or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1348

post #20206 of 37405

@Murlsquirl , without a doubt this question has been asked before but I'm too lazy to re-read 1000 pages of GNAT: why would you sell that suit if it's that awesome?

post #20207 of 37405
When you guys wear a lighter colored suit... Do you eat foods that are less messy and drink say white wine over red? I was eating squid ink ramen in my solaro suit which resulted in a few bad stains and a very bad panic attack... Needless to say I spent the rest of that day finding a reputable cleaner to take care of it (fortunately Hong Kong has some decent cleaners). Should I only eat sushi in my lighter suits or should I just get dark suits/jackets from now on?
post #20208 of 37405

This is a tricky one, but how much space should one generally allow for in jackets? I have been buying jackets with measurements between 40.3-41 and have a 38/39" inch chest - beginning to think I need to start sizing up. Hard without fit pics, I know. But tightness in the chest when I move/lift my arms isn't uncommon..

 

Edit: referring to suit jackets here..

post #20209 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian mcfox View Post
 

This is a tricky one, but how much space should one generally allow for in jackets? I have been buying jackets with measurements between 40.3-41 and have a 38/39" inch chest - beginning to think I need to start sizing up. Hard without fit pics, I know. But tightness in the chest when I move/lift my arms isn't uncommon..

 

It depends.  Some jackets are meant to be cut closer to the body than others so it depends upon design.  Generally speaking, between 3 and 4 inches is common, I think.  Some discussion can be found here:

 

http://www.cutterandtailor.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2820

 

Tightness in the chest can also be associated with armhole position, I believe.

 

You might also run the question by the tailoring thread folk.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #20210 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakMonday View Post

When you guys wear a lighter colored suit... Do you eat foods that are less messy and drink say white wine over red? I was eating squid ink ramen in my solaro suit which resulted in a few bad stains and a very bad panic attack... Needless to say I spent the rest of that day finding a reputable cleaner to take care of it (fortunately Hong Kong has some decent cleaners). Should I only eat sushi in my lighter suits or should I just get dark suits/jackets from now on?

I don't think I've ever ordered food differently based on what I was wearing. Spilling on lighter colored suits can suck, but most stains can be taken care of if you act quickly and get the clothes to a good cleaner. Ultimately clothes are meant to be worn and enjoyed, not stop us from enjoying life and our surroundings (within reason, obviously I'm not going to start wearing a suit to the gym or to do manual labor).
post #20211 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakMonday View Post

When you guys wear a lighter colored suit... Do you eat foods that are less messy and drink say white wine over red? I was eating squid ink ramen in my solaro suit which resulted in a few bad stains and a very bad panic attack... Needless to say I spent the rest of that day finding a reputable cleaner to take care of it (fortunately Hong Kong has some decent cleaners). Should I only eat sushi in my lighter suits or should I just get dark suits/jackets from now on?

 

Squid ink ramen and red wine are necessities of life. I guess you should only get dark suits from now on. You can send your solaro suit to me, now that you don't need it anymore. I'll PM you my address. ;)

 

 

More seriously: take off your jacket and use a napkin?

post #20212 of 37405

Great, this is very useful

post #20213 of 37405

I eat what I want and wear what I want, taking rational precautions but with full awareness that stuff happens.

 

That said, some will be amused to learn that every order of a shirt from Proper Cloth comes with a form letter which includes the following advice:

 

"Don't order bolognese when wearing a white dress shirt.  Especially when drinking Cabernet.  That's just asking for trouble."

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #20214 of 37405

We interrupt the following program with the follow advertisement. 

It's called 너구리 라면 or Raccoon Ramen. (No joke). 

2451FE47548A589A14F6AB

post #20215 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

@Murlsquirl
, without a doubt this question has been asked before but I'm too lazy to re-read 1000 pages of GNAT: why would you sell that suit if it's that awesome?

Jacket length. It is "acceptable"...especially for a casual suit, but I need a L. I kept it and if Noodles doesn't buy it, I'll have it lengthened one of these days.

I couldn't care less if he buys it or not. I love the suit and will be MTO the same one if he does. I know he needs suits, so I offered to him only. I'm either really generous or a complete idiot.
post #20216 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeakMonday View Post

When you guys wear a lighter colored suit... Do you eat foods that are less messy and drink say white wine over red? I was eating squid ink ramen in my solaro suit which resulted in a few bad stains and a very bad panic attack... Needless to say I spent the rest of that day finding a reputable cleaner to take care of it (fortunately Hong Kong has some decent cleaners). Should I only eat sushi in my lighter suits or should I just get dark suits/jackets from now on?


This is the bane of my existence. I have a very light beige/fawn jacket from corneliani, one of my favourites and too often wear it out to dinner and incidentally get drunk. I wake up hungover, palpitating with fear as I check the jacket for stains. Thankfully nothing yet...

post #20217 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post


Jacket length. It is "acceptable"...especially for a casual suit, but I need a L. I kept it and if Noodles doesn't buy it, I'll have it lengthened one of these days.

I couldn't care less if he buys it or not. I love the suit and will be MTO the same one if he does. I know he needs suits, so I offered to him only. I'm either really generous or a complete idiot.

 

I see, that makes perfect sense. You're very generous indeed, certainly not a complete idiot. I guess we all know who is being just that in this thread... :fence:

post #20218 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post
 

 

I see, that makes perfect sense. You're very generous indeed, certainly not a complete idiot. I guess we all know who is being just that in this thread... :fence:

:rotflmao:

I claim that title! 

(Or you could say I earned it)

post #20219 of 37405
Thread Starter 

@The Noodles, if you know what fabric you're interested in (Fresco 0520?), you can buy it directly and have it shipped to B&T. It'll probably save you a bit of money. B&T, like all tailors in Korea, upcharge the fabric a bit. They have to pay, I think, a subscription fee to have access to the fabric to begin with, so perhaps this is why.

post #20220 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post


Jacket length. It is "acceptable"...especially for a casual suit, but I need a L. I kept it and if Noodles doesn't buy it, I'll have it lengthened one of these days.

I couldn't care less if he buys it or not. I love the suit and will be MTO the same one if he does. I know he needs suits, so I offered to him only. I'm either really generous or a complete idiot.

 

You're the generous one, noodles is the idiot :nest: 

 

Edit: didn't read noodles reply. Noodles, just buy it!!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)