or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1069

post #16021 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira View Post

Can you inform me on what determines good or poor horizontal twill? I don't see any threads on that.

I'm not sure if there is a good horizontal twill, but the rows are far too thick in that one that you pictured, that is the main problem with it.
post #16022 of 37392
kira, the problem IMO starts with the shirts you've selected. Both are too saturated, and the peach/pink is just not very versatile.
post #16023 of 37392
Agree with SB. Picking out ties to go with a shirt versus ties that look good in general is a mistake.
post #16024 of 37392
Why not start with a few plain grenadine and knit basics? Navy, dark brown, silver / grey, burgundy, black (knit or grenadine) etc?
post #16025 of 37392

navy reppe silk...the one tie everyone should own.

post #16026 of 37392

While I do think you’re being very smart in selecting ties on the basis of how well you think they would work with other items in your wardrobe (a lesson it takes everyone some time to learn), I wonder if you might not be better off thinking more about how well they would work with your suits and jackets (and the contexts in which you typically wear these, of course) and less about how well they would work with a a couple of shirts. 

 

Just being cold-bloodedly practical.  :)

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #16027 of 37392
Anyone familiar with Billy Reid stuff?
Edited by The Noodles - 12/15/14 at 5:36am
post #16028 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

kira, the problem IMO starts with the shirts you've selected. Both are too saturated, and the peach/pink is just not very versatile.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

Agree with SB. Picking out ties to go with a shirt versus ties that look good in general is a mistake.

 

Interesting and reasonable opinions. I did not consider the whole look, but rather from two pieces.

EDIT: When I order more shirts, I'll be sure to not do this again. There's always room for improvement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD83 View Post

Why not start with a few plain grenadine and knit basics? Navy, dark brown, silver / grey, burgundy, black (knit or grenadine) etc?

 

Ha! I barely saw any of those solid colors! I'm on the lookout for them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCK1 View Post
 

navy reppe silk...the one tie everyone should own.

 

+1

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

While I do think you’re being very smart in selecting ties on the basis of how well you think they would work with other items in your wardrobe (a lesson it takes everyone some time to learn), I wonder if you might not be better off thinking more about how well they would work with your suits and jackets (and the contexts in which you typically wear these, of course) and less about how well they would work with a a couple of shirts. 

 

Just being cold-bloodedly practical.  :)

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

+1

 

 

 

Thanks for the honest opinions, gentlemen. I'll be sure to consider these responses and search other threads while I look around for more ties!


Edited by Kira - 12/13/14 at 8:03pm
post #16029 of 37392
Thread Starter 
Kira, I think you misunderstood the homework assignment ^^

Ten ties you'd like to own. This meant for each tie, you'd still own the other nine. I'm sure that you wouldn't want 10 navy ties.

The variety helps us understand your tastes (consistent preferences across different ties); it also makes for a more edifying exercise.
post #16030 of 37392
Noodles, Billy Reid is decent stuff...typical Nordstrom type quality level. Alpaca is a cool fabric. The sweater fits you really well.
post #16031 of 37392
Thx murl.
I am quite surprised at its price given its quality. It's good. Wife gave me this as my birthday present. Now if I can get her to buy me the P.o.W suit...
post #16032 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

Thx murl.
I am quite surprised at its price given its quality. It's good. Wife gave me this as my birthday present. Now if I can get her to buy me the P.o.W suit...

Happy Birfday!
post #16033 of 37392
Thanks, Murl!
post #16034 of 37392

Today was a good dress up day. Work holiday party.

I wore a 3 piece navy suit with a pink shirt and the green with white pindot tie. Looked awesome. Only have a shitty cell phone bathroom mirror pic :/

post #16035 of 37392
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Today was a good dress up day. Work holiday party.


I wore a 3 piece navy suit with a pink shirt and the green with white pindot tie. Looked awesome. Only have a shitty cell phone bathroom mirror pic :/

So post your shitty pic already.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)