or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1300

post #19486 of 37395

"I'm a professional poker player" sounds way better than "I'm unemployed, but I got cash mistah!"

post #19487 of 37395

Of course you're self-employed. You're a professional card player. Nothing wrong with that. I can't see much difference between that and being a pro snooker player - which would make you a "sportsman". (Cue irony emoticon.)

 

Your other criterion for employment, that of taxation status, is irrelevant. Not only that, I'd delete it if I were you.

post #19488 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolation View Post
 

I think all these flats in central london are in high demand I don't think any of them accept less than 6 month agreements.

 

idk I can probably say self employed, but since I don't pay any tax I don't think that's technically true, considering that my profession is not, well, recognized as a job. In any case me telling them I play poker for a living would, if anything, make it look worse.

Do you hustle at cash games? Otherwise the not paying taxes and professional poker player appear to be contradictory.

post #19489 of 37395
 

 


 

How come Michael Douglas looks so much more badass than me in these glasses?

 

Life just isn't fair.

post #19490 of 37395

No, gambling income is just not recognize in the UK, and therefore not taxed, but it's also not recognized officially as an employment for any purpose (ie. visa, or in this case, tenancy). Yes it's of course a form of self-employment, just not one recognized by at least banks as well as the border agency, and presumably the government. For instance, if the banks ask me where I got the money, I tell them exactly where I got them (from poker/gambling), but they would treat it as winnings as opposed to employment, and they treat it as basically me winning a lottery or something, and not a consistent source of money.

post #19491 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolation View Post

No, gambling income is just not recognize in the UK, and therefore not taxed, but it's also not recognized officially as an employment for any purpose (ie. visa, or in this case, tenancy). Yes it's of course a form of self-employment, just not one recognized by at least banks as well as the border agency, and presumably the government. For instance, if the banks ask me where I got the money, I tell them exactly where I got them (from poker/gambling), but they would treat it as winnings as opposed to employment, and they treat it as basically me winning a lottery or something, and not a consistent source of money.

I have a very well paying (for my age) and stable job, and lots of letting agencies still asked me for 6 months up front. I managed to negotiate that down to just a 6 week deposit, which seems to be the standard anyway.

It's also extremely difficult to open any bank account if you don't have 3 years of UK address history (preferably at the same address) and the same goes for credit cards. I can't event get a £500 limit 40% APR card to build my credit, even with setting up a direct debit to pay the balance in full each month.

At the moment I have a basic bank account where I have to pay the bank monthly fees for keeping my money. Opening a savings account or any other account is impossible, and it'll stay like that for the next 2 years.

To the guy thinking of coming to London without a job, don't do it. London is so expensive that without a stable income it's just no fun. You gotta pay to play in this city, unless you want to live in zone 6 or something. But if you live over an hour commute from the fringes of the city, can you really say you l're living in London and enjoying all it has to offer?

Stay in OZ, much nicer weather, the people are friendlier and the beaches are beautiful.
post #19492 of 37395

The point about gambling is that the tax is paid at the beginning: poker is complicated because it depends on the venue, but in general, a lottery ticket or a bet at a bookmaker are subject to tax when you place the bet.  As the winnings are paid out of the money staked, that money is considered to have already been taxed.

 

It's been a long time since I went into the bookies', but I seem to recall that at one point there was a choice to either pay the tax on the bet or the winnings i.e. add 10% or whatever to the cost of your stake, or pay it on your new fortune if the three legged donkey ever won the Grand National.

 

I'm intrigued by anyone's having the skill and bravery to make a living at poker.  Unlike the Lottery, which depresses me greatly: a tax on ignorance of basic mathematics is no way for a government to treat its people!

post #19493 of 37395

Yeah, London as a place is pretty competitive/in high demand, so I'm happy with getting the place sans having 74k in savings to show them (my finds aren't liquid obviously, I'm not going to put that much money in a savings account, though I guess they'd probably take an index or other investment if it comes to it). Speaking of, the one thing good about being a poker player I can actually jump to any city with a healthy poker circle and live until my visitor's limit/visa expires and probably be okay. Some friends and I hypothesized it's probably quite feasible to live your entire life on cruise ships with poker on them. From my small sample size of 1 it seems entirely doable.

 

I don't want to do that of course, I need a house big enough to fit all my shoes.

 

Yeah I'm very much against the national lottery. I think as bad as casinos can be for people, it's much much better than lottery tickets available at corner shops, preying on people who are living in such a poor standard they need that glimmer of hope to carry on, whereas at casinos it's a social event, you know you're spending money (albeit with a chance to win) for entertainment, and people generally know what they're getting into when they go into a casino. Lottery and sportsbetting, much less so I think. Still it's hard to say, and it might be moot/splitting hairs to compare how bad one industry is compared to another when maybe all of it is corrupt/predatory in some way.

