they're going to give their business to actual tailors in Naples to keep that craft alive.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing,... 1 minute ago
- › The Home Ownership Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Advice on tuxedos 3 minutes ago
- › Offical Barbour Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 3 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 6 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 14 minutes ago
- › Recent purchases - Part II 14 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 16 minutes ago
- › Zam Barrett Dialogue/ Zfactorie - Official Affiliate Thread. 16 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...