or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 121

post #1801 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Other than the open lacing, what do you not like about them? Your argument has been about suitability in his context, not really the shoes themselves. So, if we stipulate that they are contextually appropriate, do your objections remain?

 

Yeah, I just don't like the concept of black cap toe derbies. Black is the most formal colour for shoes, so they're a little in between everything, a mix of formalities. It's a little like a tweed navy pinstripe suit. Brown cap toe derbies are fine though. Anyway, I was advising him he might as well go for oxfords the next time he's looking to buy shoes. Seen as Rudals didn't know the difference between derbies and oxfords, I thought it would be helpful if he at least know what it is. 

 

Now that I'm thinking about it, I might have a negative view of them because people who wear ill fitting polyester suits with terrible ties also tend to wear black cap toe derbies around here, while people in very nice suits and ties tend to wear black cap toe oxfords. It's almost like a class divider. Kinda weird, because oxfords don't cost more than derbies.

post #1802 of 37497

@Monkeyface 

That was actually very helpful. Looking back at my shoes, I see the difference. But I don't think I will ever understand why it would not be the best style to complement a CBD. I just will never get it. But I'll get an Oxford next time. 

 

Thanks! :fonz:

post #1803 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2breformed View Post
 

Alright, looking around, found these AE for a pretty good deal. KOP or NOT?

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

I like them.  I've found the Macneil to be a great fit for me personally.  Seeing them in Suede like that makes me tingle.  They look to be in good condition other than maybe a little dirt by the eyelets but that could be a shadow.  I like those a lot the more I look at them.  I don't know that I've ever seen suede longwings.  

post #1804 of 37497

@Monkeyface

Did you buy the pink tie?

post #1805 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2breformed View Post


Not for me (Click to show)
Alright, looking around, found these AE for a pretty good deal. KOP or NOT?






Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2breformed View Post

Agreed, TweedyProf. They are low on my list currently, but the actually ARE on my list now thanks to Cleav. I would have overlooked them otherwise.

Luv, as ever this is just my perspective.

The whole cuts can look sleek, but that is why I like em in a balanced rota. I was only trying to find a balanced staple set to offer as many options possible with as little outlay.

Those suede AE ^, for me no. Reason, they appear to be a sticking plaster buy, which if I remember correctly got you here, in general, in the first place. They do not work on a number of levels.

When the time is right for you to buy shoes buy new, buy the best you can and don't buy compromise.
post #1806 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post
 

 

Yeah, I just don't like the concept of black cap toe derbies. 

 

I'm with you.  A minimalist formal shoe, in a fundamentally less minimal and less formal structure.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

 

I just will never get it. 

 

 

Do not underestimate the memory-boosting power of physical punishment.

 

Noodles, you really are an arse.  $700?  Let's give the benefit of the doubt and say they're blake stitched and not glued together - I can't tell from the picture, only that they're not welted.  And let's assume that the leather is really OK - looks awful in the promo pics, ironically, yet quite nice on your feet.  And let's call those lasts "contemporary Italian elegant", and not "pointy fashion".

 

$700 is serious shoe money.  It's discount Edward Green (or Stitchy's favourite G&G).  It's full price hand-made Laszlo Vass semi-bespoke in shell cordovan.  $700 for anything less than "WOW" is foolish.  Don't expect congratulation, any more than you should now expect it for paying bespoke prices for RTW suits that don't fit.

 

Anyway, we will get t your shoes.  For now, LTBR needs to be re-shod.  And he only spent $300, and his shoes are better.

post #1807 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2breformed View Post
 

Alright, looking around, found these AE for a pretty good deal. KOP or NOT?

 

 

 

 

Um...weren't you going to hold off on buying? Plan first, I say.

post #1808 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

 

I'm with you.  A minimalist formal shoe, in a fundamentally less minimal and less formal structure.

 

 

Do not underestimate the memory-boosting power of physical punishment.

