or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 942

post #14116 of 37417
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

@The Noodles

Nothing wrong with patch pockets or besom/jetted pockets...

Nothing wrong with flannel either. And the weather is getting cold! Perfect time to be getting it

Stop being a pussy and buy that suit from @Murlsquirl smile.gif

He is.
post #14117 of 37417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post

He is.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #14118 of 37417
@Mr. Six

This is partially true. But you have some technical phrases confused.

Worsted is a type of wool thread. Woolen is another type.

There are both worsted and woolen flannels. Worsted flannels will actually last longer than woolen flannels. I only knew this distinction a few months ago: http://putthison.com/post/23674835650/worsted-vs-woolen-flannels-i-love-wool-flannel

Also, there are many tightly woven non-flannel worsted sutings. (Often plain weave or twill) These will last longer than any flannel (worsted or woolen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post

Flannel will wear out slightly faster than worsted, but since you're going to build out your suit wardrobe, the issue isn't relevant.

Edited by jrd617 - 10/23/14 at 6:00pm
post #14119 of 37417

^ I was shorthanding. On the assumption that the flannel used in the suit is a woolen, I focused on what seemed like the important distinction: woolen flannel v. worsted wool suiting. I don't disagree with you at all and appreciate you expanding on the issue for the benefit of the thread!

post #14120 of 37417
Thread Starter 
My MO from now on for B&T is to get one every trip. I'll send the fabric ahead, show up at the beginning of my trip for a basted fitting. Pop in before going for a forward fitting. Have them ship it when they are done.
post #14121 of 37417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

My MO from now on for B&T is to get one every trip. I'll send the fabric ahead, show up at the beginning of my trip for a basted fitting. Pop in before going for a forward fitting. Have them ship it when they are done.

Any Despos to mix things up?
post #14122 of 37417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post

^ I was shorthanding. On the assumption that the flannel used in the suit is a woolen, I focused on what seemed like the important distinction: woolen flannel v. worsted wool suiting. I don't disagree with you at all and appreciate you expanding on the issue for the benefit of the thread!

Operative word for noodles would be non-flannel vs flannel

I think the takeaway for Noodles is that the following durability/shine-prone scale exists, but a flannel suit of any kind is worth getting, especially that Formosa:

worsted non-flannel suiting > worsted flannel > woolen flannel
post #14123 of 37417
How are you defining durability? I guess what I am asking is ...

Let's say a person wears each type of fabric once per week to a normal desk job and we assume that this person does all the correct things to take care of their garments - are you able to quantify just how fast some break down versus others?
post #14124 of 37417
Durability = tendency to shine

Worsted is better at avoiding this state than woolen. In this sense, a pair of worsted pants will last longer than woolen flannels if you're constantly moving around

@jerrybrowne hasn't this been your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post

How are you defining durability? I guess what I am asking is ...

Let's say a person wears each type of fabric once per week to a normal desk job and we assume that this person does all the correct things to take care of their garments - are you able to quantify just how fast some break down versus others?
post #14125 of 37417
Sorry, let me rephrase ... that part I knew.

What I am trying to ask is when the shine would set in (approximation of course) for the various types of fabrics, using a once per week wearing as the measuring stick since that's pretty easy to work with.

e.g. you'd get a good year from fabric A but more like only 8 months for fabric B, etc. etc.
post #14126 of 37417
Not sure, maybe we should start a series called iGent Mythbusters? smile.gif

Who wants to send me some worsted and woolen flannel pants to scientifically test? Edmorel? Chorse? GDL? Kent Wang?

TM79 will need a few pairs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM79 View Post

Sorry, let me rephrase ... that part I knew.

What I am trying to ask is when the shine would set in (approximation of course) for the various types of fabrics, using a once per week wearing as the measuring stick since that's pretty easy to work with.

e.g. you'd get a good year from fabric A but more like only 8 months for fabric B, etc. etc.
post #14127 of 37417
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post


That flannel suit is absolutely stunning, but flannel is not so durable in my experience...

Really? frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

My MO from now on for B&T is to get one every trip. I'll send the fabric ahead, show up at the beginning of my trip for a basted fitting. Pop in before going for a forward fitting. Have them ship it when they are done.

Sounds great! I want to do that. How often do you plan on that being?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

Any Despos to mix things up?

I think it is about twice the price.

---

As far as durability goes, it's something I'm always very nervous of, and therefore I try not to wear any suit more than a few times a month.
post #14128 of 37417
It's not just the shining problem: I've ripped the seam of the seat in two pairs of flannel trousers because the fabric was worn out. Those were not old...
post #14129 of 37417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post

My MO from now on for B&T is to get one every trip. I'll send the fabric ahead, show up at the beginning of my trip for a basted fitting. Pop in before going for a forward fitting. Have them ship it when they are done.
When do you go?
Sounds like we can have a reunion in Seoul!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

It's not just the shining problem: I've ripped the seam of the seat in two pairs of flannel trousers because the fabric was worn out. Those were not old...
Now you got me all worried!
post #14130 of 37417
Quote:
Originally Posted by EliodA View Post

It's not just the shining problem: I've ripped the seam of the seat in two pairs of flannel trousers because the fabric was worn out. Those were not old...

Who made them?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)