or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1053

post #15781 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 

I care less about clothes sometimes, too. Been in a phase of not caring nearly as much, lately. I will say that having a casual wardrobe I feel good about is a lot more useful for me than having a tailored wardrobe I feel good about, if that scans. Gay Talese once wrote something about the importance of having clothes you can wear to the dentist -- or any time when you just don't want to get dressed. Now, for Talese, that was like a Brioni sport coat and an Hermes tie, but I put the same idea in practice with a couple pairs of more casual shoes, ride-or-die jeans, and a selection of sweaters.

 

Also, I mean, isn't the point of scrubs that they're kept clean in the hospital? The closest I come to an operating room is spilling fake blood, so I really don't know.

 

I'm never in the sterile zone so it doesn't really matter.

 

That said, I've started becoming a much bigger fan of the unstructured stuff. 

It's also a question of dollars since I spent a ton of money this pay check on travel expenses for interviews. Priorities and all. I have 6 med school interviews lined up. I should keep track of expenses better, but it's going to be costly. 

post #15782 of 37428
Thread Starter 
My wife has forbidden me from spending any more money on blue jackets.
post #15783 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

My wife has forbidden me from spending any more money on blue jackets.

Did she say anything about other colors?
post #15784 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRR92 View Post
 

I care less about clothes sometimes, too. Been in a phase of not caring nearly as much, lately. I will say that having a casual wardrobe I feel good about is a lot more useful for me than having a tailored wardrobe I feel good about, if that scans.

 

......

 

+1 to this. Even in this extremely niche forum, 99% of the members would probably get much more out of having a strong casual wardrobe. For all but the most extreme hobbyists, this site is just something that you get into until the novelty wears off and you realize that you really don't care in "real life." Once you get past the mid-level knowledge, there's really no practical use. Before today, I hadn't been here in over a year...doesn't seem like anything's changed. I'll see you all again in a year or so, and happy holidays.

post #15785 of 37428

I've bought a bunch of jeans and sweaters recently and have been wearing them instead. My partner seems far more excited about me wearing them than any of my suits and dress shirts/blazers/etc.

post #15786 of 37428

All hobbyist forums have a point of diminishing returns, beyond which people begin to lose interest if they don't sell the products discussed or have a ready supply of disposable funds.  This one is better than most; I think that between WAYWRN and the occasional new information about vendors to add a piece here or there, I'll find a sustainable participation level that will last for a while.  Better than my other interests (pens and kitchen knives), at any rate. 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinnyMac View Post
 

 

+1 to this. Even in this extremely niche forum, 99% of the members would probably get much more out of having a strong casual wardrobe. For all but the most extreme hobbyists, this site is just something that you get into until the novelty wears off and you realize that you really don't care in "real life." Once you get past the mid-level knowledge, there's really no practical use. Before today, I hadn't been here in over a year...doesn't seem like anything's changed. I'll see you all again in a year or so, and happy holidays.

post #15787 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

 

That said, I've started becoming a much bigger fan of the unstructured stuff.

I don't "get" unstructured tailored coats, except for corduroy.

 

But I go in for soft shoulders and roomy chests anyway.

 

EDIT: And Isolation, the thing of mine my partner most likes is a rugby shirt of mine. But she doesn't dress nearly as formally as I do. But at this point (three years tomorrow, in case there was any doubt about how boring I am) she pretty much doesn't mind.

post #15788 of 37428
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Did she say anything about other colors?

Other colors are fine. But she says that I've spent too much money on blue jackets. I'll wait a year and try again. In the mean time, another brown may be in order. Or green.


I have at least as much fun with clothes in real life as I do on here.
post #15789 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by heldentenor View Post

All hobbyist forums have a point of diminishing returns, beyond which people begin to lose interest if they don't sell the products discussed or have a ready supply of disposable funds.  This one is better than most; I think that between WAYWRN and the occasional new information about vendors to add a piece here or there, I'll find a sustainable participation level that will last for a while.  Better than my other interests (pens and kitchen knives), at any rate. 

 

This. In the past I used to frequent a forum that was al about people upgrading their already way too expensive high end racing bikes. Talk about diminishing returns...

post #15790 of 37428

Clags, get on the green jacket train...2014 seems to be the year of green donegal in particular.  I'd love to see your take on the green SC.

post #15791 of 37428
Nah, the thing is the stuff i like isn't quite useful for work. I end up looking super overdressed at times. It'd be different if i was a doctor.

I'm also having fun wearing the stuff i do have, but I've been so stressed lately that i just want to roll to work wearing the easiest possible things.
post #15792 of 37428

Since my last Vanda tie was a bomb, what's the verdict on this Burgundy one?

 

 

Or this guy?

post #15793 of 37428
Not my jam....much mo betta ones from Vanda.
post #15794 of 37428

Gotcha. I seem to have a thing where I like them until I purchase one.

I'm 100% getting the blue cashmere wool dongal.

post #15795 of 37428
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjester View Post

I'm 100% getting the blue cashmere wool dongal.

Good call.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)