or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1004

post #15046 of 37482
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoustas View Post

^
Agreed. Can make a great look especially paired with some more casual items. But you're more limited for usage in that case. Personally I'm more of a T-shirt and jeans type on the weekend confused.gif  

PS Noodles how is the boxing research going? boxing%5B1%5D.gif
Told my wife. She said she wants to learn to so she can box her mother inlaw.
post #15047 of 37482
@Coxsackie, I do think houndstooth in brown works better than black and white, but still think it would look better with a larger scale pattern. For the second jacket, once we add a third color we are getting closer to a gun check and further from the two color houndstooth patterns that tend to be better as suits.
post #15048 of 37482

Thanks, guys, very helpful.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post
 

What SB said.

 

1. If that is a 40R probably a 42L would be in that make, but if you can take a chest measurement with a tailor's measuring tape at the chest, that would help. Shoulders look ok, but could be a little cleaner. Chest is too small for you.

 

2. On length of SC, for sure a couple of inches lower on the hem. I'm guessing right at the tip of your thumb.

 

3. Agree on the chinos, but if you are going to go for a dress chino look, then get those pants hemmed and cuffed so that they just skirt the top of your shoe or just a touch lower than that. They are too long.

 

4. Please find lapels that are about an inch wider, minimum. Double vents look much nicer. 

 

5. I wouldn't start buying lots of coats right now since you don't need to for your work. Try things on, get a feel for how they look. Buying before you know really just means more mistakes and cost.

 

6. You might just pop into a brooks brothers store if you have one nearby. They will have lots of styles, more classic some more fashion forward, and perhaps a helpful salesperson who won't mind taking a few pics for you to mull over (but really to post here!). Try navy first in good light.

 

7. Avoid gray SCs in your first 5 SCs, maybe 10 SCs, maybe never.

 

1. Will check out a few places and get measured.  Measured myself at a 41, but not sure I trust the accuracy.

 

2. Got it, will look for that length.

 

3. These chinos don't fit my waist well anyway, so sounds like they should go.

 

4. Definitely, thanks. Not buying anymore J.Crew/BR at this point.

 

5. Need them? No. Enjoy wearing them? Yes. They make functional sense anyway with the mild weather where I live.  Will stick to the basics, though.

 

6. Will go in again.  I forget the cut I tried before, but was very uncomfortable with the arm hole height, looked like Frankenstein's monster when I reached up.  Do you think phone shots are good enough?

 

7. OK. I have a couple blue, one brown, but I fear they exhibit that same issues above.

post #15049 of 37482
@TweedyProf

I wouldn't recommend Brooks Brothers to JIMB. I was in a store recently, and the sales associate could not find me a single sportcoat that didn't run short by SF standards. He said the entire range is now on the short side. He also said they don't stock many L's.

As for the grey SC's, I think a grey and black herringbone tweed is an excellent staple. That one should definitely be top 5. Unfortunately, the OP's J Crew jacket is ill fitting and ill proportioned



Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post

What SB said.

6. You might just pop into a brooks brothers store if you have one nearby. They will have lots of styles, more classic some more fashion forward, and perhaps a helpful salesperson who won't mind taking a few pics for you to mull over (but really to post here!). Try navy first in good light.

7. Avoid gray SCs in your first 5 SCs, maybe 10 SCs, maybe never.
post #15050 of 37482
@JIMB in addition to what they've all said, I'd recommend you stay away from the current fad of soft shoulders and go for more traditional makers with built up shoulders like Southwick, Hickey Freeman, Canali (the ones they sell in US stores and not the Kei line) etc. Your shoulders are very narrow compared to your hips and thighs so you need a jacket that will add some bulk up top. It's not going to look as fluid when you are moving around but it will give you the visual balance that is more needed in this case.
post #15051 of 37482

@JIMB I would add Corneliani (at least many of the Sartoria models) to kulata's list of jackets that have more structured shoulders and might work well for you. 

post #15052 of 37482
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

@TweedyProf

I wouldn't recommend Brooks Brothers to JIMB. I was in a store recently, and the sales associate could not find me a single sportcoat that didn't run short by SF standards. He said the entire range is now on the short side. He also said they don't stock many L's.

As for the grey SC's, I think a grey and black herringbone tweed is an excellent staple. That one should definitely be top 5. Unfortunately, the OP's J Crew jacket is ill fitting and ill proportioned


Fair enough. I guess if the OP's market has a Nordstrom's nearby, he could try Canali. Do they sell Hickey Freeman? Kulata's suggestion seems to be worth trying.

 

Agree on grey/black herringbone. YMMV on Gray. I'd opt for gray/blue herringbone myself (so more slate). But combinations can be taken care of after the more important fit issue.

post #15053 of 37482
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMB View Post
 

 

1. Will check out a few places and get measured.  Measured myself at a 41, but not sure I trust the accuracy.

 

2. Got it, will look for that length.

 

3. These chinos don't fit my waist well anyway, so sounds like they should go.

 

4. Definitely, thanks. Not buying anymore J.Crew/BR at this point.

 

5. Need them? No. Enjoy wearing them? Yes. They make functional sense anyway with the mild weather where I live.  Will stick to the basics, though.

 

6. Will go in again.  I forget the cut I tried before, but was very uncomfortable with the arm hole height, looked like Frankenstein's monster when I reached up.  Do you think phone shots are good enough?

 

7. OK. I have a couple blue, one brown, but I fear they exhibit that same issues above.


I saw you posted a picture of a lighter colored jacket in Claghorn's thread. Can you retake a pic of that jacket and post here? A quick glance suggested that it fit much better. If we point out where it fits well, that might help you see it more clearly too.

post #15054 of 37482

So I had these cuffs done at Mr. Field. I don't think it is worth the hassle to go back to him to simply get 2" cuffs. Anyone see the downside of just taking it to a local tailor who has done good work twice for me. Isn't this a simple task?

post #15055 of 37482
Should be pretty simple as long as there's enough material left in there to make the bigger cuff.
post #15056 of 37482

Yea, go local.

 

Speaking of Field, finally bringing a jacket in this Sat that I picked up back in Feb 

post #15057 of 37482
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Should be pretty simple as long as there's enough material left in there to make the bigger cuff.

 

Well, he should make them a bit shorter IMO, so there should be enough material left.

post #15058 of 37482
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Should be pretty simple as long as there's enough material left in there to make the bigger cuff.

This.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

Well, he should make them a bit shorter IMO, so there should be enough material left.

Assuming that the pants look that way when he is standing straight, I would agree with this as well.
post #15059 of 37482
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post


Assuming that the pants look that way when he is standing straight, I would agree with this as well.

^Important.

Something funky with the way Noodles suit pants hangs at the back. Also saw that when he wore his Formosa..
post #15060 of 37482
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post


^Important.

Something funky with the way Noodles suit pants hangs at the back. Also saw that when he wore his Formosa..

Sigh...this is probably due to balance issue. I have no ass where there needs to be ass so the pants are not dropping cleanly. Am I right?

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)