Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 9:12 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 945post #14162 of 3740310/24/14 at 5:13am@jrd617
Is the grey flannel Formosa worsted?
I ordered 2 Hober ties in midnight blue!
Asked wife her opinion: navy birdseye vs grey flannel. She was very annoyed and was like here we go again. But she said that the navy birdseye looks too similar to the blue glenplaid and the grey flannel looks better. She said it had a slight navy hue to which I responded by saying she's crazy.post #14163 of 3740310/24/14 at 5:20am
BUY THEM BOTH.
they are both staple items.
don't do it behind your wife's back. put your damn foot down and make some sort of agreement/communication with her.
sell it to her that if you get the items that you truly need then going forward in the future you won't need to spend. you are INVESTING in a wardrobe.
and no more of this silly bs flip-flopping your mind and buying things you don't want/need then selling them.post #14164 of 3740310/24/14 at 5:28amNot sure what kind of flannel that formosa is noodles. Site says its drapers 11.5 ox (lady san Felice book)
The herringbone from the more recent season is a fox bros woolen. 14 oz
Either way. Stop pussying around and send the funds to murl. You need another suit.post #14165 of 3740310/24/14 at 5:35ampost #14166 of 3740310/24/14 at 5:40amNope, but I'll ask her opinion if we're out shopping together. I might not always agree, but I do ask. Nothing wrong with disagreeing over trivial matters like clothing. We both have our own styles, and that's cool. I might decide not to buy something if she truly hates it though, but that is a very rare occurrence.
Noodles, perhaps she's a bit miffed because she feels clothing is getting too important for you? It's a fun and hobby and all, and it's nice to talk about it, but it shouldn't control your life. I suppose just not being on your phone around her should help lots.post #14167 of 3740310/24/14 at 5:42amQuote:Originally Posted by The Noodles
Asked wife her opinion: navy birdseye vs grey flannel. She was very annoyed and was like here we go again. But
she said that the navy birdseye looks too similar to the blue glenplaid and the grey flannel looks better.
She said it had a slight navy hue to which I responded by saying she's crazy.
Mrs Doodals, our undercover secret agentpost #14168 of 3740310/24/14 at 5:48ampost #14169 of 3740310/24/14 at 5:49amIn all seriousness, Noodles, kop this suit/suits, and then take a kopping break, like a month. No new items appearing at the house or sneaking in a package delivered to the office.
SF at work to your hearts delight, assuming you dont get in trouble for that, but at home, minimal. Speak to the wife, agree on a set amount of time, maybe an hour total, and do not exceed it.
Its very overwhelming for the wife of a new SF addict. Dial it back. Dont go cold turkey, that does not work and its not fair to you, you just need to find the happy medium. If you can do that, I assure you that you will find the wife far less annoyed with these things.post #14170 of 3740310/24/14 at 6:24am
You'll also find that in waiting and buying quality items you'll derive far more satisfaction than continually stocking on so-so products. I know I discovered that after a few months of overspending. Waiting for one Formosa (and wearing it) is going to be way better than going to SS every other month. The Grey (should you choose it) will offer you countless combinations and is an awesome pallet to work with. You'll feel like a champ, instead of "getting by", and that's what quality suiting is all about.
I took my SO to the tailor for my final fitting and she was blown away that men are lucky enough to get all this custom stuff and attention. Unfortunately she's an enabler now and is working with the tailor on my next commission.post #14171 of 3740310/24/14 at 6:35ampost #14172 of 3740310/24/14 at 7:10ampost #14173 of 3740310/24/14 at 7:41amThread StarterI run my purchases past my SO. Why wouldn't I? If she likes something, no problem. If she doesn't, we'll talk about it. Sometimes she'll convince me not to purchase it; other times she doesn't and I purchase anyway with her walking away muttering something about hating suspenders.
I'd never purchase something without telling her I'm purchasing it. That sounds like a terrible idea. I'd be pretty upset if she spent a couple hundred dollars on shoes without having a budgetary discussion about it first.post #14174 of 3740310/24/14 at 7:57am
As I posted earlier I’m embarking on a new career where I’ll be wearing suits 5 days a week. I’m looking at methodically replacing what I currently have as I grow in knowledge. I’ve mapped out a budget and an overall plan. Thanks to those that gave input on that!
It’s looking like 5 ties for this year. These will be my first ever quality ties. I’ve got a mixture of grey and navy suits (mostly grey and all of which I would like to gradually replace)
I was thinking about these from Sam Hober for the first 5
Would this be a decent start to my collection? Anything else you would put in the 1st five purchase? I started with Sam Hober as they seem to get a lot of love on here especially for the price point.
Also I would love to get some input on tie width. How would you go about determining the tie width to order. I am leaning towards 3.25” as I don’t have broad shoulders. I’m 5’8 and around 165lbs and am about a 38” chest.post #14175 of 3740310/24/14 at 8:06amThread Starter
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Vintage Dress shoe appreciation, tips, maintenance and advice 1 minute ago
- › The What Are You Wearing Today (WAYWT) Discussion Thread, Part II 1 minute ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 2 minutes ago
- › The Apple Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 2 minutes ago
- › Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope) 3 minutes ago
- › Need help selecting a belt 3 minutes ago
- › Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II 4 minutes ago
- › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice,... 6 minutes ago
- › OFFICIAL President Trump Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...