or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1364

post #20446 of 37396
I'm not sure I see anything that needs explaining. Different seamstresses and tailors make different lapel buttonholes. Some are very long, some are smaller; some are very straight, some are angled; some are very closed, some gape open; some are incredibly ornate and precise, others are a little more rugged. Each has its own character, nothing that can be explained.
post #20447 of 37396
Thread Starter 
I see button downs and knit ties as a natural pairing. Both casual expressions of something generally more formal.
post #20448 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post


Saw that on FB. Greg, can you explain the small (and maybe oddly positioned) boutonniere?

 

The button hole?  Formosa has some pretty small button holes.  Here is one of mine for comparison:

 

 

I thought this one was pretty small, but then I looked at my others and they are all unique.  I even texted a picture to Stitch and he said, "looks hand made".  That pretty much sums it up. 

post #20449 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

I see button downs and knit ties as a natural pairing. Both casual expressions of something generally more formal.

 

I agree it is the natural pairing, my taste just happens to be unnatural regarding this one. 

post #20450 of 37396
I love BDs and ties. I guess I am in the minority. Can you tell me about that shirt smile.gif.

i may have to buy, well, that whole combo.
post #20451 of 37396

I like bd collars with some less formal ties too: paisleys, certain prints, maybe schlubby ties..


I don't get the hate. it's one of those SF things...

post #20452 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcomer View Post

I love BDs and ties. I guess I am in the minority. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post


I don't get the hate. it's one of those SF things...

 

oh, I thought I was in the minority on that one.  guess I haven't been around here long enough

post #20453 of 37396
I tend to dislike bd collars with ties in general, with some rare exceptions. A linen suit, a cotton suit/jacket or something similarly casual and not intended to be professional looking, are some of those exceptions. I think that linen suit and knit tie would look equally nice with the same shirt in spread - but it would be missing that leisurely angle to the look.
post #20454 of 37396

I guess it's a new england thing?

 

Vox has said more on this matter than I will ever be able to so I defer to things he's written. 

post #20455 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

I guess it's a new england thing?

 

Vox has said more on this matter than I will ever be able to so I defer to things he's written. 

 

It's a Murica thing....started by Brooks Brothers in the late 1800's.

post #20456 of 37396

Why do you hate murka?

post #20457 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

Why do you hate murka?

 

I love Murica.  I hate BD collars with ties.  I love them without ties.

post #20458 of 37396

There's nothing better than an Oxford cloth shirt with a semi-spread collar. I have one from Luxire and want about six more. "All is for the best, and the best of all possible worlds."

post #20459 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

I'm not sure I see anything that needs explaining. Different seamstresses and tailors make different lapel buttonholes. Some are very long, some are smaller; some are very straight, some are angled; some are very closed, some gape open; some are incredibly ornate and precise, others are a little more rugged. Each has its own character, nothing that can be explained.

So, you're calling me a philistine? smile.gif
post #20460 of 37396

I'm weirded out by all this BD hatred.

 

There was ample discussion on this very subject in the (now largely defunct) CBD thread, and it was agreed that BD collars with suits were acceptable, especially in America.

 

Just like strongly patterned/coloured shirts with suits are acceptable in the City of London.

 

(Assuming always of course, that all other variables are chosen impeccably well.)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)