or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1309

post #19621 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

185 lbs. 
I cannot control my diet. That's part of the problem. I usually at really light dinners until I got married. Now, I have to eat a full meal because it is the only time when the two of us can sit down and dine together. This week, I started doing squats with 40 lbs dumbbells on each side until I couldn't do it anymore. Then I just moved over to jump roping. But I need to start doing it everyday. Eat right and be consistent in working out. At work, I spring up the stairs every hour. 

You can do it. I was at 185lbs 3 weeks ago after a trip to Lagos now I am down to 180lbs and I haven't even been going to the gym all that much. Just reduce your portions or fast after that big meal and get your fibers in. Work out whenever you can and don't kill yourself
post #19622 of 37396
:lurk:

Edited by The Noodles - 3/3/15 at 7:54am
post #19623 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Thx. I'll report back after my trip but hopefully I would've lost a good amount. I noticed a drastic difference in my metabolism a year ago. I just don't burn off the calories like I used to. Sucks being 33. 

lurker[1].gif
post #19624 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

@justridiculous

The answer is "it depends," IMO. How much weight do you intend to lose (how many inches off your waist)? Do you intend to do any intense weightlifting that might result in jackets being too small in the chest / shoulders? Do you have regular needs to wear a suit / sport coat and tie or is it more something you'd like to do.

Over the past 7 months or so, I've probably lost 20 pounds and 2 inches or so off my waistline while maintaining most of my upper body mass. My jackets still fit in the chest and shoulders, but getting them taken in at the waist (and getting trousers taken in at the waist and seat) is a must. I've been putting it off and doing things like wearing suspenders with my suits, but eventually it's going to have to happen. My clothes weren't really roomy in the waist area when I had them made, so this may mitigate some of the effect.

If you don't have a regular need to wear tailored clothing, I'd say focus on the weight loss first and in the meantime save the money to have a larger war chest to acquire nice clothes while taking the time to learn about clothing and develop your tastes. Keep in mind your preference for things like the cut of a jacket or how slim or roomy you like your trousers may change as you get in better shape. If you want to make some acquisitions in the meantime, I'd start with shoes. You should be able to still wear them after losing weight. Ties are a possibility, though maybe not as practical if you aren't wearing tailored jackets much as you lose weight. Shirts are another possibility as getting something taken in a bit is a relatively minor operation. And when you get to your goal, don't spend all your saved money at once. Even if you think you know your preferences, you will make mistakes and it's better to start slow. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the great answer. My goal is to lose 30-40 lbs all in all. I'd like to go down by about two sizes, if I can. I'm not planning on getting into weightlifting, more into running and biking. If I may ask, how did you shed your 20 lbs?

 

I don't have to wear tailored clothing; my office is pretty casual and I'm usually the most "dressed up" person in my department. I'm okay with wearing OCBDs and sweaters for the time being, but I just really enjoy wearing tailored clothing. 

post #19625 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Thx. I'll report back after my trip but hopefully I would've lost a good amount. I noticed a drastic difference in my metabolism a year ago. I just don't burn off the calories like I used to. Sucks being 33. 
I was 170lbs@33

Good times
post #19626 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post
 

I cannot control my diet. That's part of the problem. I usually at really light dinners until I got married. Now, I have to eat a full meal because it is the only time when the two of us can sit down and dine together.

 

I rarely post in this thread, but this is just so unbelievably weird I had to respond.

 

You can have a perfectly wonderful dining experience with your wife without losing control of your diet or needing to eat a "full meal." Separately, if you are eating a full meal, you won't gain weight. A full meal is what your body needs. Anything more is an excessive meal.

post #19627 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post

I was 170lbs@33

Good times

I'm 175 @ 35.

I was also 175 @ 21

I think my weight has been in the same 6 pound range for the past 18 years or so.
post #19628 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post

I was 170lbs@33

Good times

I'm 175 @ 35.

I was also 175 @ 21

I think my weight has been in the same 6 pound range for the past 18 years or so.


185 @ 18

185 @ 25

185 @ 30

185 @ 35

192 @ 39...

post #19629 of 37396
Yeah - it takes a little bit of work here and there but it's worth it. I don't go to the gym. I used to when I was younger. Now I just eat mostly well and walk like 3-6 miles per day.
post #19630 of 37396
:lurk:

Edited by The Noodles - 3/3/15 at 7:54am
post #19631 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick R View Post
 

 

I rarely post in this thread, but this is just so unbelievably weird I had to respond.

 

You can have a perfectly wonderful dining experience with your wife without losing control of your diet or needing to eat a "full meal." Separately, if you are eating a full meal, you won't gain weight. A full meal is what your body needs. Anything more is an excessive meal.

korean-side-dish.jpg

For someone who ate light dinner for ages, ^THIS will really do the damage. 


Then don't eat that, dum-dum.

post #19632 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post
Now I just eat mostly well and walk like 3-6 miles per day.

That's awesome. I used to do this when I lived in a big city. Now that we're in the 'burbs, I have to force myself to go to the gym.

post #19633 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post

I'm 175 @ 35.

I was also 175 @ 21

I think my weight has been in the same 6 pound range for the past 18 years or so.

Nice. My weight has been in the same 25 pound range over the past 22 years or so. Though I suppose if you throw out college and a couple other years much later, it's probably been within an 9 pound range.
post #19634 of 37396
:lurk:

Edited by The Noodles - 3/3/15 at 7:54am
post #19635 of 37396
@JIMB0520 AFB fresco blazer suit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)