 

But yes of course, as a consumer as well as a patron of casinos, I do pay tax, just in a different way. Unfortunately governments and many establishments don't consider that the case so, shucks for me, 6 months deposit it is.

post #19494 of 37395

Thanks for the advice Monkeyface. I'm in Jordan at the moment. My work pays for all my expenses, but it is quite expensive living here in terms of weekends etc., especially  as I like to drink.  Going back to Australia is an option, but I wanted a break from Australia to be honest. Staying here is an option also, or perhaps another country in the Middle East. I'll have to weigh everything up. Jordan is great, but I would have to be offered a better salary if i was to stay here.  I would have free accommodation in London (my sister lives there), but not in the heart of the city or anything. I do have a friend with a houseboat there too, who said I could house-sit (or boat sit?), he lives in a pretty awesome upper class hood (I've never been to London and unfortunately forgot the name of the area). I could see myself moseying out on the deck in the early morning in a nice robe, coffee in hand (or a bloody mary and cigar on Saturday mornings, two brunettes still asleep in my bed). The reality probably isn't as bright, but i prefer to live in my fantasy world at the moment. 

post #19495 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:

Quote:


How come Michael Douglas looks so much more badass than me in these glasses?

Life just isn't fair.

Need more frown, you look far too happy....
post #19496 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post

´

Exquisite Trimmings has about a dozen to choose from in the ties section of the site. I don't think I saw a filter for just bowties. Shibumi also has 3 on their site right now as well. I know that still isn't much to choose from but it's a couple options you hadn't mentioned in your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxsackie View Post

Henry Carter has several Macclesfield bows on sale right now, as well as this beauty in challis:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

You'll need to be quick though - there's only one left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjedi View Post

Henry Carter has a few as well. I was thinking about trying one from Sam Hober … lots to choose from there. In the US… I think j.Press, Ben Silver and O'Connells has a large selection of RTW. Also, A Suitable Wardrobe.


Thanks for the suggestions guys, I don't know why I didn't think of Exquisite Trimmings myself. Will also check Hober and Herry Carter.....
post #19497 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolation View Post

No, gambling income is just not recognize in the UK, and therefore not taxed, but it's also not recognized officially as an employment for any purpose (ie. visa, or in this case, tenancy). Yes it's of course a form of self-employment, just not one recognized by at least banks as well as the border agency, and presumably the government. For instance, if the banks ask me where I got the money, I tell them exactly where I got them (from poker/gambling), but they would treat it as winnings as opposed to employment, and they treat it as basically me winning a lottery or something, and not a consistent source of money.

You're a pro card player? Have you reached out to other England guys to see how they handle it? Moorman, Cody, Boree, Warrington ... Blom moved there but he's far less accessible.

But yeah, a lot of them are accessible and might have some advice.
post #19498 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post

The point about gambling is that the tax is paid at the beginning: poker is complicated because it depends on the venue, but in general, a lottery ticket or a bet at a bookmaker are subject to tax when you place the bet.  As the winnings are paid out of the money staked, that money is considered to have already been taxed.

It's been a long time since I went into the bookies', but I seem to recall that at one point there was a choice to either pay the tax on the bet or the winnings i.e. add 10% or whatever to the cost of your stake, or pay it on your new fortune if the three legged donkey ever won the Grand National.

I'm intrigued by anyone's having the skill and bravery to make a living at poker.  Unlike the Lottery, which depresses me greatly: a tax on ignorance of basic mathematics is no way for a government to treat its people!

A couple countries don't tax it - Canada and England being the big two and that's why so many pro players moved to both countries. Then there are countries that place an insanely high tax on it - like Sweden.

It's all over the place. A lot of places still haven't recognized it as a skill game and continue to insist it's normal gambling like table games and scratch tickets. Small mindedness at work ...
post #19499 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

bow ties

 

In addition to the other recommendations, take a look at Vanda.
post #19500 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejackson View Post

Thanks for the advice Monkeyface. I'm in Jordan at the moment. My work pays for all my expenses, but it is quite expensive living here in terms of weekends etc., especially  as I like to drink.  Going back to Australia is an option, but I wanted a break from Australia to be honest. Staying here is an option also, or perhaps another country in the Middle East. I'll have to weigh everything up. Jordan is great, but I would have to be offered a better salary if i was to stay here.  I would have free accommodation in London (my sister lives there), but not in the heart of the city or anything. I do have a friend with a houseboat there too, who said I could house-sit (or boat sit?), he lives in a pretty awesome upper class hood (I've never been to London and unfortunately forgot the name of the area). I could see myself moseying out on the deck in the early morning in a nice robe, coffee in hand (or a bloody mary and cigar on Saturday mornings, two brunettes still asleep in my bed). The reality probably isn't as bright, but i prefer to live in my fantasy world at the moment. 

Go on a holiday first, and live like a regular person. London is a fantastic city, but it's also insanely busy, overcrowded and extremely expensive.

I like to drink as well, but I've actually cut back my drinking considerably since coming here. Those £15-£20 drinks get expensive real fast. Let's break down the average night out costs:

£20 entry
4 drinks at £15=£60
£25 uber back home
+
£105

Want to have dinner and maybe a drink during dinner with friends beforhand?
£100 for a decent restaurant
+
£205 ($320) for an average night out. Add another £100 for a special night out or if you go to multiple bars. Anything in zone 1 and 2 (look at the tube map) will be roughly equally as expensive, with some areas being even more expensive.

Anyways, I don't want to discourage you too much, but make a budget before you go, add 25% to that, and that's probably how much you'll end up spending each month. If you can stay at friends/family for free for an indefinite period it would definiyely help, as at the moment 45% of my post tax monthly income goes to rent and other related costs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)