or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 876

post #13126 of 37405
Yes they run slim and you want to wear it over a suit. I thought you were supposed to be over this number thing? rolleyes.gif You should only care about a good and comfortable fit, not the label number.

They only have 1 of each size in stock so if you really want it and don't want to be disappointed if the 52 is a touch slim just order both. Or wait and take your chances with moving on to something else if necessary.
post #13127 of 37405
You Noodlers think I'm nuts to consider shortening this Formosa SC .5-.75 " or so? Is this an extensive undertaking and do I run the risk of wrecking the balance, and lines of the quarters? I can remember some years ago going into Louis Boston and asking to see some Shorts (SC's). The SA replied, oh no, we don't stock Shorts anymore, people just have them shortened. Hmmm...


AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
post #13128 of 37405
Don't do it!!! It will ruin the cut and not something I'd advice anyone to do. Just wear it as is.
post #13129 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post

Don't do it!!! It will ruin the cut and not something I'd advice anyone to do. Just wear it as is.

The voice of reason, once again talking me out of the picnic (attack) basket. satisfied.gif

Thanks for the advice, k.
post #13130 of 37405
Pin it or have the tailor pin it and see what you think before doing it. But I don't think it's complicated or even risky, as the operation can be reversed afaik
post #13131 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL View Post

The voice of reason, once again talking me out of the picnic (attack) basket. satisfied.gif

Thanks for the advice, k.

Good choice. Leave it alone....it isn't all that long.
post #13132 of 37405
How does it look from the side?
post #13133 of 37405
@The Noodles I think 50 Formosa = 54 LBM overcoat if you actually want to wear it over a suit. I have the navy doublebreasted casentino from last year in 52 and I can wear it over a suit jacket but a little room would be better. As always check with Greg and Kyle or order 52 and 50 and return the one that doesn't work.

@AJL Leave that Formosa alone!
Edited by Mr. Six - 10/12/14 at 10:28am
post #13134 of 37405
I'd return it.

Or if you want, you can have a good tailor pin it to make sure it doesn't throw off the balance
post #13135 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd617 View Post

I'd return it.

Or if you want, you can have a good tailor pin it to make sure it doesn't throw off the balance

He can't return...Formosa MTO.
post #13136 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJL View Post

You Noodlers think I'm nuts to consider shortening this Formosa SC .5-.75 " or so? Is this an extensive undertaking and do I run the risk of wrecking the balance, and lines of the quarters? I can remember some years ago going into Louis Boston and asking to see some Shorts (SC's). The SA replied, oh no, we don't stock Shorts anymore, people just have them shortened. Hmmm...


AppleMark
AppleMark
AppleMark
Dont touch the masterpiece!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post

Don't do it!!! It will ruin the cut and not something I'd advice anyone to do. Just wear it as is.
I strongly agree with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Six View Post

@The Noodles I think 50 Formosa = 54 LBM overcoat of you actually want to wear it over a suit. I have the navy case brink in 52 and I can wear it over a suit jacket but a little room would be better. As always check with Greg and Kyle or order 52 and 50 and return the one that doesn't work.

@AJL Leave that Formosa alone!
54???
Also, which Formosa suits do you have? I hear you have some MTO that dont appear on NMWA website.
post #13137 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Pin it or have the tailor pin it and see what you think before doing it. But I don't think it's complicated or even risky, as the operation can be reversed afaik
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

Pin it or have the tailor pin it and see what you think before doing it. But I don't think it's complicated or even risky, as the operation can be reversed afaik

yeah, not an impossible thing to do but you have two issues that I see if you go that route. One is that its a patch pocket jacket (I think) and the edge of the jacket will be too close to the bottom of the pocket. Not really an issue that anyone will notice but you may care. Second thing is, the buttoning point on it is low, which is fine, but shortening the jacket will visually lower the buttoning point more.
post #13138 of 37405
AJL, I've done this, but the other way around. I lengthened a jacket. It was a pretty big operation, since I also had to move the patch pockets to keep the balance. It ended up looking great though, so it's not impossible. Find the right tailor to do it before cutting into it. Also, Ed's comment about the buttoning point is something you seriously want to consider.
post #13139 of 37405
Moving the pockets changes their relation to the buttons, which may be undesirable.

I definitely favor just leaving the jacket as-is. I think it looks great. My suggestion of pinning it first is only in the case you do decide to hem it.
post #13140 of 37405
@AJL the very open quarters of the jacket makes it visually shorter than it is, so it works very well with the long length. If the quarters were more closed then I'd just advice you to make pants and wear it as a blazer suit biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)