 

Noodles, you really are an arse.  $700?  Let's give the benefit of the doubt and say they're blake stitched and not glued together - I can't tell from the picture, only that they're not welted.  And let's assume that the leather is really OK - looks awful in the promo pics, ironically, yet quite nice on your feet.  And let's call those lasts "contemporary Italian elegant", and not "pointy fashion".

 

$700 is serious shoe money.  It's discount Edward Green (or Stitchy's favourite G&G).  It's full price hand-made Laszlo Vass semi-bespoke in shell cordovan.  $700 for anything less than "WOW" is foolish.  Don't expect congratulation, any more than you should now expect it for paying bespoke prices for RTW suits that don't fit.

 

Anyway, we will get t your shoes.  For now, LTBR needs to be re-shod.  And he only spent $300, and his shoes are better.


Gentle, Mimo. He knows. New Rudals must live with Old Rudal's choices. New Rudals will also make much better choices. Aging can be a lovely thing sometimes.

post #1809 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post
 

@Monkeyface

Did you buy the pink tie?

 

Not yet. I'll get it if I still want it a week from now.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

 

I'm with you.  A minimalist formal shoe, in a fundamentally less minimal and less formal structure.

 

 

Do not underestimate the memory-boosting power of physical punishment.

 

Noodles, you really are an arse.  $700?  Let's give the benefit of the doubt and say they're blake stitched and not glued together - I can't tell from the picture, only that they're not welted.  And let's assume that the leather is really OK - looks awful in the promo pics, ironically, yet quite nice on your feet.  And let's call those lasts "contemporary Italian elegant", and not "pointy fashion".

 

$700 is serious shoe money.  It's discount Edward Green (or Stitchy's favourite G&G).  It's full price hand-made Laszlo Vass semi-bespoke in shell cordovan.  $700 for anything less than "WOW" is foolish.  Don't expect congratulation, any more than you should now expect it for paying bespoke prices for RTW suits that don't fit.

 

Anyway, we will get t your shoes.  For now, LTBR needs to be re-shod.  And he only spent $300, and his shoes are better.

 

Indeed, that's exactly what I meant to say. It needed to be pointed out in order to prevent future $700 mistakes.

post #1810 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post
 


Gentle, Mimo. He knows. New Rudals must live with Old Rudal's choices. New Rudals will also make much better choices. Aging can be a lovely thing sometimes.

 

Quite right.  It was just his response: "yes but they cost $700", that indicated the need for remedial correction.

post #1811 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post
 

 

Not yet. I'll get it if I still want it a week from now.

 

LR2B: this is a good strategy (+ a bit of knowledge to put you in the right place in the first place).

post #1812 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post



Not yet. I'll get it if I still want it a week from now.



This
post #1813 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleav View Post



Luv, as ever this is just my perspective.

The whole cuts can look sleek, but that is why I like em in a balanced rota. I was only trying to find a balanced staple set to offer as many options possible with as little outlay.

Those suede AE ^, for me no. Reason, they appear to be a sticking plaster buy, which if I remember correctly got you here, in general, in the first place. They do not work on a number of levels.

When the time is right for you to buy shoes buy new, buy the best you can and don't buy compromise.

 

 

I have a bead on some that are brand new. However if they are wrong for other reasons as well, then no problem. Also, you are right to stay my hand as I often have a kopping problem that led to this mess. If it's not too much trouble could you point out some of the specifics of what is bad about them so that I can train my eye?

post #1814 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post

RLBL shoes are not made by C&J and so I was rightfully kicked out of their thread when I posted pictures of the shoes. I think Gitton(?) or some Italian makes them. Anyone heard of them?

well, that is not entirely true. C&J makes the marlows/darltons and those are regular polo brand, so i guess RLBL?

anyways, i fell way too far behind to be useful here now, i hope to be better and back on my game next week.
post #1815 of 37497
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


well, that is not entirely true. C&J makes the marlows/darltons and those are regular polo brand, so i guess RLBL?

anyways, i fell way too far behind to be useful here now, i hope to be better and back on my game next week.

 

We miss you, stitchy! I look forward to any advice you may provide in the future.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)