or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1189

post #17821 of 37396
Okay guys - time to dissect my shoe collection. This is what I have so far. I currently have six pairs of shoes also on MTO which won't arrive for a while. I figured I ought to cull the ones I already have based on your advice for good taste.

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me which shoes are for suits, which are for blazers/sports coats, and which ones I ought to throw away. Can you also tell me how I might pair the more difficult boots and multiple-colored shoes (unless you are saying to ditch them of course).

In a couple of cases I have duplicate styles and similar colors from different brands - Alden and Allen Edmonds for example. Would you suggest I get rid of one pair and keep the other - if so what criteria should I use to determine which ones to keep? Presume the fit of everything is perfect.








post #17822 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

It's a staple for formal CBD. Most thorough wardrobes should have at least one of these. Best worn with a navy suit, white shirt, and black shoes. A silver grenadine fills the same function in my wardrobe as that probably does with yours.


This. Thats a great tie to have, mac, and the Hober family is awesome. truly great people to do business with. Enjoy it.
post #17823 of 37396
Jfrat, I think 10 11 12 16 18 19 and 20 are pretty bad, the rest I range from ambivalent to/not my style to very nice indeed.
post #17824 of 37396

That's a serious collection of shoes, jfrater.  Curious to see what people suggest in terms of pairings. 

post #17825 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

I think you meant to say me gusta, Murl. Mi gusta suggests you have inexplicably strong feelings for me.

Yes and yes....
post #17826 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Jfrat, I think 10 11 12 16 18 19 and 20 are pretty bad, the rest I range from ambivalent to/not my style to very nice indeed.

May I ask what you dislike about 10 11 and 12? That will help me with future purchases. The others I agree are not great.
post #17827 of 37396
10 is too square and 12 too pointy.

11 looks too pointy but might be ok from a different angle.

Hope that helps.
post #17828 of 37396
Jfrat - Oxfords with suits. Monks with suits sometimes and odd jacket and trousers other times. Derbys and loafers with odd jacket and trousers.
post #17829 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

Jfrat - Oxfords with suits. Monks with suits sometimes and odd jacket and trousers other times. Derbys and loafers with odd jacket and trousers.

So never oxfords with sports coats?
post #17830 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrater View Post

So never oxfords with sports coats?

I'm not a stickler for that general rule for people with small shoe wardrobes, but you have enough shoes that I really cannot imagine a reason to break it. If you must, heavily brogued oxfords (especially if suede) could work, but save the stitch cap / punch cap / austerity brogues for something more formal.
post #17831 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

I'm not a stickler for that general rule for people with small shoe wardrobes, but you have enough shoes that I really cannot imagine a reason to break it. If you must, heavily brogued oxfords (especially if suede) could work, but save the stitch cap / punch cap / austerity brogues for something more formal.

Edited to say that I am confused about the difference between oxfords and derby's - I'll research it and reply again smile.gif
post #17832 of 37396

@jfrater , here my 2 cents (which is incidentally a lot less than your shoe collection must have cost)....

In general most of them are ranging from acceptable to very nice. A few pairs stand out less favourably to my eyes:

12 - too pointy & don't like the novelty styling here (i'm not against some novel stylistic cues per se, if done tastefully. E.g. I like #16)

18, 19, 20 - just plain ugly, I'm sorry to say.

21 - the colours look a bit cheap to me. It's hard to get spectators right, IMO. or any two-tone shoe for that matter.

23 & 24 - don't like the styling, it's neither here nor there.

27 - again, novelty styling gone wrong.

 

Disclaimer: this is all personal and highly subjective opinion only, since I am not as dogmatic knowledgable as Archie ;) 

post #17833 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

@jfrater
, here my 2 cents (which is incidentally a lot less than your shoe collection must have cost)....
In general most of them are ranging from acceptable to very nice. A few pairs stand out less favourably to my eyes:
12 - too pointy & don't like the novelty styling here (i'm not against some novel stylistic cues per se, if done tastefully. E.g. I like #16)
18, 19, 20 - just plain ugly, I'm sorry to say.
21 - the colours look a bit cheap to me. It's hard to get spectators right, IMO. or any two-tone shoe for that matter.
23 & 24 - don't like the styling, it's neither here nor there.
27 - again, novelty styling gone wrong.

Disclaimer: this is all personal and highly subjective opinion only, since I am not as dogmatic knowledgable as Archie wink.gif  

All very good points I think - having expunged the ones you have all said you dislike has made me realize I need to get shoe shopping!
post #17834 of 37396

The look is good. I love the jacket fabric.

 

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfrater View Post

I'm just posting this here because I don't have full length and I want an opinion on the ensemble.




Jacket is Brioni and pocket square is Liberty - everything else is thrift or old.
post #17835 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrater View Post


All very good points I think - having expunged the ones you have all said you dislike has made me realize I need to get shoe shopping!

Wrong. You have just about all bases covered already.

 

Expunge the bad ones, change the shoelaces on 26 and then work with what you have.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)