Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:27 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 939post #14071 of 3739610/23/14 at 1:00pmpost #14072 of 3739610/23/14 at 1:01pm
You have got to be kidding me!
I hate it when people do not listen to good advice. However, this is more about taste.
Good advice goes unheeded?!
Get out of here!
What about the 3 damn suits that I got rid of for 1/10(?) of the retail price?
What about the damn Isaia suit that I returned?
What about all the damn ties I purchased?
What about all the damn navy ties that I returned?
Get out of here!post #14073 of 3739610/23/14 at 1:03pmThis thread never ceases to entertain. Noodles, assuming you are getting a decent price on a lightly used Formosa from Murl, this seems like a really good idea. Buy the Formosa you like from NMWA and use the proceeds from your other sales to get the Formosa from Murl (which will be much nicer than anything you buy from SS).post #14074 of 3739610/23/14 at 1:04pmpost #14075 of 3739610/23/14 at 1:05pmpost #14076 of 3739610/23/14 at 1:05pmRight. But you are ignoring great advice to buy the Murl suit. Its objectively awesome and your resistance is foolish, based off of a foolish notion you created, that I am sure would be dispelled after one wear of the suit, like so many of your notions that came and went in this thread.
HOWEVER, if you can swing only one suit now, and you want the birdseye more, and you know it will be available, that is the only reasonable reason to pass on the Murl suit.
If by any way you can swing both, do that 100%. Hell, if you need some time to kop the Murl suit, Im sure he will hold it for you. If he doesnt, whoops!post #14077 of 3739610/23/14 at 1:06pmpost #14078 of 3739610/23/14 at 1:08pm
Noodles why do you think the gray suit won't look good?
Like to be fair I personally prefer more british styling and stronger shoulders, but that suit is just objectively good looking, and having variety is not bad. Complexion wise when I said some grays don't look great for east Asians I don't think this applies because it has enough textural interest and you can still have high contrast.post #14079 of 3739610/23/14 at 1:15pmpost #14080 of 3739610/23/14 at 1:17pmpost #14081 of 3739610/23/14 at 1:18pmpost #14082 of 3739610/23/14 at 1:19pmpost #14083 of 3739610/23/14 at 1:23pm
Patch pockets on a suit imply less formality than besom or flap pockets. You wear suits every day to work but--and this is inference so could be wrong--don't frequently meet with clients. Therefore, the slightly more casual element of patch pockets will have no effect on the appropriateness of the suit at all for your typical use. At most, they will be a signifier that you're a person who thinks about clothes, but it sounds like your co-workers already know that about you. Most people won't notice them. But as you wear the suit, you'll come to think of them as a cool differentiator.post #14084 of 3739610/23/14 at 1:24pmpost #14085 of 3739610/23/14 at 1:25pmThey ARE more casual, but do you seriously think you'll encounter a lot of people who are aware of the different levels of formality in pocket types on a daily basis? If it's alright to walk around without a jacket when wearing a tie, patch pockets shouldn't be a problem. It all comes down to what you prefer I guess. Personally, I always prefer patch pockets to flaps, but it seems like you don't. I think you've gathered enough basic knowledge to be able to go with the pocket style you prefer.
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Pocket square advice 2 minutes ago
- › What TV Series Are You Streaming Lately? 2 minutes ago
- › Jeans 20 minutes ago
- › Viberg Boots 23 minutes ago
- › ***Finally an Official Baller sneaker thread ($300 minimum)*** 24 minutes ago
- › Crockett & Jones MTO Central 24 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 32 minutes ago
- › STYLEFORUM GIVES 2016 - OUR ANNUAL HOLIDAY CHARITY AUCTIONS FOR THE... 51 minutes ago
- › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › Shetland Sweaters 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Fashion Forward brands that will be big in
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway