or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 819

post #12271 of 37396
FYI, the collars on CT shirts are usually terrible. Shirts are also the one thing I wouldn't thrift or buy second hand. You can get a Luxire MTM shirt for $60. Get some nice light blue end-on-ends.
post #12272 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post

FYI, the collars on CT shirts are usually terrible. Shirts are also the one thing I wouldn't thrift or buy second hand. You can get a Luxire MTM shirt for $60. Get some nice light blue end-on-ends.

 

Define terrible. They're still spread collars and probably far better than the other ones I have. The shirts I posted were new. I'm planning on buying a few of them till I find something better at that price.

 

Honestly, most of my shirts are thrifted. 4 bucks for a shirt is still a lot better than 60. I've found a bunch of j crew stuff in my size around here. The shirts are good enough for work and the bdc's are fine for wearing with an SC here or there. The cuts are also slim enough to wear without a jacket.

post #12273 of 37396
Welcome to Boston, Noodles!




@rtc
Pm me ur digits!
Edited by The Noodles - 9/24/14 at 10:12am
post #12274 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Define terrible. They're still spread collars and probably far better than the other ones I have. The shirts I posted were new. I'm planning on buying a few of them till I find something better at that price.

Honestly, most of my shirts are thrifted. 4 bucks for a shirt is still a lot better than 60. I've found a bunch of j crew stuff in my size around here. The shirts are good enough for work and the bdc's are fine for wearing with an SC here or there. The cuts are also slim enough to wear without a jacket.
I won't call CT shirts terrible but I prefer TM Lewin to CT shirts and you can always get a Polo Ralph Lauren dress shirt in TJ Maxx or Marshalls.
post #12275 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post


I won't call CT shirts terrible but I prefer TM Lewin to CT shirts and you can always get a Polo Ralph Lauren dress shirt in TJ Maxx or Marshalls.

 

One of the nicest ones I've owned was a prl regent fit. I'll have to check a TJmaxx and marshalls this weekend to look. I have a feeling that the price will be pretty similar though (25-30 bucks a shirt) so that's not so bad for picking up a few staples. 

post #12276 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Define terrible. They're still spread collars and probably far better than the other ones I have. The shirts I posted were new. I'm planning on buying a few of them till I find something better at that price.

Honestly, most of my shirts are thrifted. 4 bucks for a shirt is still a lot better than 60. I've found a bunch of j crew stuff in my size around here. The shirts are good enough for work and the bdc's are fine for wearing with an SC here or there. The cuts are also slim enough to wear without a jacket.

I have 4 CT shirts I got for 39$ each during a promotion. For that price they're great. But at full price, you can do better.
post #12277 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppercorn78 View Post


I have 4 CT shirts I got for 39$ each during a promotion. For that price they're great. But at full price, you can do better.

 

Yeah, these are like 25-30 bucks on ebay for new shirts. 

post #12278 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

Yeah, these are like 25-30 bucks on ebay for new shirts. 

I say go for it, as long as u trust the seller
post #12279 of 37396
Both CT and TM Lewin are ok shirts (especially considering the price), but their collars are usually very stiff.
post #12280 of 37396
CT collars can be a bit stiff. I'm slowly phasing out my CT shirts in favor of better MTM options, but they work perfectly fine. If you are wearing a tie, I suggest not wearing collar stays. I find the collar points fall nicely without a tie and not having the piece of metal in my collar makes it more comfortable. YMMV.
post #12281 of 37396

Thanks guys, just got the plain light blue and navy/white stripe for 51 bucks shipped. 

post #12282 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post
 

 

One of the nicest ones I've owned was a prl regent fit. I'll have to check a TJmaxx and marshalls this weekend to look. I have a feeling that the price will be pretty similar though (25-30 bucks a shirt) so that's not so bad for picking up a few staples. 

 

Go to the Marshalls on Boylston for your best chance

post #12283 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by europrep View Post
 

 

Go to the Marshalls on Boylston for your best chance

 

Thanks! I've seen some super nice stuff there. Pretty sure I saw a brioni SC there. Was pretty shocked, tbh. 

post #12284 of 37396

@The Noodles: Coming out of the woodworks with all this Boston talk.  While you're in town , you should swing by Mass Ave near the South End area on Saturday.  Berkelee school of music has a free jazz fest from 12 to 6, some great talent and a wonderful way to start an exploration of South End's restaurants for brunch.  It's supposed to be a beautiful day too.  As for food, you've gotten a number of good recs, but here are a few more:

 

Drink or Liberty Hotel for cocktails (one's in the Seaport area the latter's near MGH)

Definitely Modern over Mike's for pastries/dessert

Gourmet Dumpling House for decent fare in Chinatown

If you're in Brookline, a good tapas place that's laid back, inexpensive, and great ambiance is Barcelona. 

SOWA open air market in South End if you're around on Sunday

Louis Boston in Seaport area for shopping for men's clothes/accessories, otherwise Back Bay should be fine. I love the architecture there and in Beacon Hill.  They have walking tours aplenty if that's your thing. 

Oleana's or Ten Tables in Cambridge for good dining at a reasonable price

L'espalier for great dining at a less reasonable price

 

Boston's a great city with a lot to offer.  Hope you and the wifey enjoy the trip. 

post #12285 of 37396
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoKey View Post
 

@The Noodles: Coming out of the woodworks with all this Boston talk.  While you're in town , you should swing by Mass Ave near the South End area on Saturday.  Berkelee school of music has a free jazz fest from 12 to 6, some great talent and a wonderful way to start an exploration of South End's restaurants for brunch.  It's supposed to be a beautiful day too.  As for food, you've gotten a number of good recs, but here are a few more:

 

Drink or Liberty Hotel for cocktails (one's in the Seaport area the latter's near MGH)

Definitely Modern over Mike's for pastries/dessert

Gourmet Dumpling House for decent fare in Chinatown

If you're in Brookline, a good tapas place that's laid back, inexpensive, and great ambiance is Barcelona. 

SOWA open air market in South End if you're around on Sunday

Louis Boston in Seaport area for shopping for men's clothes/accessories, otherwise Back Bay should be fine. I love the architecture there and in Beacon Hill.  They have walking tours aplenty if that's your thing. 

Oleana's or Ten Tables in Cambridge for good dining at a reasonable price

L'espalier for great dining at a less reasonable price

 

Boston's a great city with a lot to offer.  Hope you and the wifey enjoy the trip. 

 

I recommend both those places and I barely have to leave the building to get to one of them. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)