Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 1:36 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1116post #16726 of 374971/1/15 at 10:35ampost #16727 of 374971/1/15 at 10:47am
The square is actually navy with hints of dark purple, charcoal, and olive in the paisey.
Why is that tie color not useful? I was thinking it could go well with a brown/charcoal jacket. Just wondering generally about ties for that color.
I'll probably go by the shop some time, I'll see if I can swap it for a different one, since it was multibuy discount, but it might be tough since the selection is mostly filled with awful ties.post #16728 of 374971/1/15 at 10:50ampost #16729 of 374971/1/15 at 11:07ampost #16730 of 374971/1/15 at 11:11ampost #16731 of 374971/1/15 at 11:23ampost #16732 of 374971/1/15 at 11:24am
Well fwiw it only costs 20 extra because of the discount, I kinda think they are good in some scenarios and I don't have similar.
Anyway someone asked me for photos of an overcoat so I thought I'd crosspost here for comments, including pictures of my flannel DB:Quote:
Here are some photos of the Simpson Sin coat along with some of my recent commission with Dream of a DB using Fox Flannel:
Note I had just received them from Hong Kong so there's quite a bit of wrinkling, some of which is captured on photo. Also as some might know I have a massive drop on my right shoulder. The tailor chose to not compensate with padding. I think it's done fine. You can see from the photos where I am not standing straight it's pretty natural looking and unnoticable, which is what I wanted.
Pictures (Click to show)
Personally I think the DB suit is really nice. I am sure some people will find the suppression a bit much, but I'm fine with it (it probably looks a bit more wrinkled in the photos because I didn't put it on properly). I any case the material feels excellent.
The SS overcaot I think has way too much padding and the sleeves especially the upper part seems to be too roomy. Should I have both fixed? It wouldn't be an expensive alteration would it? If I have the chance I might bring it back to HK to have SS fix it but I won't be going back for a long time I think.post #16733 of 374971/1/15 at 11:50amThread StarterThe question isn't "do I like the way X looks?" The question needs to be "will I like the way X looks when worn? Will others, unbiased, like the way X looks when worn?" That gray tie is nice. No question there. But it is only nice in isolation. It is so light that it will only really work against a white shirt. And the contrast between the shirt and tie will be too little, and that between the shirt and jacket too great, that it won't look good. Ideally, you don't want a giant difference between the degree of the two contrasts. But you're going to get it with that tie.post #16734 of 374971/1/15 at 11:58amThose are good points. Do you not think it'd work with a white/off-white/lightcream shirt and a solid chocolate SC? That's something I have in hopsacck and linen and how I imagined wearing it. I also thought it might work with my charcoal gunclub. Those seems to contrast with the tie while still working with a light shirt.post #16735 of 374971/1/15 at 12:06pmpost #16736 of 374971/1/15 at 12:19pm1. It will look great with a white (or light blue) shirt and mid-gray suit.
2. It will look great under a sweater worn over heavy chinos, moleskins, or flannels.
3. I get the point that in this thread something needs to be universally versatile to not confuse those that need the most help. With that framework, I agree, it isn't the best tie.post #16737 of 374971/1/15 at 12:39pmpost #16738 of 374971/1/15 at 12:49pmpost #16739 of 374971/1/15 at 12:52pm
It's worse than last time:
In my defense I had a hairdresser's appointment on new year's eve but they had to cancel.
Speaking of which, I think the way the clothes were packed has ruined some of the shaping of the suit, especially the lapel roll =[ what to do? Try with iron?post #16740 of 374971/1/15 at 12:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by Claghorn
The question isn't "do I like the way X looks?" The question needs to be "will I like the way X looks when worn? Will others, unbiased, like the way X looks when worn?" That gray tie is nice. No question there. But it is only nice in isolation. It is so light that it will only really work against a white shirt. And the contrast between the shirt and tie will be too little, and that between the shirt and jacket too great, that it won't look good. Ideally, you don't want a giant difference between the degree of the two contrasts. But you're going to get it with that tie.
While I think this is a well-made case, I'm especially fond of a white or off white shirt, a very light-colored repp tie, and a navy blazer. I also think a light-colored, low-contrast shirt and tie can look good under a dark suit. especially a DB or three-piece.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 11 seconds ago
- › Truman Boots 1 minute ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 2 minutes ago
- › Luxire Custom Clothing - Official Affiliate Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Boots Boots Boots - For Boot Guys Only 3 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget – Carmina, John Lobb, Enzo Bonafè, Carlos Santos,... 4 minutes ago
- › Mod to Suedehead 4 minutes ago
- › Things That Are Bothering You, Got You All Hibbeldy-Jibbeldy, or... 5 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2017- News, Pictures, Clothing,... 6 minutes ago
- › Best 80's Sci-Fi Films 8 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...