or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 1003

post #15031 of 37405
What is going on? Im lost.
post #15032 of 37405

ellsbebc bought all the NSM bespoke/Panta RTW sportcoat samples we were/are coveting

post #15033 of 37405

The red gun club and 40R plaid sample are still available: http://www.styleforum.net/t/438970/2-bespoke-sportcoats-and-2-nwt-rtw-sportcoats/0_50

 

I never even wear SCs but too good a deal to pass up.  Will keep you guys in mind if they do not work out for me.

post #15034 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGoCrimson View Post

ellsbebc bought all the NSM bespoke/Panta RTW sportcoat samples we were/are coveting

Great job, ell!!

Thanks for clarifying that, Mo.
post #15035 of 37405

Did someone say "houndstooth"?

 

 

Pal Zileri Sartoriale

 

 

Vintage bespoke

 

I don't have a problem with houndstooth as an odd jacket - I think these are both rather nice.

post #15036 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedyProf View Post
 

On another note: I understand its a collectors item, I guess, but WTF?

 

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=141460669011&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-levis-501-BIG-e-Double-XX-/141460669011

 

Those are rare as fak. 60+year old jeans in that great condition? It's classic americana.

I bet a japanese enthusiast will win it. 

post #15037 of 37405
Not just great condition, but never worn. Still crazy to me. The $24 million Patek supercomplication that just sold makes more sense to me.
post #15038 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

Not just great condition, but never worn. Still crazy to me. The $24 million Patek supercomplication that just sold makes more sense to me.

Yeah, I saw that one and I just couldn't resist. Had to kop it...
post #15039 of 37405
That's insane.
post #15040 of 37405
Its appropriate.
post #15041 of 37405
You just watch crazy, do.
post #15042 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post
 

To be serious for a second, I think this thread is dying, if not dead already. The initial spike in activity was to set me straight. Now that I am somewhat headed in the right direction, I think we are just going around in circles. Unless we have another "Noodles" who would benefit from advice from senior members, this thread has no purpose for its existence. We're now in "goof around" mode here. 

 

You rang?

 

Not sure I can match the original, but I'd love some ongoing advice on getting my wardrobe in order.  My plan is to post some pictures each week and get opinions on options:

  • sell it now! buy this instead.
  • keep it but modify/upgrade soon
  • it's a keeper
Context (Click to show)

I work in a very casual environment: most people are in t-shirts and shorts or jeans.  Anything beyond jeans and a button up is considered "dressed up."  I've seen 1 person with a tie out of a ~800 person office. I was in this casual category till last year when, for a variety of reasons, I decided to start dressing like a grown up.  While I definitely appreciate the CM style over SW, I will probably be dressing on the far casual side of this thread.  Over the last year, I've purchased things second hand or on deep discount to slowly ramp up my dress and gain experience with what I like.  But it's come to my attention that many of these things don't fit well (thanks @Claghorn et al.), thus I have come to humbly seek your input :)

 

I believe I am a 40R, 33/32, though often my thighs and seat will only fit a 34.  I've had a tough time getting shirts since my neck (16.5) is usually too large for the shirts that fit in the body, though luckily I rarely need to button the top for a tie.  Most stuff is from Jcrew/BR, so it would help to say "that is 2 inches too short" so I can know what kind of measurements to look for on classifieds/ebay.

First Round: grey tweed with olive brown chinos (Click to show)

 

 

 

 

 

Whew, just taking these pictures is helpful to see some issues on my own.  All good natured advice appreciated, though I'm focused on fit right now.

post #15043 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

You just watch crazy, do.

Correct!
post #15044 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMB View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Noodles View Post

 
To be serious for a second, I think this thread is dying, if not dead already. The initial spike in activity was to set me straight. Now that I am somewhat headed in the right direction, I think we are just going around in circles. Unless we have another "Noodles" who would benefit from advice from senior members, this thread has no purpose for its existence. We're now in "goof around" mode here. 

You rang?

Not sure I can match the original, but I'd love some ongoing advice on getting my wardrobe in order.  My plan is to post some pictures each week and get opinions on options:
  • sell it now! buy this instead.
  • keep it but modify/upgrade soon
  • it's a keeper
Context (Click to show)
I work in a very casual environment: most people are in t-shirts and shorts or jeans.  Anything beyond jeans and a button up is considered "dressed up."  I've seen 1 person with a tie out of a ~800 person office. I was in this casual category till last year when, for a variety of reasons, I decided to start dressing like a grown up.  While I definitely appreciate the CM style over SW, I will probably be dressing on the far casual side of this thread.  Over the last year, I've purchased things second hand or on deep discount to slowly ramp up my dress and gain experience with what I like.  But it's come to my attention that many of these things don't fit well (thanks @Claghorn
 et al.), thus I have come to humbly seek your input smile.gif



I believe I am a 40R, 33/32, though often my thighs and seat will only fit a 34.  I've had a tough time getting shirts since my neck (16.5) is usually too large for the shirts that fit in the body, though luckily I rarely need to button the top for a tie.  Most stuff is from Jcrew/BR, so it would help to say "that is 2 inches too short" so I can know what kind of measurements to look for on classifieds/ebay.
First Round: grey tweed with olive brown chinos (Click to show)










Whew, just taking these pictures is helpful to see some issues on my own.  All good natured advice appreciated, though I'm focused on fit right now.

You probably see it, but just in case: Jacket is too short and too small (that's why the vent is open, the lapels are bowing outward, and there's pulling at the button). The pants are baggy and unflattering. Chinos kinda generally suck IMO, but they can definitely be better than this.
post #15045 of 37405

What SB said.

 

1. If that is a 40R probably a 42L would be in that make, but if you can take a chest measurement with a tailor's measuring tape at the chest, that would help. Shoulders look ok, but could be a little cleaner. Chest is too small for you.

 

2. On length of SC, for sure a couple of inches lower on the hem. I'm guessing right at the tip of your thumb.

 

3. Agree on the chinos, but if you are going to go for a dress chino look, then get those pants hemmed and cuffed so that they just skirt the top of your shoe or just a touch lower than that. They are too long.

 

4. Please find lapels that are about an inch wider, minimum. Double vents look much nicer. 

 

5. I wouldn't start buying lots of coats right now since you don't need to for your work. Try things on, get a feel for how they look. Buying before you know really just means more mistakes and cost.

 

6. You might just pop into a brooks brothers store if you have one nearby. They will have lots of styles, more classic some more fashion forward, and perhaps a helpful salesperson who won't mind taking a few pics for you to mull over (but really to post here!). Try navy first in good light.

 

7. Avoid gray SCs in your first 5 SCs, maybe 10 SCs, maybe never.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)