So you dislike all high waisted trousers because of an 80s/90s trend? I don't think mom jeans look all that bad, as long as they're in a dark wash denim. BNtailor had some awesome higher waisted jeans on their Instagram a while back.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicConservative Buisness Dresstagged by Murlsquirl, 3/14/15
- topicEdward Greentagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- itemEdward Green Galwaytagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- topicFruitagged by Cleav, 4/5/15
- topicHarris Tweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- categoryJacketstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicJohn Lobbtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Lobb Brandtagged by Cleav, 3/31/15
- brandJohn Smedleytagged by Cleav, 1/8/16More
- itemJohn Smedley Cardigantagged by Cleav, 1/8/16
- brandPantatagged by Cleav, 1/7/16
- brandRolextagged by Cleav, 12/29/15
- categoryShirtstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandShirts Tiestagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Blazertagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- itemShirts & Ties Jackettagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- topicShoe Caretagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categorySportscoats And Blazerstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicSuit Alternationstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuitstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- categorySuits Blazerstagged by LA Guy, 8/16/14
- brandSuitSupplytagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- categoryTiestagged by in stitches, 2/20/15
- topicTrouser Alterationstagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
- topicTweedtagged by Cleav, 3/12/15
Related Forum Threads
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 2:46 am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF AUG 24, 2015 Last post on 5/28/16 at 9:36am in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF JUL 6, 2015 Last post on 7/12/15 at 5:06pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 20, 2015 Last post on 4/26/15 at 5:41pm in Classic Menswear
- NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF APR 13, 2015 Last post on 9/22/15 at 11:44pm in Classic Menswear
How Should I Start My Business Wardrobe?
Last edited: 5/16/13
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Autumn Fabrics: TweedLast edited: 9/1/15
- Allen Edmonds: Sizing GuideLast edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
- Your MadeInItaly
Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 934post #13996 of 3736510/23/14 at 5:58ampost #13997 of 3736510/23/14 at 6:38ampost #13998 of 3736510/23/14 at 8:27amQuote:Originally Posted by Isolation
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)Yeah I mean I see they bulge a bit on the side they aren't great, but it still seems like a huge exaggeration to me to say I'm better off OTR. You know that these trousers cost about the same as OTR right (it's <70 GBP for CMT)? I've never find OTR trousers that actually fit as well as these. I'm still not convinced why it's a bad idea to try fill up my wardrobe this way, or how going for RTW would be better.
Here are the trousers with belts on:
I think the break is pretty much where I want it, and I specifically asked for slimmer trousers and I feel like they did a pretty good job with that.
I don't see why these are seen to be so godawful when lots of trousers I see posted don't have perfect lines and such either. They seem perfectly servicable to me. Comparing this to something I'd get from steed seems pretty irrelevant when a pair of trousers from them cost I think 3-4x as much?
It looks better with belts on and will look better with suspenders. From my layman's eyes, it looks like your body will be hard to fit by any tailor so I won't recommend just jumping tailors since bespoke fit improves with time, but I would advice you suspend all future commissions till you've educated yourself on proper pant fit and use that knowledge to guide your tailor. Phat Guildo and other hong kong SFers did the same thing and got good results.
Fix the diaper issue, widen the hips and the leg and it will look decent. At that price, I don't really fault your decision.post #13999 of 3736510/23/14 at 8:44ampost #14000 of 3736510/23/14 at 8:49ampost #14001 of 3736510/23/14 at 9:02amQuote:
Drake's has a pretty extensive (maybe expensive) collection: http://www.drakes.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=fairislepost #14002 of 3736510/23/14 at 9:08ampost #14003 of 3736510/23/14 at 9:09ampost #14004 of 3736510/23/14 at 9:11amThread StarterKulata just mentioned price, and Iso, you've mentioned it a number of times.
Whether or not you purchase something should be influenced by price. Whether or not you are happy with something shouldn't be.*
You should not be happy with those pants. Not for a hundred dollars. Not for fifty. Not for free. Now, you've got to wear pants, I understand (this isn't Baltimore after all), but the attitude of "well, it's ok given the price" will leave you destined for disappointment.
By all means go back to your tailor. Get some pictures and circle the parts unacceptable. If you can't see it, I'm sure one of us will be happy to circle it for you. Go in. Tell them your next pair of pants shouldn't have these issues.
Do not get into the habit of settling when it is unnecessary to settle.
* you need a car and only have a grand to spend, so you buy a beater stinking of rum and old sex, with paint peeling off, springs bursting through seats, and "wash me" keyed into the hood. It may give you hepatitis. Now, if you need to get to work and that car is the only one available, buying it is the right choice. But you shouldn't be happy driving your '88 Dodge Thundershart.post #14005 of 3736510/23/14 at 9:18ampost #14006 of 3736510/23/14 at 9:29am
Okay, I can't take it anymore. Screw this. I'll just SF at work, and never outside of work.
So, here's a summary of what's going on in my sartorial life:
1. Waiting on Formosa navy birdseye suit. Will pull the trigger when I get the twitter alert.
2. Will go get a $500~ suit from Suit Supply this or next weekend. Lazio or Napoli per Kulata's advice.
3. Sold the last Zegna suit that never fit me from the start but will keep the other 2 as beaters.
4. I was polishing my shoes with a bathroom towel. Is this bad? Should I take my wife's stocking or something?
5. Want to start looking at odd jacket and trousers look (OJT). So here is what I have in mind to start off. Let me know your thoughts.post #14007 of 3736510/23/14 at 9:31amQuote:
She's apparently monitoring his posting on here as well, so if he posts in the open he gets in trouble.
I think murl needs to post a picture of a smaller purse for his nads ;)
Edit: Wow. He lives!
@The Noodles , that would go awesome together except that the jacket would look too suit-ish maybe? I'll defer to @Cleav @Murlsquirl @in stitches about this though.
Side note, just get a few terry cloths or use old ripped socks to polish shoes + horse brushes first to get the dirt off. If the towels are soft, it's probably fine, but stockings aren't going to work and I'm sure your wife isn't going to like your snooping around her hosiery lol.post #14008 of 3736510/23/14 at 9:39am
This should have been Noodles CT.
Also, pant are sometimes required even in Baltimore.Quote:
That combo he posted would be awesome. As to the jacket being "to suitish," if Greg is selling it on NMWA as a SC, then it is unquestionable not too suitish.post #14009 of 3736510/23/14 at 9:40ampost #14010 of 3736510/23/14 at 9:40am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Plaza Last
- › Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing,... 24 seconds ago
- › Fake or Real (Authentic, Genuine, etc.) -- Official Authentication... 2 minutes ago
- › Should I buy Tan wing tip Wolverine 1000 mile boot? 4 minutes ago
- › The official thrift/discount store bragging thread - Part II... 6 minutes ago
- › Skoaktiebolaget - Carmina, Bonafè, Carlos Santos, Saint Crispin's,... 12 minutes ago
- › Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions 13 minutes ago
- › Crusty's "What I wore on this Date in History" - a walk down memory... 33 minutes ago
- › The Official Beer Thread 36 minutes ago
- › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality,... 45 minutes ago
- › The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions 52 minutes ago
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Alden Black Shell Cordovan Plain Toe by smfdoc
- › Florsheim Vincent Wingtip Oxford by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Lasalle Dress Shoes by Lobster33
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...