Less about moleskin being dressy and more of it having a more substantial character.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 11:50 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1098post #16456 of 3749712/20/14 at 7:43pmpost #16457 of 3749712/20/14 at 7:49pmpost #16458 of 3749712/20/14 at 8:02pmpost #16459 of 3749712/20/14 at 8:08pmpost #16460 of 3749712/20/14 at 8:19pmQuote:
Unmmm since when are moleskins and cords not cotton?
Khaki twills look good with tweed too. Also navy Blazers. That's the California tuxpost #16461 of 3749712/20/14 at 8:26pmpost #16462 of 3749712/20/14 at 8:41pmQuote:Originally Posted by jrd617Quote:
Unmmm since when are moleskins and cords not cotton?
Khaki twills look good with tweed too. Also navy Blazers. That's the California tux
Since when do you not read the complete post? You're arguing a concession I already made.post #16463 of 3749712/20/14 at 8:54pmQuote:
Pantherella from Sierra Trading Post. Very good deals if you sign up for their e-coupons. Also good socks come through B&S here fairly often.post #16464 of 3749712/20/14 at 9:04pmpost #16465 of 3749712/20/14 at 10:00pmThread Starterpost #16466 of 3749712/21/14 at 1:02ampost #16467 of 3749712/21/14 at 3:34amQuote:Originally Posted by TweedyProf
So I think I'm giving up largely on cotton casual pants except for denim.
Tweedy wool in the fall/winter, big cuffs with chunky boots or chukkas, and slouchy linen in the summer. I might tolerate some cotton in the spring, or better some wool/linen mixes, light weight. I have a pair in the latter which stays crisp, but has appropriate texture.
Cotton just can't seem to hold its shape, stretching etc. especially at the seat and at the knees. I'm not finding this so much of a problem with linen, which wrinkles in a way that makes me not care and should be worn a little baggier to help heat dissipate.
I posted a while back about entirely cycling out chinos, but I do think cords have a place that's kind of unique. Moleskin too.
Cavalry twill is wool right? I think them, flannels, and linen make chinos obsolete. Chinos are versatile and easy/cheap though, but I think they are generally subpar.post #16468 of 3749712/21/14 at 4:05am
I wear cotton trousers and wool jackets all the time. Especially with the military crease, the formality mix works quite well. The main reason I wear cotton trousers is because they're cheap. Luxire cords or canvas trousers go for $80-90. They're great for when it's raining or the streets are dirty, which happens quite often here in autumn.
I have some chinos as well for when I'm travelling, usually in darker colours, so you don't see stains on them. They're perfect for locations where you're likely to get dirty, but still want to look somewhat respectable. Unfortunately, I haven't traveled since my time in NYC this summer, but I have 30 business days plus some bank holidays saved up for next year, so I'm planning to change that.
This is how I dressed when we were travelling around Morocco during the beginning of this year. Temperatures fluctuated between 10 and 20 degrees, so I mostly wore navy chinos, a cotton jacket and either a cashmere polos or linen shirts depending on the temperature. Yeah, the chinos got dirty, but they only cost me $30, and a couple of washes removed most stains, so that's ok. Excuse the extremely touristy obligatory camel in the desert picture. And yes, I'm wearing dainite soled tassel loafers, perhaps the most comfortable travel shoe ever.Cotton Wool: (Click to show)
Edited by Monkeyface - 12/21/14 at 4:55ampost #16469 of 3749712/21/14 at 5:22ampost #16470 of 3749712/21/14 at 5:37am
Thanks gents...good strategies etc. Helps me think about things.
On the more theoretical question about wool SC and cotton trousers working etc., posted the question in the Lounge thread which seemed a little more appropriate.
Murl...did you get those Drake's squares? You won't regret it, I think. PS are sort of like heroin (I would imagine) though maybe not as destructive. I would have thought 20 squares more than enough (Claghorn) but who knows...
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 6 minutes ago
- › Suitsupply NYC 13 minutes ago
- › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice 18 minutes ago
- › Hackett mayfair light grey wool blazer new 22 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 24 minutes ago
- › J FitzPatrick Appreciation Thread 24 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 25 minutes ago
- › Unfunded Liabilities: a/k/a The Cloth Thread 45 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 48 minutes ago
- › LOAKE APPRECIATION & SHOE P0RN THREAD 50 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...