Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Yesterday at 11:24 pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1052post #15766 of 3766312/6/14 at 11:56ampost #15767 of 3766312/6/14 at 1:36pmpost #15768 of 3766312/6/14 at 3:13pmQuote:
Yeah. I can't make myself do black trousers, but I do think dark grey works best among the options I've tried. I may try my new pair of cream flannels with it at some point too. We're in the same boat re: wishing we had something more versatile but also getting a lot of compliments on it.post #15769 of 3766312/7/14 at 10:48amQuote:Originally Posted by archibaldleach
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Curious to get some takes on something I've been thinking about for awhile. I have a black and white houndstooth "worsted cashmere" odd jacket with patch pockets. It was one of those things that looked cool but I have since found somewhat difficult to wear with most of my wardrobe. I'm considering just ordering a matching pair of trousers (exact fabric is still available) to turn it into a casual suit. I'm not really sure if I'm throwing good money after bad here.
- The fabric does not feel like a fabric that would make a particularly sturdy pair of trousers. I'd probably get the trousers lined to the knee and only wear the thing 5-6 times a year, so hopefully that would minimize wear issues.
- I guess the drape of the trousers is another concern here.
- If the trousers do wear out, I'd go back to wearing the jacket occasionally with other odd trousers.
- Jacket has been to the dry cleaners once and has no real signs of wear. I'm willing to risk immaterial differences between bolts of the same fabric.
- Opportunity cost of getting this done is roughly one pair of Minnis flannel trousers from Luxire, which would likely get more use.
- At some point I plan to get a black/white flannel POW or small houndstooth suit (most likely POW) to wear as a casual suit.
Mandela says you should let it go. Don't throw good money after badpost #15770 of 3766312/7/14 at 12:23pmpost #15771 of 3766312/7/14 at 12:24pmpost #15772 of 3766312/7/14 at 12:32pmpost #15773 of 3766312/7/14 at 1:09pmNelson Mandela was indeed a good dresser. I have a saved folder on my computer with several great outfits from him.
N.B. I lived in Botswana (neighboring country to South Africa) the year Mandela was released from Robben Island. People were out singing and dancing in the streets. That overwhelming feeling of general happiness and hope among the people stuck, even though I was only 11 or 12 at the time.post #15774 of 3766312/7/14 at 3:13pmpost #15775 of 3766312/7/14 at 3:15pmpost #15776 of 3766312/7/14 at 3:38pmpost #15777 of 3766312/7/14 at 4:24pmpost #15778 of 3766312/7/14 at 4:28pmpost #15779 of 3766312/7/14 at 5:03pmpost #15780 of 3766312/7/14 at 6:08pmQuote:
I care less about clothes sometimes, too. Been in a phase of not caring nearly as much, lately. I will say that having a casual wardrobe I feel good about is a lot more useful for me than having a tailored wardrobe I feel good about, if that scans. Gay Talese once wrote something about the importance of having clothes you can wear to the dentist -- or any time when you just don't want to get dressed. Now, for Talese, that was like a Brioni sport coat and an Hermes tie, but I put the same idea in practice with a couple pairs of more casual shoes, ride-or-die jeans, and a selection of sweaters.
Also, I mean, isn't the point of scrubs that they're kept clean in the hospital? The closest I come to an operating room is spilling fake blood, so I really don't know.
archibaldleach, I can't help but think, given your restrained tastes, that a suit as bold as that houndstooth wouldn't be in keeping with your overall style, which strikes me as quite reserved.
That said, I do think a houndstooth jacket like that is ill-suited to the shiny silk tie/blue spread collar. Mandela's white shirt/repp tie is much better. I also think it could work with something more complicated than either -- some kind of striped shirt/large paisley tie contrivance, in the tradition of southernstyle or Paul Stuart. Again, that would be bolder than you typically wear.
I also wouldn't see anything wrong with tan trousers.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, ... 1 minute ago
- › Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts? 1 minute ago
- › I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask... 1 minute ago
- › Allen Edmonds x Massdrop Unlined Chukka Boot Review/Info 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Wine Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread 8 minutes ago
- › Silvano Lattanzi x Jil Sander black boots (EU 39.5) 9 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 11 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2017 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice,... 12 minutes ago
- › Engineerd Garments Workaday Plum Stripe Oxford-Size Small 13 minutes ago
- › Men’s The Original 3” Boxerjock® Boxer Briefs... by Alper
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...