or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1201

post #18001 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

Doing my best impersonation of a Yoox model as I try on this Cantarelli jacket.  Beyond the fact that I clearly need a long, I'm wondering if I've found a new maker that fits me as I suspect the button point on a long will go down a half inch or so.



What size is that jacket?
post #18002 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post

Even the Cantarelli L are too short for my taste. It's hard to tell with that upward angle, but I think another inch or so in the long should be alright for you.

 

I suspect it will be on the short side, but acceptable, which is crazy considering that I've had to shorten many of my L jackets from a few years ago.

post #18003 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post
 

Tall man. A long would be much better.

 

If Murl's 6'3" and the two of you wear the same size in Formosa, you have to be fairly tall yourself, no?  Are you 6'0?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by romafan View Post


What size is that jacket?

 

52RIT/42R U.S.

post #18004 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

If Murl's 6'3" and the two of you wear the same size in Formosa, you have to be fairly tall yourself, no?  Are you 6'0?
Very Close. I also have a torso that is longer than an average man.

I believe Murl found 50R size to be too short. He definitely overshadowed me.
post #18005 of 37395

@Claghorn is this Hober the wool herringbone?  I'm considering purchasing it and curious how accurate the color is.

 

post #18006 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Very Close. I also have a torso that is longer than an average man.

I believe Murl found 50R size to be too short. He definitely overshadowed me.

Yep, it was in the acceptable range, but it looked off to me....I'm all legs. I get 50L in Formosa now.

Just grabbed this beauty off the porch:

post #18007 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywhyy View Post
 

SF's groupthink against black shoes is unfortunate. 

Tell that to @wurger  http://www.styleforum.net/t/362365/the-quintessential-dress-shoe-black-cap-toe-oxford 

post #18008 of 37395
I'm travelling so it'll be a while until photos. I'll do photos as well as videos because my photos always end up being unnaturally stiff. Apparently I'm just no good at standing straight but relaxed.

On shoes, I must have the most ridiculous collection if 20 pairs but not a single pair of oxfords. I just wear my single monks instead. I think I'll get a pair of black punch hole captors and full brogue burgundy at some point, good choice?

I want the CJ Chadwick and a bunch of their suede shoes though!
post #18009 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post


Yep, it was in the acceptable range, but it looked off to me....I'm all legs. I get 50L in Formosa now.

Just grabbed this beauty off the porch:

 

Tell me more.  I have that tie in blue and burgundy and absolutely love them.  I've held off on the green one because I've been worred about the red/green Christmas effect, but your picture looks much better than the swatch I've got.

post #18010 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

Tell me more.  I have that tie in blue and burgundy and absolutely love them.  I've held off on the green one because I've been worred about the red/green Christmas effect, but your picture looks much better than the swatch I've got.

No Christmas effect about this time whatsoever. It's just pure awesomeness.
post #18011 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post


No Christmas effect about this time whatsoever. It's just pure awesomeness.

 

I can see that.  Congrats!  Now I wait for the fabric to be restocked.

post #18012 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post

If the fit isn't right, resist. Why buy something your not entirely happy with?

Thanks Murls!

You are right. I tend to get excited and compromise. With this one it was the fabric description and that I don't have a gingham shirt and always wanted one. I've never bought an EP shirt, but tried them on in-store and the fit is better than most of the shirts I have, but shirts are probably an area where I shouldn't compromise anymore.

Unfortunately, I am still at the point where I'm rarely entirely happy with a clothing purchase. It's been an expensive bit of trial & error, and I'm still trying to find what works for me. This thread has become my first read and is helping me to reevaluate. You guys have been great! I just need to keep myself from repeating past mistakes. Thanks again!
post #18013 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjedi View Post

Thanks Murls!

You are right. I tend to get excited and compromise. With this one it was the fabric description and that I don't have a gingham shirt and always wanted one. I've never bought an EP shirt, but tried them on in-store and the fit is better than most of the shirts I have, but shirts are probably an area where I shouldn't compromise anymore.

Unfortunately, I am still at the point where I'm rarely entirely happy with a clothing purchase. It's been an expensive bit of trial & error, and I'm still trying to find what works for me. This thread has become my first read and is helping me to reevaluate. You guys have been great! I just need to keep myself from repeating past mistakes. Thanks again!

No problem. Even my best fitting OTR shirts have have minor issues, but that's what you get with RTW....it wasn't made for you. If the EP issues don't really bother you the overall fit is pretty good, then by all means, grab one of the price is right. I definitely wouldn't buy a bunch because I have done that before, only to find something soon after that fit much better...expensive mistakes. If your in So Cal, you have the option of going bespoke with Ascot Chang in BH.
post #18014 of 37395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post

No problem. Even my best fitting OTR shirts have have minor issues, but that's what you get with RTW....it wasn't made for you. If the EP issues don't really bother you the overall fit is pretty good, then by all means, grab one of the price is right. I definitely wouldn't buy a bunch because I have done that before, only to find something soon after that fit much better...expensive mistakes. If your in So Cal, you have the option of going bespoke with Ascot Chang in BH.

Ascot Chang is in BH? I always thought they were in SFO. Great to know! I have admired a lot of their stuff. At first I thought of trying Hemrajani since they're office is local as well, but ended up going with Proper Cloth. I ordered my first shirt almost a year ago, but didn't make any modifications. My second shirt should have arrived today, but was delayed till next week. I'm hoping the fit will spot on as the last one was a bit blousy. I was planning to try out Luxire once I got the PC fit down, but now I might just go to Ascot Chang as there are other items I'd like to get from them in the future. Thanks for the tip and the advice! I'm going to pass on the EP shirt and put that money towards something that will keep me on the right track.
post #18015 of 37395
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Shoes1 View Post

@Claghorn
 is this Hober the wool herringbone?  I'm considering purchasing it and curious how accurate the color is.

It is, and that's a pretty accurate picture of its color.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)